Lafayette, IN gets new locals?

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Noticed there was no uplink this week on Wednesday (at least posted) but I saw something elsewhere that is interesting

Lafayette, IN switched locals they get (other than their only station WLFI CBS)...they use to get Indy as SV (as does Directv and cable) but Dish switched them to South Bend. Looking at maps South Bend DMA doesnt even touch Lafayette's.

Wonder why Dish would do that? I thought the only time you'd get a different SV station (imported) in an area like that is when Dish yanks a station that you are getting SV (like if the INdy ABC got pulled as example)

If so, that sucks for Lafayette. I would switch to D* in a heartbeat to keep Indy locals.

oh ok

like I say I ran a tvfool and it looks doable...but then again UHF at 50 miles can be tricky

Last edited:
They are probably not charged as much retransmission fees from the South Bend stations. Neilson should merge the Lafayette TV DMA with the Indianapolis DMA. It would not be an issue with two CBS stations as both are owned by LIN.

They are probably not charged as much retransmission fees from the South Bend stations. Neilson should merge the Lafayette TV DMA with the Indianapolis DMA. It would not be an issue with two CBS stations as both are owned by LIN.

There is your issue right there.....Highly unlike LIN would want to drop their CBS station in Lafayette or make it a satellite station losing out on potential eyeballs. Plus its been around for 60 years.
Sure you can say that about a few other 1 station markets (Zanesville, Mankato, Glendive) that should be merged with a neighboring larger market but it hasnt been done yet.....and probably wont.

I know in our area, with an analog antenna, you could get 50-60 miles easy. But with digital, I am lucky to get 30 miles.

Its interesting how Dish seems to "go against the grain" when it comes to importing stations in these markets with 1 or 2 networks

Here are some examples of Dish going the same as Directv & Cable
Jonesboro, AR (ABC only)....rest from Memphis
Mankato, MN (CBS/FOX)...rest from Minneapolis
Preque Isle, ME (CBS/FOX)..rest from Bangor
Zanesville, OH (NBC)...rest from Columbus...except when Dish pulled the CBS then they got of all places Bowling Green KY

Then there are the ones where Dish is clearly just giving them stations on same spot beam
Glendive, MT (CBS/NBC)...Dish gets Rapid City, Cable gets Great Falls, Directv doesnt carry Glendive yet
Ottmuwa, IA (missing NBC)...Dish gets KC, cable and Directv get Des Moines
Jackson, TN (missing NBC)...Dish gets Paducah, KY, cable and Directv gets Memphis

The only explanation is Lafayette is on same spotbeam/TP as South Bend....but the Indy spotbeam covers Lafayette no problems

Indy locals are coming back "in the next few weeks" to Lafayette
http://www.jconline.com/article/201...nnels-return-soon-Dish-Network?nclick_check=1

After three weeks without Indianapolis-based network affiliate TV programming, Lafayette-area Dish Network subscribers may soon be able to tune to Indianapolis stations instead of South Bend stations, according to a variety of sources.

The Dish Network switched its “local” channel lineup June 5, dropping the Indianapolis affiliates of NBC, ABC and Fox and replacing them with South Bend affiliates.

The change came as a shock to many subscribers, who said they were not warned before it occurred or given an explanation.

But several customers in recent days have told the Journal & Courier that the satellite TV provider informed them the Indianapolis stations will be restored this week, possibly by Thursday.

one station says this week
Judy McQuoid, finance director for NBC’s Indianapolis affiliate, WTHR, confirmed in an email that Dish Network will restore WTHR to the Lafayette lineup this week.

Lafayette gets Indy locals again....per uplink

6690(6) - WRTV [MPEG2 SD] added to EchoStar10 110W TP 18 Spotbeam 13 (Mkt:Lafayette, IN-Indianapolis, IN-ABC) (A) (H)
6692(13) - WTHR [MPEG2 SD] added to EchoStar10 110W TP 18 Spotbeam 13 (Mkt:Lafayette, IN-Indianapolis, IN-NBC) (A) (H)
6693(59) - WXIN [MPEG2 SD] added to EchoStar10 110W TP 18 Spotbeam 13 (Mkt:Lafayette, IN-Indianapolis, IN-FOX) (A) (H)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)