Larger Dish for Bell >30"

Hart5150

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 27, 2004
Temple, Pa
We bought a new house and I am leaving my pole mounted 30" dish that use for 82 behind. I do not lose transponders on it, but I do get rain fade. I am looking for something 36" or greater that will accept the "D" type lnb. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I lost all signals from 91 some months ago however just recently lost signals from 82 here in N. Missouri. Put up a 24" dish & am getting some signals from 82 in the 40 to 50 range however the guide starts to load & go's to about 90% & just sets there. Cannot access any channels. I left the set turned off from front panel overnight hoping a software update might solve it however I can still get nothing. Is there any hope for reception from BEV any longer for N. Missouri?

As for 36" Dish with D tube Winegard makes one, in the past I got them from perfect 10

Sorry I misspoke. I checked & the winegard antenna I got was a 30" not 36". Perfect 10 has some 1.2m dish's which if you take the plastic case off the LNB can the BEV lnb can be mounted to. They cost about $200 plus shipping.

At some point you will find it less costly to switch to Shaw Direct...people in the Quad Cities are reporting that Bell simply does not exist anymore since the cutover on 91 West. Missouri is stretching it quite a bit. By the time you put in a larger antenna that probably won't work, you could have purchased a Shaw Receiver and suitable hardware to convert your old system for Ku-band reception. 2 dishes, one at 107 and the other on 111, in the 30 to 36 inch size will do fine for Shaw's 2 satellites in your location. If you need more information on what is happening with both companies, go to links on my website from The Canadian Solution page at
The  Canadian  Solution Coverage maps and explanations are provided.

mikekohl said:
At some point you will find it less costly to switch to Shaw Direct...people in the Quad Cities are reporting that Bell simply does not exist anymore since the cutover on 91 West. Missouri is stretching it quite a bit. By the time you put in a larger antenna that probably won't work, you could have purchased a Shaw Receiver and suitable hardware to convert your old system for Ku-band reception. 2 dishes, one at 107 and the other on 111, in the 30 to 36 inch size will do fine for Shaw's 2 satellites in your location. If you need more information on what is happening with both companies, go to links on my website from The Canadian Solution page at
The Canadian Solution Coverage maps and explanations are provided.

Thanks for the Info. But, I'd prefer to stay will Bell. I already have a 6131 with an external drive, Shaw doesn't have that option and the DVR is pricey. I also like having the Boston US networks instead of Detroit. I haven't had a dish pointed at 91 in a couple years, I'm satisfied with HD only. With the 30" dish I get 70+ on all transponders, I was just looking for something to minimize rainfade.

My zip is 19607 and I'm still in the 82 footprint, just looking for something stronger.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Cu2000 why did you lose 91 months ago? they just took the old xpdrs away last week.

Mike when do people need two dishes? We just got Shaw with one dish and AFAIK were getting both satellites.

bayguy: the shaw-issued dishes (60 and 75 depending on your locale) work well in the US. The advantage of two generic dishes, one pointed at each satellite, is that in the event of LNB failure, replacement parts are readily available.

We bought a new house and I am leaving my pole mounted 30" dish that use for 82 behind. I do not lose transponders on it, but I do get rain fade. I am looking for something 36" or greater that will accept the "D" type lnb. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

You wouldnt need the "D" type holder

The 36" and larger dishes usually have a 25mm spacer to put in the holder (normal spacing on the holder is 40mm). On the LNB itself you can crack off the plastic casing (doesnt hurt the LNB) and cut part of that plastic off. The naked part of the LNB fits in the 25mm holder just fine

(2nd pic is one of a naked LNB that worked just fine)

Attachments

• PICT0026.JPG
    PICT0026.JPG
    840.7 KB · Views: 230
  • 000_0428.jpg
    000_0428.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 243
Thanks for the Info. But, I'd prefer to stay will Bell. I already have a 6131 with an external drive, Shaw doesn't have that option and the DVR is pricey.

I have Bell and after some point the PVR just stopped causing me trouble. But I think I read that an eSATA drive option is coming for the 630, and at about half the price I paid for my original 9200, I have to say that the 630 won't break my bank if I do switch.

A question - what's your guide acting like with just 82? I am getting guide updates, but only three days like it was before they extended it to 9 days, and not reliably due to my signal quality.

Two dishes are used for a number of reasons.
The biggest was to avoid using the Quad LNBF outside of Canada, where they are not readily available.
Quad LNBFs are custom designed for one antenna, and work well when properly installed and aligned.
But sun and rain are tough on the front plastic caps, and if you let things go, moisture will get in and destroy the innards.
That would normally be when you are nowhere near Canada or within easy re-supply reach. You're out of TV!

Most 85 to 90 cm offset dishes have mechanical characteristics that result in the closest spacing on a standard Ku-band LNBF to be somewhere around 4.5 to 5 degrees apart. 107.3 and 111.1 is closer than that, so any such alignment on these smaller dishes means that you'll probably compromise one satellite or the other to get both. No problem with spacing on bigger dishes (1.2m or larger), as the focal points are further apart. But you normally do not want to pay the cost for a 1.2m dish, and especially not the shipping. We have found that 85-90 cm offsets are the best compromise, and if you point one at each satellite separately, it is much easier to align, a conventional off-the-shelf Ku-band LNBF can be used, and you end up with more signal than a dish with a combined LNBF device such as the Quad LNBF. Please check the previous reference if you want more information.

hi, frenchophile thanks for the info. Yes our 75cm dish is working great we get high-90's on SD and high-80s on HD. And its the brand new xLNB so we hope it will last for a long time! We had BEV for 12 years and nothing ever failed. So I guess some people prefer 2 dishes but this one is good for us.

At some point you will find it less costly to switch to Shaw Direct...people in the Quad Cities are reporting that Bell simply does not exist anymore since the cutover on 91 West. Missouri is stretching it quite a bit. By the time you put in a larger antenna that probably won't work, you could have purchased a Shaw Receiver and suitable hardware to convert your old system for Ku-band reception. 2 dishes, one at 107 and the other on 111, in the 30 to 36 inch size will do fine for Shaw's 2 satellites in your location. If you need more information on what is happening with both companies, go to links on my website from The Canadian Solution page atThe  Canadian  Solution Coverage maps and explanations are provided.
I can confrim Bell not working. I live just over an hour drive into IL from the Quad Cities and have had no signal at all from Bell 91 since last Wednesday morning. Have a 1 meter dish that I bought to eliminate rain fade whihc was common on the 18 inch dish.Shaw system arrived yesterday and it is all installed excpet for the hard part of actaully getting the dish pointed in the right place. This is a much more daunting task than it was with my Bell system that I did myself.

I can confrim Bell not working. I live just over an hour drive into IL from the Quad Cities and have had no signal at all from Bell 91 since last Wednesday morning. Have a 1 meter dish that I bought to eliminate rain fade whihc was common on the 18 inch dish.Shaw system arrived yesterday and it is all installed excpet for the hard part of actaully getting the dish pointed in the right place. This is a much more daunting task than it was with my Bell system that I did myself.

I attempted to get creative with 91w, before giving in, and making the switch from Bell to Shaw. Although I have not used it for many years - I still have an old 10' perf BUD, VBox II Positioner, with an offset DBS LNB on the feedhorn. I connected to BEV 6141 receiver, and moved throughout the arc.

I got 100% signal on 61.5w, 72.7w, 110w, 119w and 129w. I also got 60% signal on 77w. On Bell satellites, could not find 82w at all. on 91w I got 40% signal, but never locked on enough to get channels.

Located outside of Saint Louis. Guess it is time to make the switch from Bell to Shaw.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)