Ku dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Just so that i can keep this straight,

QPSK is modulation technique, not encryption. Similar to QAM what cable providers use.

Digiicipher II is an encryption technique. If the channels have DC II than do you need to have a subscription of some kind?

Nagravision 1 & 2 are also encrypion techniques. But used by Dish, Bev, any others in America?

If programming is C-Band you need a dish bigger than 6', Ku-Band needs a 30" Dish, DBS can be smaller? BTW what type is Starchoice?

Sorry for all the questions.

htguy said:
Just so that i can keep this straight,

QPSK is modulation technique, not encryption. Similar to QAM what cable providers use.
correct
Digiicipher II is an encryption technique. If the channels have DC II than do you need to have a subscription of some kind?
yes. DCII is what the new C-Band uses (4DTV) and also StarChoice
Nagravision 1 & 2 are also encrypion techniques. But used by Dish, Bev, any others in America?
nope. Just Dish & ExpressVu. Since Dish makes the receivers for ExpressVu, you can see why they both use the same.
If programming is C-Band you need a dish bigger than 6', Ku-Band needs a 30" Dish, DBS can be smaller? BTW what type is Starchoice?
StarChoice uses linear polarities (V & H) just like most free to air stuff. They use a minimum of 24" (in Canada) and a 30" eliptical dish for most other areas. (US and remote areas of Canada) They use DCII encryption (just like C-Band does). They are the other DTH satellite company in Canada

There are some older StarChoice receivers that would work on either C-Band or SC. (if you had the dish aimed at the different satellite).

Ok here is where I stand:

I have all the OTA channels out of Minneapolis. I can record what I need with my DVHS unit and Panny 51 ATSC tuner. Cable I can direct record via firewire to PC or DVHS.

What I was wondering if it is possible to get is other sports in HD from aroundthe country? I read that backhauls show up sometime. Network programming appears to also but since I get OTA HD I have no real need for that.

Could someone help me out with my hardware needs?

I am located an hour north of Minneapolis, MN.

Dish (at least what size for my programming needs)?
What type of LNB?
PCI DVB Card (Tiwnhan 1020a) is what I have read most about.
Motor based on dish size.
Switches

I would prefer to do this by way of computer instead of a STB because it seems you have more options. Is that true?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Most of the sports feeds (as I've been reading) are C-Band DVB and are usually 4:2:2 so you would use a PCI card for that.

If you really want to get hooked up in all this. I would look for a complete C-Band 4DTV system with a C/KU/DBS Feed horn, so you can get all the programming in one. Then you'd ad a Tiwnhan 1020 card to receive the DVB signals. Also if your computer isn't 2Ghz or greater you'll need to upgrade that.

I've been looking at the stuff at http://skyvision.com so you might want to check that out.

Whew, so there you go :)

There is a guy in the classifieds almost giving away a BUD! He is in the metro area!

There is also a lady trying to sell a 1.2 meter dish! PERFECT for FTA! (May need a new LNBF)

htguy said:
Could someone help me out with my hardware needs?

I am located an hour north of Minneapolis, MN.

hour north of Minneapolis, huh? That would put you around Cambridge vicinity, I think :) (I'm 25 minutes SW of Mpls)
Dish (at least what size for my programming needs)?
for HD, you would need a C-Band dish. 6' or larger. 30" is KU band and will get some stuff, but most of HD is on C-Band
What type of LNB?
depends on the Dish size.
PCI DVB Card (Tiwnhan 1020a) is what I have read most about.
I have a receiver so I dont know. Someone else can help with that
Motor based on dish size.
KU band would be a simpler motor. It runs off the cable. C-Band needs an analog receiver to move it.
If you want both C & Ku, a 2x1 DiSEqC switch would work

Actually I am in St. Cloud. It is always easy to find people looking to get rid of BUD or similar dishes because people don't think anything is on. Just look for a dish pointing to the ground and voila! Free setup. I have an offer to get a 6-8' dish with receiver for free. I just needed to know if there is any FTA programming that was available that would suit my needs.

Curiously, which company offers the "best" programming choices for BUD systems?

well for programming the packages are basically the same. the main source for programming is http://callnps.com and then there are several resellers for them that offer certain channels for less and others for more than the standard nps rate, one I found to like is http://bigdish.com

There are lots of sports backhayuls that are either on C or KU band analog.

I get around 6-10 college football games on analog on Saturday ON ONE SATELLITE!

Iceberg said:
There are lots of sports backhayuls that are either on C or KU band analog.

I get around 6-10 college football games on analog on Saturday ON ONE SATELLITE!

Anything in HD? At the very least I will asssume that the SD picture is much better.

How about on Sunday?

htguy said:
Anything in HD? At the very least I will asssume that the SD picture is much better.
I only have KU so I doubt it. HD would be digital..and these are analog.
the picture is amazing. One channel per TP (not like DIsh with 12 per)
How about on Sunday?
I think there is some on Digital C-band

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)