Ku-Band Satellite Installation Kit (How-to-do)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JosephHolloway1998

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 29, 2019
Porter Ranch, CA
My motives of going for a backup dish is not receiving Angels and Kings games (as a result of the DISH contract dispute with Fox Sports removing all its regional channels), as for the backup dish that I'm going for (Ku-Band) in addition to DiSEqC, what Installation Kit (How-to-do) will I need for the dish I've selected?
We'd have to install it ourselves, In order to avoid paying large installation fees (since we'll have to pay extra for going with another provider). But the only thing I'm missing is the ladder!

Last edited:
Other than a "How to Install" Kit, the only thing I'm lacking at this moment is a ladder to get up there and install it (a ladder stabilizer or something to tie it will be needed in order to prevent falling).

Wait...what? You are getting a ku dish? For Angels and Kings games. You won't find many of those on Ku. Maybe...maybe 2 to 3 a season total combined.
Maybe spring training Angels games.

So Dish doesn't have FSN right now? Dish had FSW2 before DirecTV in the 90s. Times have changed. Skyrocketing sports prices has pushed Charlie out of the market.
Hopefully you find some games
Rough season for our Kings....

Sent from my LM-G710VM using the SatelliteGuys app!

You should ask around at a local satellite shop to see if anyone has been able to accomplish what you're planning. As Mikel suggests, you may be very disappointed with the result.

If you do find satisfaction, don't blab to the World about it as it could cease overnight (through encryption or a move to a different medium -- microwave, Internet, C-band) if the news gets out.

Wait...what? You are getting a ku dish? For Angels and Kings games. You won't find many of those on Ku. Maybe...maybe 2 to 3 a season total combined.
Maybe spring training Angels games.

So Dish doesn't have FSN right now? Dish had FSW2 before DirecTV in the 90s. Times have changed. Skyrocketing sports prices has pushed Charlie out of the market.
Hopefully you find some games
Rough season for our Kings....

Sent from my LM-G710VM using the SatelliteGuys app!
What I mean are Ducks games (NHL), Angels preseason games doesn't start until Feb 2020.

What I mean are Ducks games (NHL), Angels preseason games doesn't start until Feb 2020.
What we're saying is that unless you have strong evidence to the contrary, there may not be enough games (during their respective seasons) to justify the investment in hardware and installation. I encourage you to look into it diligently rather than reasoning that the feeds must be there as there are options other than FTA Ku available to the producers.

Joseph, in most cases, the approach to receiving feeds should be "maybe i'll be lucky and find something good". There's absolutely no guaranty that you'll find a feed for a specific game. Of course with experience you will know where to look (I have no clue as i'm not into sports), just like I know to look on 22w Ku whenever there's a significant event in Europe that would warrant a live feed to CNN. But it's still always a gamble.

This said, it's clear to anyone who's been regularly reading this forum for the past year that you have an interest in the topic of satellites, and i encourage you to get a dish and see for yourself what's up there. Just don't expect that a game = a feed.

Also, you might want to start with something easier and cheaper. I'm not saying that that 120cm dish at tek2000 is bad - It's probably very good - but it's a complex setup for just a 120 cm dish, as it requires an actuator and a positioner. Also the shipping costs might be quite high. Instead, you might want to start with a 90cm dish on a diseqc motor. That won't require a positioner. Is it as good as the 120 cm system from Tek200? Probably not. But it's probably 1/5th if not 1/8th the cost and will probably receive almost the same stuff, minus some feeds on 99W Ku (and I think those are mostly news feeds).

Reactions: spongella
Well I've been saving my coins for it, but I'll probably use that for the ladder and the ladder stabilizer (to keep it from falling) as I'm supposed to save it for my Winter vacation.
Have you verified with reliable sources that many FTA Ku game feeds are available?

There are other uses for such a setup but if you can't accomplish your primary goals, you may be disappointed with your investment of time and money.

Well I've already gotten a new ladder (when our house was rented, the guest who rented it stole our old one), but he told me not to go for the Backup dish (Ku-band), I told him that the Dish Network subscription cannot be cancelled since its on AutoPay and because of the large cancellation fee. I told him about Rainier Satellite which can receive C-Band programming and gave him the number (the Ku dish comes later), but I'm not sure If I can receive Ku programming with Rainier?

Well I've already gotten a new ladder (when our house was rented, the guest who rented it stole our old one), but he told me not to go for the Backup dish (Ku-band), I told him that the Dish Network subscription cannot be cancelled since its on AutoPay and because of the large cancellation fee.
Whoa! AutoPay has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not you can cancel DISH. The Early Termination Fee is real and would cost you $20/month for that portion of your two year commitment that you're bailing on (if any). You should confirm where you're at in that cycle.
I told him about Rainier Satellite which can receive C-Band programming and gave him the number (the Ku dish comes later), but I'm not sure If I can receive Ku programming with Rainier?
Rainier's programming subscription service is strictly C-band (because that's where all the feeds are).

As such, this requires some manner of Big Ugly Dish (BUD). Rainier offers a 9' fiberglass dish that is $1,559 delivered (no LNB, motor or mover). The mover and LNB equipment is another $809. The receiver they offer is $677.77 but you may be able to find something used that supports the PowerVu conditional access device. Ku FTA is a bonus.

They also charge by the year and the rates add up to just under $1 per channel per month.

You have to be heavily vested in C-band to have this many any sense at all as the dance card is over $3,100 plus installation and programming is on top of that.

Rainier's programming subscription service is strictly C-band (because that's where all the feeds are).

As such, this requires some manner of Big Ugly Dish (BUD). Rainier offers a 9' fiberglass dish that is $1,559 delivered (no LNB, motor or mover). The mover and LNB equipment is another $809. The receiver they offer is $677.77 but you may be able to find something used that supports the PowerVu conditional access device. Ku FTA is a bonus.

They also charge by the year and the rates add up to just under $1 per channel per month.

You have to be heavily vested in C-band to have this many any sense at all as the dance card is over $3,100 plus installation and programming is on top of that.
Whoa! That's way too much, too pricey for a single dish ($1,559), It costs a little over what I have ($1406.16)
I'd probably stick with the 120cm (48 in.) Ku dish with the Edision OS MIO+ 4K UHD receiver (which replaces the old Analog Videocipher/Digicipher II).

Reactions: c-spand
You can obviously do better than Rainier's prices but when dealing with larger dishes, it is imperative to budget fairly large numbers for shipping costs and installation as they go up significantly over that of smaller dishes (1m or less).

Have you thought about where and how you are going to site the dish?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)

Latest posts