Land lord stole my dish!!!!

cdru said:
The phone company (and their NID), the power company (and their meter), and your water company (and their water meter) would disagree with you.

Yes they would but they would lose in the case of the NID and El. Meter as like he said if it is bolted to the property the owner of the property owns it. Granted they cant legally do anything to the insides of them. The cable companys box isnt much other than a lock box where the lines are filtered. i doubt theyd care if you claimed it as long as they got their filters back.

In the case of your public utility companies, such as your phone, water, electric and cable, they have governmental easement rules that allow them to legally attach and still maintain ownership and control.

I finally back tracked to find the posted photos, and unfortunately your landlord will win this case. One can easily see that the setup is clearly installed in a temporary fashion, BUT in a non-exclusive, common ground area which is NOT protected by the FCC rules. IF he notified you verbally or in writing to remove it and you didn't, then he was probably well within the legal terms of your lease by removing it; and maybe even if he didn't notify you.

robert luzzi said:
before i say this , i want to let you know i love ramming my copy of the fcc law up landlords and HOA asses. but. that dish isnt yours, the minute it got bolted to the house it became the property owners dish. you can prosecute for denial of rights to get satellite feeds but the dish is his . it is a gray area...........bob

ps same holds true for the cable companys op box and the telephone box, if it is bolted to property it is the owners, not the utilityS property

Your assetion that something bolted to the house becomes the property owner is not necessarily true. The law of fixtures is complex and a black and white assertion that once you bolt something to the house it becomes the landlord's is overly simplistic. The terms of the lease, state statutes and common usage all may have a bearing on whether the Dish is a fixture or not.

Would that mean that only the mount would be his and not the reflector on that mount since it can be removed without removing the mount? I am guessing that the entire reflector and mount would be considered to be as a whole. I know that most of the time I ask for the landlord's permission if anything is to be installed or if any holes are to be drilled. I believe that it is legal for you to install a pole to place a dish and that he cannot do anything about that as long as it is not attached to the building.

My advice would be to start looking for a new apartment now. Obviously this one is not meeting your needs and you can probably bet on them not renewing your lease.

I don't know if I would even want to live at a place where the land lord seems to be a completely unreasonable ass

Stargazer said:
I believe that it is legal for you to install a pole to place a dish and that he cannot do anything about that as long as it is not attached to the building.

AND it must be located on property that you have exclusive rights to under the lease; it can't be on any common ground or property that other residents have rights to as well, regardless of how close it is to your leased property or how temporary the mount may be.

The FCC rule is not a blanket statement that says if you rent a property and make a temporary mount then it is 100% legal. Basically a landlord can't blanket deny tenants from having dishes. They must provided specific rules within the law of what can and cant be done. AND those rules can still be VERY restrictive because the bottom line is that it is NOT your property.

Here are a few good reads:

OTARD Fact Sheet

News Q&A

Sample Lease Addendum

FCC Fact Sheet

I"m at a lost here today, lost my dish, which is not big deal, I've got a tons of those at my work. Cops here won't do anything to get my dish back. I just called FCC again and this rep on the phone explained my install is not cover the rules because it was in open. Oh well.. Good news is I'm going look at a few houses to rent on Tuesdays, the land lord got 3 kinds of satellite system at home.

Sorry to say we saw that coming, but make sure to take a compass with you when you look at those house so you will be able to eyeball where the dish might end up.

charper1 said:
Sorry to say we saw that coming, but make sure to take a compass with you when you look at those house so you will be able to eyeball where the dish might end up.

Thank you all for your support!!

Well I found really good place already, it will be ready next weeks and there are a few other places that I'm going to look at on Tuesdays. I'll be taking along my Suunto Tandem with me. Actually about good 80% of apartment owners around here will let you mount dish where you can get signal. That's what really pissed me off.. I go do install at other people apartments and I can't have it at my own!!

When you give your landlord at the apartment notice tell him that you will be referring everyone that's looking for an apartment away from his complex.

Hopefully you are not under a lease agreement with him because I am sure he would not pay your deposit back, he might not want to pay it back anyways giving this an excuse or say that you damaged his property by installing it and charge you for the amount of time that you had the dish up without permission.

Stargazer said:
Hopefully you are not under a lease agreement with him because I am sure he would not pay your deposit back, he might not want to pay it back anyways giving this an excuse or say that you damaged his property by installing it and charge you for the amount of time that you had the dish up without permission.

Nahh.. I already know I'm not going to get my deposit back. My g/f already burn throught a good section of the carpet on the first week we moved in with a cooking pot, now we got a perfect circular hole in the carpet don't ask me how LOL! it was only about $250 deposit.
This place is too small and too close to a Major road, I don't even need an alarm clock, wake up by the road noise everymorning. Not to mention on snowy nights, plows driving up and down etc. The was like first place we foudn that was ready to move in and we didn't have time to look around.

I need my Satellite, no installer should be without satellite. Digital cable is about $55 for basic here. That's why I'm looking for another place to rent. So far all the landlords I've been talked with is cool with me mounting dish on right on their buildings.

note to cdru,

meter is the power companys, meter socket that it plugs into is yours, it is bolted to home

gas and water meters are not bolted to home they are mounted to YOUR lines

nid for phone is yours if it is attached to your property

gave you the benefit of doubt, until i talked to friends at the utilities, allegheny power, columbia gas, verizon and a friend who is tha district justice in pa. also spoke to a realtor friend, if it is attached it is the property owners

.....bob

ps your state may have different laws, if so , sorry

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts