Known Issue List

charlesrshell

SatelliteGuys Crazy
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 14, 2006
O'Fallon, IL
Can the DIRT folks provide a known issue list? Maybe make the list a sticky thread. I know the DIRT folks would probably be restricted on the status of issues, but at least we would know a particular issue we have is known and being worked on.

Last edited:
Can the DIRT folks provide a known issue list? Maybe make the list a sticky thread. I know the DIRT folks would probably be restricted on the status of issues, but at least we would know it is being worked on.

I worked in the semiconductor industry for almost 40 years. If any of the many vendors who provided software to us had acted like D* or E* does with information about updates they would have been out of business quickly. I stick with D* or E* because of their superior DVR technology but before year end my local Cable company is going to have a 6 tuner whole home setup available.

Can the DIRT folks provide a known issue list? Maybe make the list a sticky thread. I know the DIRT folks would probably be restricted on the status of issues, but at least we would know a particular issue we have is known and being worked on.
If it's been posted/reported here, it's "known" to Dish's s/w engineering group.

I don't think Dish will ever acknowledge that an issue is "being worked on" unless it's a really, really bad problem.

If it's been posted/reported here, it's "known" to Dish's s/w engineering group.

I don't think Dish will ever acknowledge that an issue is "being worked on" unless it's a really, really bad problem.

I realize that an issue reported here is a known issue after a DIRT member says it is, but I think it would be nice if there is a list of known issues. That way if a member is having an issue, a known issue list could be checked to see if Dish's software engineers are already aware of it. Would save time searching for it, posting the issue when it has already been posted, etc, etc.

I realize that an issue reported here is a known issue after a DIRT member says it is, but I think it would be nice if there is a list of known issues. That way if a member is having an issue, a known issue list could be checked to see if Dish's software engineers are already aware of it.
My point is, I have a sneaking suspicion that their software engineers "lurk" here, DBSTalk, and other forums.

Sent from my d2lte using Tapatalk

Sales people working for cable and DTV would really love a Hopper system known issues list.

That may be true but how about a list of fixes that a S/W update was supposed to correct so we can check and report? That shouldn't be too hard or give too much info to the competition.

When I used to call CSRs at D* or E* to report a problem I was invariably told that I was the first person to report that problem. I really doubt that the S/W engineers have a real updated list of problems and their priorities to fix. This stuff isn't that complicated. It's common hardware parsing a common data stream. Some of the problems may be due to processor overload but Dish created that themselves because the original Hoppers ran pretty fast with a few problems like occasional incomplete or lost recordings and lost channels in custom favorites lists. Somehow in fixing those, and adding apps and new features, it looks like things are actually regressing because I haven't seen anything new and good in the last few updates except for the ability to stack 30/10 sec skips and my Hoppers continue to get s l o w e r.

I worked in the semiconductor industry for almost 40 years. If any of the many vendors who provided software to us had acted like D* or E* does with information about updates...
Completely different scenario here. Dish customers aren't paying for software like the business relationship you're describing.

But we're paying for service, and sometimes not getting it.

When I used to call CSRs at D* or E* to report a problem I was invariably told that I was the first person to report that problem.

Reports (Technical Product Reports or TPRs) are sent to our Technical Operations Group. Engineering or Uplink are only notified if a trend appears. Issues are added to the known product issues or known channel issues list once this happens. Thus, it may be an actual issue but only the first time a CSR has heard of the issue since it is not on the list yet.

You also will not be contacted about a fix but may be contacted by the Technical Operations Group if they need to collect additional information about the issue.

Is the request to add a by time sort to Themes searches on the fix list? It was taken away and replaced by an alphabetic sort. The alphabetic sort is ok but much less useful to someone looking for a program to watch now.

Is the request to add a by time sort to Themes searches on the fix list? It was taken away and replaced by an alphabetic sort. The alphabetic sort is ok but much less useful to someone looking for a program to watch now.

The list does not contain requests to add features back but rather issues affecting performance.

Wow is that sad. Features and performance are important to Dish customers. So you are telling us that we cannot get features back or added. Most of the complaints here are about features such as the guide font size, what sorts are preferred, inability to add a singe local, etc. All these things were available to us and taken away without a clue as to why.

Wow is that sad. Features and performance are important to Dish customers. So you are telling us that we cannot get features back or added. Most of the complaints here are about features such as the guide font size, what sorts are preferred, inability to add a singe local, etc. All these things were available to us and taken away without a clue as to why.

Not at all. He's saying you went to the repair shop with a request that next year's model Rolls Kinhardly have the "OOOOOW-GAH" horn brought back. You should take such a request to Marketing or some such. The wrench turner has no say or even input on future features, whether or not they existed before. And he certainly cannot add such "on the sly."

A properly run software shop will have programmers, or programming teams, assigned certain tasks/features to work on. They present the proposed package to "QA" or "Consolidation" or whatever you want to call them. THIS TEAM compiles the code and adds it to the core package. No one else has access to the core package. This prevents "rogue" programmers from changing things they were not tasked with. How do I know this? Because when I programmed for the Navy, they let any programmer do anything and just keep quiet about it. No control whatsoever, and no track history of what was really changed so you knew where to look. Never mind my work toward a CS Master's, I wasn't "rank" enough, and none of this changed until someone a little more "rank" than me came in and forced the issue. Too bad they were outside inspectors. And for our LASS programmers- it NEVER changed. It only stopped for them when those systems were frozen with no further updates (when the last LASS programmers retired- with BIG grins on their faces) and then when retired from service.

Last edited:
Reports (Technical Product Reports or TPRs) are sent to our Technical Operations Group. Engineering or Uplink are only notified if a trend appears. Issues are added to the known product issues or known channel issues list once this happens. Thus, it may be an actual issue but only the first time a CSR has heard of the issue since it is not on the list yet.

You also will not be contacted about a fix but may be contacted by the Technical Operations Group if they need to collect additional information about the issue.

Maybe that in itself is a problem. How many numbers of a problem must be reported before it's a trend? Suppose a lot of subs are living with something or not noticing it? For example I just saw that the conflict resolver isn't working properly after S428 and I only found out by reading a thread here. Our group is probably a lot more aware of bugs and more proactive in reporting them than the average sub.

Absolutely, and in addition I also want the blue "S" back.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)