Lame Interactive Games on 921

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Mark_AR

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
North Arkansas
The interactive games( menu - 8 ) reminds me of Nintendo/Atari 2600 games.

And with just a UHF Pro remote as an interface, the action games are anything but playable.

Although the little TUX Linux Penguin that is hidden in different places in the games is kinda cute.

I think memory and HD space would be better spent on performance rather than window dressing. (oops... Linux dressing)

Just my opinion.

Not as lame as having only one tv output on it. I am glad to hear that they implemented the UHF DishPro remote with this receiver that allows you to turn the channels 200 feet away, if what you are saying is true about the UHF DishPro remote.

Stargazer said:
I am glad to hear that they implemented the UHF DishPro remote with this receiver that allows you to turn the channels 200 feet away, if what you are saying is true about the UHF DishPro remote.

Yes, it is the same remote as the 811 and technically the same as the 522 TV2 remote.

The 921 has the same little UHF antenna as the 811, 522.

Mark_AR said:
The interactive games( menu - 8 ) reminds me of Nintendo/Atari 2600 games.

And with just a UHF Pro remote as an interface, the action games are anything but playable.

Although the little TUX Linux Penguin that is hidden in different places in the games is kinda cute.

I think memory and HD space would be better spent on performance rather than window dressing. (oops... Linux dressing)

Just my opinion.
I agree the resources could be better used for performance than lame games, especially on such a high end unit as the 921. I wonder what percentage of 921 users will actually use the games?

The games are the same ones that are on the 721.

And yes games like Breakout are impossible to play using the remote.

I use to be able to play on my 721 with my USB keyboard.

I figured they would have the same games and setup on the 921 as they would on the 721. So the antenna on the back of the DishPro UHF receivers are smaller (shorter) than the legacy UHF receivers?

I agree; the games are not very good but the 721s and 921s could be getting the PlayJam interactive games channel in the future. It is already available on some DISH receivers. Here is some information about the PlayJam channel: http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20040112005456&newsLang=en

If I wanted games, I'd buy a gamecube.

I didn't pay a grand to play 'Find Tux the Penguin'

Lose the games, enable fire(dishwire/kbd/mouse) support.

It would be good to be able to mouse through the prg guide and just click on stuff I wanted to record.

I wish they would put all interactive TV on hold and work on just receiver code. If I wanted to play games, I would do so on my computer.

these games cost you nothing.
They are simple open source games for linux that are easily obtainable.
It took somebody about an hour to copy them into the code.

If you don't like them, don't play them.

It is still an hour that could have been spent fixing a bug. Not just the games, but all the open TV interactive stuff. Put it all on hold until all bugs are fixed.

Sad thing is I didn't even know the games where there until last night. I've had my 721 for a year.

A_Noland said:
It is still an hour that could have been spent fixing a bug.

Actually, no.

A task such as this is rather mindless. Kind of like a diversion. Something simple to do to rest the mind between harder tasks. Developers need to take breaks like that.

Fixing bugs take quite a bit more concentration. It is not something that can be done casually.

Fresh developers work more efficiently. Installing games such at this actually makes the development cycle happen faster.

(I am writing this post as a break from the current project that I am working on. Now back to work with a clearer head)

I guess its good for the kids as they love to play these games. It is simple for them to play through the tv and it gives them a wireless remote to play it with on a bigger screen instead of on a smaller computer screen with a keyboard. Perhaps if they had some better games than what they have on Playin' Tv or had their own games downloadable from satellite (like those games that were/are on the Dishplayer 7100/7200) then they could make some money off of that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)