Kworld VS-ATSC-315U

roashru

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 28, 2005
I purchased a Kworld VS-ATSC-315U to give it a try. Its currently the cheapest ATSC/QAM USB HDTV out. Im posting information for anyone that may have had problems with the Kworld VS-ATSC-315U or thinking about getting one. Im satisfied with the quality for price paid. I recommend it. The only thing I dont like about the Kworld VS-ATSC-315U is that their isnt an aspect ratio button on the remote control.

The Installation:

After going through the CD "quick installation" only the NTSC and remote control worked. I uninstalled everything and downloaded new software from Kworld only new BDA drivers were available. I installed the ArcSoft TotalMedia 3 first and then the Empia remote control drivers (there are 2 remote control drivers on the Kworld CD) next tried clicking on setup for the BDA drivers it didnt work rebooted (restarted) the computer plugged in the VS-ATSC-315U into the computer while it was starting then when the computer asked for the drivers for the "USB ATSC Hybrid Device" selected "Advanced" and pointed the computer to the newer BDA drivers folder all of the drivers are exposed and not in Cab files. After re-installing with updated software still only the NTSC and remote control worked. After a while I decided to do a Windows XP repair thinking some unsigned software may have damaged my Windows XP installation.

Windows XP repair: need the Windows XP install CD and Product Key for the computer boot to the CD at first screen press Enter key to setup Windows next screen press F8 key next screen press R key for repair.

After the Windows XP repair was done I installed the Kworld VS-ATSC-315U using the newer BDA drivers WOW everything works! The only manuals for this device is a quick start guide booklet, an installation manual with some remote control information at the end on the Kworld CD, and the ArcSoft TotalMedia 3 help file! thats it. nothing on the Kworld web site.

Other notes:

Warranty information is not on any documents included. 1 Year warranty posted on Kworld web site.

If your computer CPU usage is high and you know you have a video card that supports MPEG-2 acceleration in hardware it can be turned on if ArcSoft TotalMedia 3 didnt do this during the installation go to Setup > General > Display Settings > Hardware Acceleration On/Off my CPU usage dropped 40%!. If you get a pop-up window that says your video card dosnt support HD in hardware and the channel looks like pink colored snow youll have to select Hardware Acceleration Off to view that channel. My computer video card supports MPEG-2 acceleration but not 1080i HDTV with the Hardware Acceleration On all of the SD channels look fine there are only a few HD channels here where Im currently at using the VS-ATSC-315U that are pink colored snow.

A complete list of hot keys is in C:\Program Files\ArcSoft\TotalMedia 3\ShortcutKeyMap.ini just double click on it to open. F12 key is aspect ratio (not in help file)

The Kworld VS-ATSC-315U has (2) USB jacks to plug into a computer seems to work fine with just the bigger cable plugged in.

The Kworld VS-ATSC-315U is also known as the "KW-ATSC 315U" and the "PlusTV HD USB-315" can be bought real cheap at the auction web sites.

Last edited:
Thank you for the review. I was looking at this the other day for a short term project that I didnt want to drop a lot of $$$ on.

Add me to the list of people who tried this card. A 2.0 GHz AMD chip with Radeon 64MB video card with hardware accelleration turned off in the software, and lowered almost to nothing in Windows (where it would still support the TV App and fullscreen) ... and I was choppy/locked up on output images at best, and the same for the sound. This occured on ATSC off-air and QAM channels.

I also had to apply the latest drivers before my blind scan would find any QAM channels. My experience didn't require an XP repair, I just had to update the drivers on the USB device and force the path to read from the extracted files I got out of the latest ZIP file from the manufacturer website.

I finally realized I could have spent twice as much on a better device. Oh well.

KWorld Plus TV HD USB 315 Remote and 2 USB plugs

Hello, this is my first time on this board and I need some help. The instructions provided provide limited information regarding: 1) having two USB plugs and their purpose; and 2) trouble shooting why the remote control may not work.

The closest USB plug seems to interface with my computer. The furthest USB plug does not appear to matter one way or another. Does anyone know the correct installation and purpose of the 2nd plug? Thanks.

Also, I have not idea why the remote control does not work. This is my second new box and both times the batteries were fine.....Help :) ML

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)