Ku band issue. Possible bad Lnb?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

PKII

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 22, 2005
WV
This all started when I was programming my C band satellites back into my Openbox S10 after the latest firmware update.

Ku worked fine prior to programming my C band satellites. Then, I noticed something odd. I had to unplug my c band lnb from my Digiwave DiSEqC switch for the Ku to work. The C band channels came in fine. Later after watching C band for quite a while. I tried unplugging the Cband so I could watch Ku and there was still no Ku channels. Even with it hooked up all correctly it did not work. I have my ports set correctly in the receiver. And I continue to still be able to receive C band channels but zero Ku.

I have a Gbox that controls the motor on the C band dish and it is connected to the receiver.

I am thinking perhaps the Ku LNB is bad. I moved my Ku to 97w and hooked my Acutrac 22 Pro up to see if I was getting signal. When I first hooked up the connections it said something to the effect "too much power" not those exact words but I don't recall the exact words. I've never seen it say that before.

I checked the power coming from the receiver for C band and I get the following numbers: 19.1V Curr 3 to 7MA (kept changing) then I checked Ku it said 18.9V to 19V(kept changing) and 65 to 74MA (kept changing).

65 to 74MA? Is that normal? I don't recall ever seeing it that high before. But I don't really remember looking at it either.

Bad LNB?

Last edited:
Too complicated I assume? lol

I haven't had time to try to get it to work. Unplugged till after the holiday.

Mine did that once almost the same problem. It turned out to be the V-box. Bypass your G-box to rule it out, just throw a barrel in line and manually move the dish to a satellite and then go to your openbox and select what ever you want to watch on that satellite. Then try another bird of course having to move the dish your self with the g-box since it is out of line. Try both C-band and Ku. That's what I did to mine. I was checking to see that connections were tight and on the back of the dish mover it shocked the pee out of me. So I bypassed it and all came back in except I have to use two remotes each time I changed birds. Also check all of your connectors, in fact just replace em, its cheap enough.

PKII,

First rule in troubleshooting... "Divide and Conquer"

That is exactly what Ke4est is stating. You eliminate all the "unnecessary" components to achieve the signal download and check your results.
So, drive the dish to a known working position for Ku signal reception. Power down and remove the DiSEqC switch, the GBox/Vbox, and as many connection points as possible. Then power back up and check your signal results. Then also try swapping cables with known good ones if possible. Reduce the entire system to the most simplest of components that are necessary. If no Ku signal comes through then, you have at least reduced your possibilities of errors.

Don't forget to double check your receiver settings, just in case you made a human error. Everyone knows that such errors occur, even by the pros. Always double and triple check this. Then you will be down to the LNBF, the dish alignment and the receiver hardware as culprits. Swap out one of the electrical components first, whichever is least expensive and least labor intensive and recheck your signal. Don't jump into tweaking the dish or motor until you have triple checked everything else first. In this case, dish alignment is not likely to be the cause.

RADAR

I replaced the LNB first.

And poof it worked. :)

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts