Ku dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

MrHello

Original poster
Oct 21, 2004
ok. i went out to look at the dish that my dad just got and it was a ku-lnbf dish. ADTH .
ive also looked around the net and found this site that gives you a list of free air channels, LyngSat.
now my question is.. how do i put more channels on it??.. the dish is pointing towards south...not sure if its from true north.(what is true north? long. lat. degree. positions , i dont know any of these..im new.) .....i saw somewhere in this forum that the pink areas at LyngSat are only for C-band(6' or bigger dish) and green are for smaller dish (35 in?) .......
what is this "Ku" that everyone is talking about anyways? is that the type of dish that i have? and is there a way to recieve those pink channels? on my dish? ..if not..where can i find out what channels my Ku dish can pick up ?? free to air channels. im looking for entertainment channels,(cooking, shows, drama, mtv, news, sports, etc) from china, taiwan, korea, japan, etc, etc................help if you can..i would really appreciate it.

MrHello said:
ok. i went out to look at the dish that my dad just got and it was a ku-lnbf dish. ADTH .
ive also looked around the net and found this site that gives you a list of free air channels, LyngSat.
now my question is.. how do i put more channels on it??.. the dish is pointing towards south...not sure if its from true north.(what is true north? long. lat. degree. positions , i dont know any of these..im new.) .....i saw somewhere in this forum that the pink areas at LyngSat are only for C-band(6' or bigger dish) and green are for smaller dish (35 in?) .......

Correct. 6' is at the fringe of what you should have for C band

what is this "Ku" that everyone is talking about anyways? is that the type of dish that i have?

There are two main bands we talk about C is around 4 Gig and Ku is 12 Gig. Remember FM is 88 - 108 MHZ. Sat is MUCH higher.

and is there a way to recieve those pink channels? on my dish? ..if not..where can i find out what channels my Ku dish can pick up ?? free to air channels. im looking for entertainment channels,(cooking, shows, drama, mtv, news, sports, etc) from china, taiwan, korea, japan, etc, etc................help if you can..i would really appreciate it.

You found the main LyngSat now you just need to use the info and program you receiver if it does not have them already in it.

What kind of receiver do you have?

Remember you will have to move the dish to get the other Sat so keep track of where it is now. There are a number of programs and web pages that will give you the cords for your zip code.

Welcome to the forum!
Ken

MrHello said:
what is this "Ku" that everyone is talking about anyways? is that the type of dish that i have? and is there a way to recieve those pink channels? on my dish? ..if not..where can i find out what channels my Ku dish can pick up ?? free to air channels. im looking for entertainment channels,(cooking, shows, drama, mtv, news, sports, etc) from china, taiwan, korea, japan, etc, etc................help if you can..i would really appreciate it.

Welcome!

Asked a few questions, I see :)

There are 3 types of free to air channels
C-Band..you need at least a 6 foot dish to pick up these signals
KU Band-a 30" or greater dish will work
DBS-Need a 20" dish. The only things that are FTA on DBS are some audio channels.

If the dish is pointing straight south, depending on where you are, that would be the true south. In MN, the true south is IA6 at 93W. Yours varies. Whatever your longitude is, that is what the true south would be.

How big of a dish is it? If you say KU band, it probably is a 30"-4 foot dish.

You would need a DVB receiver to pick up most programming. Satwork, Pansat, Fortec, Coship are some brands of receivers. IA5 and AMC4 carry alot of ethnic programming.

Check out Lyngsat under IA5. The stuff with the 5 digit numbers in the left hand column are KU band and the faded yellow is the free stuff.

Iceberg posting makes me rethink my response. Do you have a receiver? If so what is the make and model.

Iceberg also points out you can use 18" DTV/Dish Network dishs and LNBs to pick up some things on there sats that are FTA.

Ken

PSB said:
:shh The cat's out of the bag now. ;)

But really this just helped me decide to just go ahead and use my own server as my publicized lineup site. I recently removed the logos after reading through some fine print I found on one of LyngSat's sites and wisening up about the legal issues, etc. It's not as purty as before, but this way bandwidth should not be an issue now. Just now I'll need to keep an eye on the frequency of hits so I don't get slashdotted or lose my home connection. If it starts getting too many hits I'll have to relocate (but can keep the subdomain the same and just change the DNS entry since I own it).

Anyways, you guys enjoy my channel lineup! :)

TuxCoder said:

But really this just helped me decide to just go ahead and use my own server as my publicized lineup site. I recently removed the logos after reading through some fine print I found on one of LyngSat's sites and wisening up about the legal issues, etc. It's not as purty as before, but this way bandwidth should not be an issue now. Just now I'll need to keep an eye on the frequency of hits so I don't get slashdotted or lose my home connection. If it starts getting too many hits I'll have to relocate (but can keep the subdomain the same and just change the DNS entry since I own it).

Hey Tux is the car with the dent (roof smashed in) your's? :shocked

TuxCoder said:

Thank you for doing it, too Tux.

It is appreciated !

Thanks for the feedback. I guess now I'll try to keep up more on updates. Right now, thanks to our friends Equity, many of the distant broadcast stations don't show the right network affiliation (but really thanks Equity for bringing us all these channels!). Also, Angel One moved a week or so ago, and I don't think I updated it yet. I need to go back through the TitanTV entries too and make sure they are all still correct, and check for new ones.

Some time soon I hope to start adding internationals, just I want to be almost 100% sure of the [primary] language and channel category. LyngSat lists languages, I know, so I'll probably just refer to that but I would still like some kind of current human verification.

TBI - fortunately that's not my car. It was parked at the condo I stayed in at Massanutten, VA resort. Really a nice place. The car belong(ed) to the condo occupants of the previous week. A big storm came through (had also come through my neighborhood in Ohio on July 4, 2003 to be exact) and blew down a huge tree right onto the poor car. Believe it or not, too, the car had just been bought a week or two before. :yikes You can see the sawdust on and around the car from where they cut the tree away. The car had not been otherwise moved--the force of the tree landing on it had shifted its rear end out of the parking spot while the front stayed in there. Attached are a couple of the pics to save people from using more of my precious bandwidth... :)

Attachments

• img_0199.jpg
    img_0199.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 138
  • img_0201.jpg
    img_0201.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 131
Is there any HD located on KU-Band that is FTA? If not how do you go about ordering it and what equipment do you need?

I'llassume the 4dtv and sidecar are needed, correct?

thanks,

Yeah, I'm just getting into this stuff, mostly reading and pretending I have the equipment. But I might one day burn my savings... :)

So what exaclty can the integra tune? It says QSPK, so does that mean it can receive C/Ku Band DVB & DCII? Also does it decode 4:2:2?

The cheaper route is probably going with a PCI card but I was still interested in this.

Also looking at the Motorola 4DTV. But one thing i noticed is that on the website it says the mmap port can be hooked into a PC, but in the manual it says the mmap port can only be used with the motorola converter.

Either way I assume the 4dtv can't decode DVB, so either the pci card or the integra would be needed.

But all the HD FTA feeds I see are DCII, so not sure if there's any HD DVB, besides PBS, which is also on 4DTV...

pity that the Integra can't record HD. I guess i am sitting good since I can record OTA HD and cable HD.

But seriously are there any HD channels on the KU-Band? Does anyone have some quick links to get me up to speed on KU?

thanks!

The only two on Ku I know of are PBS HDTV on AMC 3 and WGN-DT on Nimiq 2 (that one needs a DBS LNB). WGN-DT would be cool to get. Your local PBS probably has the HDTV roll already.

After reading some more I found the answers to my questions and then some.

The integra is an MPEG2 FTA System with HD capabilities. The Hd that is DVB is moslty the network feeds, ABC, CBS, PBS, UPN, and WB. Also there are a lot of sports backhauls on DVB but these are usually 4:2:2, so a PCI card would be the better choice to have to receive all of this. Also NBC is on DVB but uses 8PSK, and Fox uses 4:2:2

There's some more HD on a 4DTV system including Discovery, HBO, Cinemax, and Showtime (All subscription) and then PBS, Wealth TV, a few broadcast channels, and then more wild feed FTA.

BFG said:
So what exaclty can the integra tune? It says QSPK, so does that mean it can receive C/Ku Band DVB & DCII?
QPSK is an encoding method for HD material. C and Ku band are frequency ranges. An LNB converts the C and Ku to L band which most receivers then work with.
DCII is another type of encoding method. The Integra cannot decode it. For consumer use, only certain Motorola equipment can decode it.

Also does it decode 4:2:2?
No.

Also looking at the Motorola 4DTV. But one thing i noticed is that on the website it says the mmap port can be hooked into a PC, but in the manual it says the mmap port can only be used with the motorola converter.
The MMAP port can be connected to a pc's serial port, but Motorola never issued the specs for it.

Either way I assume the 4dtv can't decode DVB, so either the pci card or the integra would be needed.
Correct.

But all the HD FTA feeds I see are DCII, so not sure if there's any HD DVB, besides PBS, which is also on 4DTV...

The networks ABC, CBS, UPN, WB are available in MPEG/DVB on C-Band. On occasion you can find sport backhauls in HD, too.

Yup, thanks for the confirm, I found the answers. One of these days if I'm ever allowed to go with C-band ;) I'd probably Get Motorola 4DTV DSR-922, HD-200, and a Twinhan DVB-PCI Card.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts