Land lord stole my dish!!!!

ZawNH-VT

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 27, 2004
RE : http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=33176

Last week they came by I wasn't home they talked to my g/f and they put the dish inside my apartment. Well, When I got home I put it right back out. No word from them for a week and finally when I get home today the dish was missing..

So I called the cops to report it stolen. They will only press charges if they don't give it back to me, or if there is removel fee involves.

Well give them a call tomorrow and see what happens.

Wow - that takes some serious cojones. Are you sure it wasn't swiped? (Yes, I know, suspicion is high on the landlord, but...)

Smarten up pay your Directv bill without using it until your contract expires, or move to a satellite friendly apartment. You will never win this battle, after you spend money the corporation will win the war. There are other things that they can do besides bother you about your satellite dish.

follow through with this and make sure they are prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. if he will not give back your property and the cops to charge him, try to get the paperwork and post it here. make sure you mark out any social security numbers or private info. those might help other people to by showing their landlord the criminal papers. good luck

Make sure you check the contract of your lease. That still gives no right to steal property that belongs to you. If someone were to have a leased system installed then that would be stealing property from Dish Network but you would be responsible to pay for it.

Boba,

You gotta fight them, don't let the big guys bulley you around.

I just got call from the landlord. He said he removed it because safty reason, he said he got letter from firedepartments and attoneys that asking him to remove my dish etc.. I think he's BSing me.. I ask him if he can show me those letters, he said he don't have to. Well there are a lot of things every where is a safty hazard, depends on how you look at it.

I ask to him give me my dish back and he said, its in the storage and he will have to charge me money for it daily plus remoevel fee before I get my dish back. ( The answer i waiting for)

Also...
He added "No Satellite Dishes Allowed" on his new lease agreements.. isn't that illegal??

He never told you that he would remove it before he did, and he can get into some deep crap for that. I would call him on that.

Fight the unfair, illegal policy of no satellite dishes.

If you do put it back up attach wires from the dish to a car battery so that whenever he touches it again it gives him a "friendly" reminder of why he shouldn't be touching it. :D

Amazing. Ask him if he'd mind you breaking in to get your dish back.

Like I said, serious cojones.

I wish that FCC will kick it up a notch and make the all landlord provide a place on the building to install the dish. Why because every apartment companies let the cable company drill holes and provide place for cable drop in their building without any problems.

Also after I looking at cable company local line up here, WMUR which is in Boston DMA, its in this area which is Burlington DMA. They won't let satellite company carry that but its OK for cable company to carry it.

The new SHIVA act should be changing that rule.

Have you contacted the FCC yet about your landlord stealing your dish and holding it for ransom?

You're definitely in the gray area. But, he has no right stealing it until he gets approval from the FCC to deny you access. So you got him on that. I would give the police your FCC petition and stuff also. I'd give it a 50/50 chance of being allowed on that front porch thing.

Waaaaaaay back in the day (ok a few years ago). We lived in an apartment. What sucked was we didnt have a private balcony, just a common one that had the steps to the upper floors and stuff. Well this was before we knew about otard, so we drilled that sucker right into the balcony and ran the wire all the way around the apartment. Even dug a trench out and everything. It was a top notch install. We caulked the coax against the siding to hide it. It worked ALL YEAR. Then during the summer, the jackasses stole it and ripped our wire down. We went to get it back, and their like "no dishes". The funny thing is, they had a dish up to get several pay channels and redistribute them to us with the local hijack cable co. They said "our roof, we can do what we want".

So then we made this slide rail thing that would slide out the window opening whenever we wanted to watch tv. it was pointed correctly, just had to slide it. Well, they gave our friends 14 days to take it down (even though it wasnt outside) or eviction. Nuts.

FINAL PLAN. We lived about 100' from a wooded area that was between two apartment complexes. It was like a drainage area. Well, we reforested the area with our own 6"x6"x16' pole and 1/2ton of concrete. :) Stuck the dish on that (previously it was a 4x4x8, but some jerk kid knocked the pole over and stole the dish). Then we trenched the wire over to our apartment. It was hard, had to drive a pipe under a concrete walkway and run the wire through, but we got it done. We also shared the dish with our upstairs neighbors cuz they couldnt stand the cable co either. BTW this was a college town and the whole building was college kids. Thats probably why noone cared about the 4 crazies digging a huge hole out in the woods.

The dish was nice and hidden by trees and during the summer 6' of weeds grew around it so there was no way even to get to it. We had to do a little trimming to get a good LOS but it worked. I bet that pole is still there.

So, if you have some woods by your rental, I suggest putting the dish in there :)

(The following is JUST A JOKE, do not try this at home...)

Gee I wonder if DishStore has a spare Dish...

Set it all back up but do not hook it up to your satellite receiver. Instead hook it up to a 110 outlet with a quick fuse. When he puts his hands on it POP, he gets a nice jolt (the fuse blows on your circuit breaker) and learns never to touch your dish again.

Again this is JUST A JOKE do not do it...

If it was on the front porch area that is not your exclusive rights area covered by the FCC rules and you can't put a dish there, and he may have rights under the terms of your lease to remove anything from non-exclusive areas. You surely need to understand what areas you have rights to such as your enclosed back patio and enclosed balcony before you involve the police. Even in those areas you can be required not to attach anything to the structures or fencing; usually you can only use a temporary mount.

Talk to the landlaw saying you has a daimond stick inside the mount pole, and wanted to check it out and see if it still there.

I have also heard that not only the wiring and ground box on the side of the house but also any other object such as a dish and mount placed on a building becomes part of the building and should remain there, but seeing how you are renting it may not apply there unless you were to move.

Perhaps you should try a pole in a bucket or a tripod with something to weight it down. If it is not attached to the building then wouldnt it be allowed? You could also try an array.

charper1 said:
If it was on the front porch area that is not your exclusive rights area covered by the FCC rules and you can't put a dish there, and he may have rights under the terms of your lease to remove anything from non-exclusive areas. You surely need to understand what areas you have rights to such as your enclosed back patio and enclosed balcony before you involve the police. Even in those areas you can be required not to attach anything to the structures or fencing; usually you can only use a temporary mount.

I don't know but I talked to multiple person plus a supervisor at FCC and they said as long as I'm the only resident use the porch area it is OK for me to put it there. but may be not put the dish on the steps, becase it could be considered as stairwell or a walkway. Doesn't have to be enclosed or any thing like that.

I admit.. if the flowerpot is not heavy enough in highwind situations it can fell off the steps and will be on public sidewalk but my flower pot+Cement is about 80lb and it didn't move at all when we had 40mph winds last week. I'm planning to put a smaller Sony dish on there if I ran into one for least wind resistance. or I can always add more weight.

Well by most definitions that I have ever read describe a "front porch" as an area that would be a common area that other neighbors, post man, your landlord, or any maintenance people can all have access to, thus it would not be included as one of your exclusive rights areas. Now if this is just being called a "front porch" and you are in no way attaching or making permanent alterations to their property, then maybe you have a fight.

before i say this , i want to let you know i love ramming my copy of the fcc law up landlords and HOA asses. but. that dish isnt yours, the minute it got bolted to the house it became the property owners dish. you can prosecute for denial of rights to get satellite feeds but the dish is his . it is a gray area...........bob

ps same holds true for the cable companys op box and the telephone box, if it is bolted to property it is the owners, not the utilityS property

robert luzzi said:
ps same holds true for the cable companys op box and the telephone box, if it is bolted to property it is the owners, not the utilityS property
The phone company (and their NID), the power company (and their meter), and your water company (and their water meter) would disagree with you.

robert luzzi said:
before i say this , i want to let you know i love ramming my copy of the fcc law up landlords and HOA asses. but. that dish isnt yours, the minute it got bolted to the house it became the property owners dish. you can prosecute for denial of rights to get satellite feeds but the dish is his . it is a gray area...........bob

His dish wasnt bolted in any way. Check the other thread there are pics. The dish and cables were not attached to the building in any way. In this instance itd be like me setting a lawnmower on my poch to work on it coming back 15 mins later and the landlord taking it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)