Lancaster, PA mayor wants to ban Satellite Dishes

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Satellite Expo said:
www.ITBUSA.com had clear dishes at the Satellite Expo in Memphis last year. I am sure they will be at the show next month in Atlanta. Scott will have to get some pictures for those of you not going.

Won't it be hard to photograph?

mkm4 said:
Cool, but will it reflect microwaves at 12-13 GHz?

It's funny, I was watching "How William Shatner Changed the World" (really, I'd say it much more Star Trek, and Shatner, not so much, but hey, he has more money than I, so what do I know?) on The History Channel tonight and then I read about this. So, I wonder which came first: Scotty's transparent aluminum, or AlOxNy?

They exist already and are widely available in Europe, I think by TRIAX, CO

Attachments

• clear85.jpg
    clear85.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 211
Geronimo said:

If you spray painted it gray it would show up...!

(Kidding, lads, just kidding...! Tappy - Brings another round for me mites, 'tis St. Paddy's Day, so it is...! )

I don't think they're using ALON™ for the satellite dish. Assuming a DBS dish is 300 sq in and the prices I've seen of between $10-15 per square inch for ALON™, that would make for a very expensive means to hide the dish. They're probably using a thin metal film on Lexan (or some other transparent plastic) to reflect the signal.

The test for this antenna would be to see how well it performs over time under higher ultraviolet exposure from "southern" locations.
Florida, Arizona, and Southern California would be good places to test this question. My past experience with light colored objects in areas with concentrated sunshine has not been good. For example, compare the longevity of a white cable tie with a black one.
White ties crumble in a few months of outdoor exposure, while dark colored cable ties seem to last longer. Ultraviolet rays are the culprit, and unless your materials have been designed to deal with them, the shape of an antenna may very well lose its shape over time.

Geronimo said:

It wasnt that clear, it was neat though you could jump on it and it always bounced back into shape.

I thought I got pictures of it last year, but will definately get some this year. :D

This year since I dont have a booth to babysit I will be able to walk the floor and I hope to get to every table and talk to everyone. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)