KVH M3 and HR54 dish selection problem

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lakebug

Original poster
Sep 6, 2016
atlanta ga 30015
I bought a boat in Florida with a M3 Sat dish. I brought from my home my HR54 receiver, wireless bridge and a couple wireless Genies. Owner of boat connected my equipment to the M3 and SWM8,destacker and changed a setting in the HR54 called Dish Type. He changed it from #17 (which was my dish at home) to #1 which is the 18" dish in the M3. Everything worked fine for 3 months. I unhooked everything and took it home and hooked it up. Next trip to boat and when I get to Dish type it will not let me select #1 anymore. They have only 2 choices 3LNB or 5LNB. I go through setup and it downloads the guide but can not get a signal. get the 771 msg. Any Ideas. I really like the wireless genies so you can watch Football in the Cockpit or on The Dock with just a tv and power.
Called KVH-was told it was impossible to have a HR54 work with a M3. Told him It worked for 3 months and he said it ws a Directv issue
Called Directv and they told me its a KVH issue
So now its my issue to figure it out. Is there a manual work around to let me select dish type?
Tim Reardon

:welcome to Satelliteguys Lakebug!
FYI, I closed your other post on the same subject since it was in the wrong forum. You should get a better response here.

Since the M3 is standard definition only, you should have no issues using an sd receiver if you have one. I'm guessing you are using the Genie for the wireless capability. Switching swm type receivers, which your Genie is, to a different setup, can be tricky as you are finding out. Are you connecting two cables from the dish to the swm8? I believe you need to do that. I'm thinking since you need a power inserter in this setup, and the one in the HR54 is designed to run a swm lnb, not a swm switch like you have, that could be your issue. The swm switch requires a 29 volt power inserter, but I think the HR54 only provides 21 volts. One of the regular installers should be along shortly to better figure out your problem.

the SWM 8 does need a 29v PI, but if i had to hazard a guess i'd say the real issue is the D* software. they changed the menu on how to set up the receivers some time in the last few months. i'm not sure you actually CAN get the genie's to work on a non-KAKU odu anymore. it pretty much locks in your satellite as you've found out.

unless anyone knows specifics to the contrary, i think you're SOL.

You can certainly do it with an SD receiver, but I'm not sure about an HD one. Try selecting 3LNB as the dish type, and then deselect HD channels.

You can certainly do it with an SD receiver, but I'm not sure about an HD oneTry selecting 3LNB as the dish type, and then deselect HD channels.
THIS.

get it all back to the point where it downloads the satellite info.

Then, go to settings, display, preferences, "hide sd duplicates" and change it to "show all channels"

Now, in your guide, choose only the SDchannels and it should work

Don't think so. Just hide SD duplicates should do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe he needs to hide HD channels. If the dish is only capable of receiving the channels from the 101 satellite, he will only get SD channels.

Sorry, I was having a "senior moment". Of course I meant hide HD channels....!!!!

Next trip to boat and when I get to Dish type it will not let me select #1 anymore. They have only 2 choices 3LNB or 5LNB. I go through setup and it downloads the guide but can not get a signal. get the 771 msg.

he cant select the other types of satellites. lets not put the cart before the horse.

We know that, it's a change in the menu.
Two possibilities. Either doing what we suggested (select a 3LNB, hide HD channels) will give him a usable system, OR the menu change has made it impossible to use an HD receiver with an SWM multiswitch and an 18in dish. The second of those would be unfortunate, and he would have to go back to a non-SWM receiver.
On top of that, this is a boat and so it might have moved enough to get 771s anyway even without the dish selection issue. Only way to know for sure, if the procedure we've suggested does not work, is to get a non-SWM system and try iyt without the PI and the SWM8.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts