L618 on 622.

VegasVoomer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 3, 2004
Las Vegas
I got L618 on one of my 622's. Does anyone know what was added/changed/fixed from L617? Just looking over everything briefly and I can't spot anything different. It was working perfectly with L617 too.

Definition: All software has bugs.

You just don't necessarily know about them.

All software releases change SOMETHING, you just don't necessarily know what.

Right on. We never know what the update fixes until people test it out after the fact because there are never release notes with the updates. And if there are, they are put out after they are obscelete.

and if I may add :), a bug or problem might not show in all receivers. Too many variables and system configurations to test for everything.

Very True. I work for a software company, and you don't necessarily know ALL the cases, and the subtle differences in timing, and other things makes it impossible. Also, even if you could run all the tests, it would probably take too long.

How about:

All bugs are latent until the triggering condition uncovers them ;-) I had a boss one time who thought that bugs just cropped up brand new in old code. No joke... really.

How about:

All bugs are latent until the triggering condition uncovers them ;-) I had a boss one time who thought that bugs just cropped up brand new in old code. No joke... really.

Yep, had a boss like that too... I'd be able to trace it down to a backend database change and the response I'd usually get was "Oh, then can you fix it?" Sheesh...

Anyway, I discovered today that I also have L618 and did a hard-reboot as a matter of habit. I have noticed a lot less frequent macro blocking and breakup on HD channels today. The digital audio stutter problem, which was getting really bad with L617, is far better today.

Wonder if any of this was intended fixes in L618?

Whenever I have car problems ... I close all of my windows, restart, and then open the windows again ... the car seems to run MUCH better :eek:

According to my source the upgrade included the following:

1080p DishONLINE fixes, Ciel2 (129) 015 temp. fix, EA 1K.4 false LO drift fix, more CC fixes, Misc

I HOPE it fixes THE REBOOT BUG. According to Dish CSR this is a known bug in L617 and L618 should fix this.

I don't know what the "reboot" bug is but I can tell you what reboots my 722 everyday.

At 5:00 I start recording on channel 205, 008-00 HD and 013-01 (OTA). It gets about 11 to 15 minutes into the recordings and it reboots. It does this every dang day.

Is this the reboot bug???

It's a bug of processing bad packets from OTA signal. Too many variations depending of STB location/stations/signal.

From SW developer's stand point it's a huge hassle to implement all sanity checks - for each valuable bit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts