Ku on a Prime focus dish using a LNBF collar

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
You're confusing LNBF with LNB. An LNBF has it's own integral feedhorn, while an LNB attaches to a feedhorn using a special flange or an adapter and a flange. Using an LNBF designed for an offset dish with the Sadoun part wouldn't be optimal, it would still work. The feedhorn would still function to direct the Ku signal into the resonate cavity, but wouldn't illuminate the dish fully.

Harold

You can get Ku feedhorns for prime focus dishes. For example Invacom makes a ku band prime focus feedhorn with a C120 flange. They also make a C120 flange LNB that will mate up perfectly to this feedhorn. If it were me, I'd use something along these lines, meaning a separate feedhorn and LNB, rather than an LNBF. It's likely the scaler ring on the LNBF is NOT adjustable and on a prime focus dish you want an adjustable scaler ring to get proper illumination. The best setup would probably be a feedhorn that has a polar servo and accepts wr-75 flange LNBs, like norsats, but then youd need a reciever with polar servo control or some other method of controlling the servo. This would be best as it would allow fine tuning of skew (on some satellites the skew is deliberately set different) and you could use better LNBs, like PLL lnbs. If you'll also note the prime focus LNBF linked to by satelliteAV lists the support F/D ratios as .5 to .7. Does your dish have an F/d ratio in this range? I'd bet not as most prime focus dishes I've seen aren't. While it says that LNBF is for a prime focus and the scaler ring in the picture looks like one for a prime focus those specs suggest differently. Anyway, for an idea what's available search on ebay using the words "Ku feedhorn". I'm not saying you should buy on ebay, but this will at least let you see the kind of Ku feedhorns that are out there.

The dish I am working with has FD of .4, not sure the exact number but it would not fall in the range of that LNB posted above. Also on the sadoun site they have this http://sadoun.com/Sat/Products/S/BSC621-2-C-KU-LNBF.htm However I am confused on the Di-eletric plate and how does it affect the ku or c band other than make it a circular lnb.

Thanks.

C/KU LNBFs can have the dielectric plate installed to receive C-Band circular. It does not allow for the reception on KU circular.

I agree with Stefan, an adjustable scaler would be ideal mated to a LNB of choice.

Status
Please reply by conversation.