Lan Broadcasting in DVBViewer

Status
Please reply by conversation.

linuxman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 16, 2006
North West of St. Louis, MO
I have a question for Mark_Calgary or anyone who can answer it.

Has anyone successfully tried to get the live broadcasting feature of DvbViewer Pro using the broadcast plugin to work?

If you got it to work, can you get it to work with VLC clients across the LAN?

Thanks, Fred

Finally figured it out.

The instructions say not to change the IP address or the Multi-cast address. The new interface is not very clear about which is the network interface address. so I finally changed it to my LAN address, and it worked.

Thanks!

I haven't tried very hard to set up the streaming on DVBViewer. The one time I did try long ago I didn't have any success (plus I had a lack of time to play with it) so went on to other things. At the time I was still in the process of trying out all the different dvb apps to see which I liked the best and I was also quite new to this hobby.

I'd be interested in knowing the specifics of the settings you used as I would like to stream from DVBViewer since it is still my app of choice and has a couple years of HD and 4:2:2 feed locations in its channel list.

Hi Mark,

Well like you were at one time, I am still new to this hobby, and I am doing much of what you were doing. Trying out all the apps to find the one that fits for me and what I want to do. I paid the money to get the Pro version of DVBViewer just so I could see all that it had to offer.

To get the LAN streaming, I tuned in a channel. I wanted to see how much resourses it would use, so I chose a C-Band HD Movie and tuned it in. I clicked on the pull-down menu for plugins, and went in to configure the multi-cast plugin.

In the first tab is where the network stuff is. I first clicked on the Uni-Cast, and set the IP Address to my network (192.168.100.xxx), clicked on active, and tried it from another computer and nothing.

I went back into the configuration, and clicked on the multi-cast on the right side of the tab. That is the part that I was fearful of. The directions said to not change the multi-cast IP Address or the subnet address. I think the screens in the newer versions don't match the manual. I changed the top line from 0.0.0.0 to my address above (192.168.100.xxx), clicked on ok, and could tell right away that it had started doing something. The video got a little choppy for a bit, and then smoothed back out. You don't have to do anything else as far as configuration.

I went to my other computer, and fired up VLC and told it to open network stream. Then clicked on UDP/RDT multicast and typed in the 224.0.0.0 and port 2345, clicked ok, and boom. It worked!!

As far as I know, it broadcasts the same thing that it receives. The screen came up in a full-screen window at 1024x768. The picture looked great.

The host machine runs about 50% CPU usage on that channel with elecard. When I started the broadcast, the usage went up about 5-10%. It didn't seem to bother my network which is just inexpensive switches, some under $50.00, and CAT5 cabling and 10/100 NICs etc. It is kind of strange, the host machine has a few hesitations when broadcasting, but the client is smooth as silk. I need to up the memory on the main machine from 512 to 1 gig of ram.

DVBViewer is the only app so far that allows me to enter a channel manually with just frequency, SR, and PIDs and it displays the channel. I think TSReader would too, but I don't want to chunk out the money for it right now. I am hoping DVBDream will too when they get the new channel editor finished. I like that program very much too.

I tried out Kaffeine and Mythtv on Linux last week. The latest version of Kaffeine is the only version that supports C-Band, and has to be compiled from source. It is going to be pretty nice, in another 6 or 8 months of developement. I couldn't get Mythtv to initialize my SkyStar2 card. It recognized it, but wouldn't activate it.

I want to thank you and all the others who have paved the way for DVB PCI cards in this section of the forum. I have read most of what you and all the others have written, and found it to be very helpful.

This morning I followed what you did and BOOM! it worked as well.

I was using the netstreaming plugin instead of the multicast.

It seems to me that when I set DVBviewer to use Unicast I should also open a Unicast stream on VLC. This did not work. What did work was setting DVBviewer to Multicast and opening a unicast stream on VLC.

Clearly I'm a little confused on how Unicast/Multicast is supposed to work and be set up but I'm happy to have streaming from DVBViewer.

I was using the netstreaming plugin instead of the multicast.

It seems to me that when I set DVBviewer to use Unicast I should also open a Unicast stream on VLC. This did not work. What did work was setting DVBviewer to Multicast and opening a unicast stream on VLC.

You are correct, the new .dll file is named netstreaming.dll The old file was named multicast.dll

The unicast by itself didn't work for me either, but I'll try what you did and see if it works for me too.

BTW, it doesn't work for incomplete channels that you manually put in. For instance the three channels on G-11 C-Band that have to be manually input, they can be displayed, but it won't multicast them. At least VLC couldn't pick up the stream. I'll try that with the unicast procedure you used and see if it will do it that way.

If you are confused as to how it is supposed to work, I am greatly confused. :D

This morning I have been experimenting with recording, and using PVACut and PVAStrumento to cut out commercials.

Never an end with this hobby. :D

I couldn't get it to work in Unicast mode. As long as it works in multicast mode that is fine with me.

I found a work around for the broadcasting of "incomplete channels" like I described above.

Record the channel in question in Program Stream mode (VLC says Transport Stream is an incomplete file), share the recording directory, and pick up the PS with VLC. You can start it almost immediately, once the recording process creates the file.

Hey Mark,

Have you tried installing any of the plugins that are available with the Pro version?

I installed the Video Recorder plugin, and it will let me record in several different formats including pva for editing with PVAcut. Without the plugin you are limited to .ts or .ps files.

Works pretty slick. :D

Hey Mark,

Have you tried installing any of the plugins that are available with the Pro version?

I installed the Video Recorder plugin, and it will let me record in several different formats including pva for editing with PVAcut. Without the plugin you are limited to .ts or .ps files.

Works pretty slick. :D

I had the Preview plugin installed at one point but that is now integrated into DVBViewer, and a couple of channel database conversion plugins (SDX, MDB, TSP).

I just checked out the Video Recorder plugin. Looks great and is certainly something I may need to install as my wife recently asked me to record some Dutch children's programs off of BVN for my 2 year old. Just what I need for a bit of simple editing before I burn it to DVD.

The Recording Service plugin in the Beta section could also be useful since it allows you to record without DVBViewer running.

The Recording Service plugin is built-into the new version. 3.6.0.2 is the version I have.

I also use the Trans-Edit to scan in the channels. It has a preview feature too, and an analyzer that I like.

Haven't tried anything else except different codecs.

hi
a little bit beside the point but may be interesting...
i have experimented with streaming over lan and got good results in: dvbdream+vlc
configuration can be done in 2 min. stable with excellent quality of picture. i've only just started with it, but it seems that this configuration has limited capabilities.
i have to run altdvb streaming. this application seems to be the best to stream over lan. i've got instructions how to configure it to do the job (it was reported many times that this configuration works perfectly). the main idea is to create altdvbserver on pc with card (e.g skystar2) and run application altdvb on a client computer. unfortunately have problem - altserver does not recognize my skystar2.
i'm new in this forum and did not browse forum if it was touched on this subject. if anyone is interested let me know. the fact is that i need help to put this configuration right.
rys

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)