Larger dish for Direct Tv or Dish Network

mauktaw

Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
Is it possible to get a larger dish to use with Direct TV or Dish Network. I've heard that when there's heavy rain there is considerable degradation of signal and picture with the small dishes they install.
I would like to use a larger dish to insure that we have a crystal clear picture at all times. I used to install C-band and some KU band systems, but that was 20+ years ago and those were prime focus dishes.

We recently bought a 50" 1020x1929 HD Plasma TV so we want the best picture possible.

I know the standard small 18" dish is elliptical. I'm in Kansas City area so I am centrally located and I assume we are in the middle of the footprint. The cost of the dish is not a real big issue. But I have a slew of quetions!

What do you recommend? Would a 36" or 48" elliptical be big enough to insure clear signal even in heavy rain? And where could I get the larger elliptical dish at?

What band do Direct TV and Dish Network operate at? Ka or S? Just trying to update my knowledge there. Still haven't decided Direct TV or Dish Network.

Is the rumor that Direct TV is going to charge for colors true? Seems absurd to me.

Thanks to anyone to can help!! :hatsoff:

Is it possible to get a larger dish to use with Direct TV or Dish Network. I've heard that when there's heavy rain there is considerable degradation of signal and picture with the small dishes they install.
I would like to use a larger dish to insure that we have a crystal clear picture at all times. I used to install C-band and some KU band systems, but that was 20+ years ago and those were prime focus dishes.

We recently bought a 50" 1020x1929 HD Plasma TV so we want the best picture possible.

I know the standard small 18" dish is elliptical. I'm in Kansas City area so I am centrally located and I assume we are in the middle of the footprint. The cost of the dish is not a real big issue. But I have a slew of quetions!

What do you recommend? Would a 36" or 48" elliptical be big enough to insure clear signal even in heavy rain? And where could I get the larger elliptical dish at?

What band do Direct TV and Dish Network operate at? Ka or S? Just trying to update my knowledge there. Still haven't decided Direct TV or Dish Network.

Is the rumor that Direct TV is going to charge for colors true? Seems absurd to me.

Thanks to anyone to can help!! :hatsoff:

Shouldn't that be 1920x1080p?

all a larger dish will do is slow down the effect of the signal going out. And its usually not rain, but dark clouds to the south. I've had no rain and just dark clouds and the signal goes out.

C-Band is pretty indestructable for signal loss due tot he low wavelength...have had 8 inches of snow on the dish and didnt lose signal....But DBS is much quicker :)

Yep, 1920x1080p. Just call me butter fingers! Can you get all the HD programing on the C band dishes?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)