L211 Update Affecting OTA Locals?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Tarpon65

Original poster
Dec 20, 2004
Had my 921 installed yesterday. It would not update while the installer was here, but did finally take the L211 update later on in the afternoon. At that point I scanned for my OTA channels. The only station it would lock on was NBC out of Tampa, where with my 6000 receiver, I could get all the major channels (ABC, NCB, CBS, Fox, and PBS). Tech support just called me back and stated that this was a software issue they were aware of and nothing could be done until next software version came out. Is anyone else having this problem? Cannot figure out why I can only get the one channel when three of the other stations transmitters are in the same general area. I did check with people from a Tampa Bay HD site and they did state the channels were all working properly.

After you took the L211 update, did you reboot your box by either holding down the power button for about 10 seconds or pulling the power plug for a couple of minutes and then plugging it back in?

Also, you might try manually adding the digitals channel one at a time using the ATSC channel numbers... Do this via Menu-6-8 and select the 'Add DTV' button.

Tarpon65, I have a 921 and live in Lutz, north of Tampa. The key to my reception was my antenna. i got one from Radio Shack, called the Tampa Bay Special. It consists of two antenna on one shaft. One pointed to CBS out near New Port Richey, and the other pointed to Towers SE of Brandon. I also have an Amplifier. My antenna is mounted in the attic. I get all, about 12-15, HD channels. No problem recording. Also, you must re-boot after your download, then add all hd locals. The guide will download for you locals, usually, overnight, plus you will need to subscribe to locals in order to get the guide info on locals. I love my 921.

Tarpon65 said:
Had my 921 installed yesterday. It would not update while the installer was here, but did finally take the L211 update later on in the afternoon. At that point I scanned for my OTA channels. The only station it would lock on was NBC out of Tampa, where with my 6000 receiver, I could get all the major channels (ABC, NCB, CBS, Fox, and PBS). Tech support just called me back and stated that this was a software issue they were aware of and nothing could be done until next software version came out. Is anyone else having this problem? Cannot figure out why I can only get the one channel when three of the other stations transmitters are in the same general area. I did check with people from a Tampa Bay HD site and they did state the channels were all working properly.

I assume by your nick that you are either in Tarpon Springs or you like fishing. ;) If you're in T.S. or close to there, you shouldn't need the Tampabay special that dewey brunner uses. If you have a decent antenna on your roof pointed towards Riverview (I assume you do since your 6000 worked), you should be able to get channel 10 without problem. I am in N. Clearwater and a single antenna works quite well for me. Actually, when I tried a separate antenna pointed toward the Holiday tower, it badly degraded the signal coming from the Riverview towers.

You didn't add an additional splitter did you? Just that extra loss could have done you in. I think the 921 tuner isn't quite as strong as the one in the 6000, but that's just my opinion. You might try running directly from your antenna to the 921 and see if that makes a difference.

I also love my 921, but that doesn't mean I don't call it (and Charley) some unprintable names on occasion. I have noticed some occasional problems with the audio on OTA NBC recently, but I don't know if that's my problem or theirs. The LIL audio is fine on my 721, so it's either their digital feed or my setup. I wonder why neither cable company in my area broadcasts their digital (HDTV??) signal.

Thanks for the replies guys. I have tried rebooting and rescanning the OTA channels with no luck other than the two I originally got. Dish has actually told me to try to attached just my antenna to my 6000 receiver and try that to receive my OTA channels until the next update takes place to fix the "issue" with the 921. The tech from Dish was not sure whether the 6000 would work with only the antenna hookup. He stated they might have to run another cable for me from the satellite.

Well for starters, you cannot just connect the antenna and have it receive OTA. Your ird must be able to see the satellite signal. It doesn't matter whether you are subscribed with that ird or not, but it does have to see a signal to receive OTA. You may consider this a dumb question, but do you have two satellite feeds going to the 921 in addition to your OTA feed?

There are some very intelligent people on this site. Perhaps if you would share more information someone can help you get going. You need to give some detailed information on your setup. I'd much rather take my chances with the people here than the CSRs at E*. :)

I agree. Yes I do have two satellite feeds into the 921. Tomorrow I will hook up the 6000 receiver to the antenna so I can tell tech support I did, then set up an appointment for them to run a satellite connection to it (Wiring my house is very difficult, something I cannot do myself due to an odd attic configuration). There is actually a very long thread at DBSTalk concerning the OTA lost channel situation that I have been reading. Seems alot of people are having to wait for the next update to hopefully fix this problem. Thanks again for the help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)