Ku Reception Through a Window?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

IA6Newspath

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 27, 2006
This may sound like a somewhat strange question, but I thought I'd ask it anyway. Has anyone ever had any luck receiving Ku satellite signals from an indoor dish that is looking through a window which gives a clear view of the southern sky? In theory it seems like it might work, but I'm curious if the glass would significantly affect the signal strength and/or deflect the direction of satellite signals, especially for linear satellite transmissions.

Thanks!

I think you would be okay with most glass (doubled might be an issue). One thing I have read is if the window is screened-a metal screen will deflect the signal thus that window would not be useful.
Another thing to consider is that these dishes typically have a 21 degree or more offset. So unless you are very far north, you are going to have to put the dish against the window and that still might not do the trick if you are somewhere in the sunbelt.

I have seen it done before. A customer living in a high rise building was aiming his DBS dish through glass.

The signal will go through plastic fine.

Last edited:
I tried it once... I did not have much luck as my windows are only normal size. DBS will do it though--seen it done. For FTA... hehe very doubtful you can get a strong enough sig.

Just to note regular plexi that's like the thin stuff isn't that bad to work with. Lucite sell lucite and lucite tuf (10x stronger). If you really want a challenge try snapping 1/4 inch lucite tough...scoring it isn't a problem but snapping it is. The stuff is so strong I've taken a rubber mallet to it and it didn't budge...also due to this it might snap incorrectly. Your better off maybe using a saw on it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)