Largest OTA Antenna, still no locals

nicklew98

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 18, 2004
Ellettsville, IN
I think I have to call it quits. I'm REALLY bummed about this. My installer came back with a 190 mile antenna for my locals that are 50 miles NNE of me. One of the channels I had, I have no more, and I now get another channel (for a total of 1 OTA channel.) Why on earth would a 190 mile antenna not get a signal, who knows. We have an amp hooked up, still no joy.

check the condition of the cables u are using and especially the connectors to make sure none have slipped there crimp. each splice and lenghth of cable between your stb and antenna can cause loss of signal. shut off your stb remove the ota module in the back of the stb reinsert and do a soft boot of your box. then it might just be a matter of getting up on the roof to aim your ant.

Mr.c
__________________________-

change school dress codes

Also check your setup. How is it connected? are you using a diplexor? some old diplexors were bad to begin with. Unless you are block by mountains or live in a location really bad a 190 mile antenna should be able to pick up something. As everyone suggested something is wrong with the setup or cables or the antenna is not pointing correctly. What type of antenna are you using? check antennaweb.org to see if it's pointing in the correct direction.

satelliteinstaller said:
locals are all in the bounce.you can have an ant. that is rated at 200 miles but if the bounce stops 5 miles sort of your house.there is nothing you can do

How does one go about finding out what the "Bounce" is?

Sounds basic but...

I had a similar issue. The 10' antenna that was installed (after the original install), was only a VHF antenna. Here in Detroit, the digital signals are broadcast on UHF. Once I purchased a UHF antenna from Radio Shack, I was able to receive the locals.

Good luck...

Would pointing the antenna towards the sky rather than being level help? I've done all the twisting adjustments I could ever make, but pointing it up and down I have not tried.

nicklew98 said:
Would pointing the antenna towards the sky rather than being level help?
No. Shouldn't make any difference.
Tell us more about your setup. Is this an amplified antenna? How do you supply power to it? Do you have a multiswitch or diplexers?

satelliteinstaller said:
locals are all in the bounce.you can have an ant. that is rated at 200 miles but if the bounce stops 5 miles sort of your house.there is nothing you can do

There's no such OTA antenna with a range of 200 miles; after 70 miles, line
of sight is no longer possible. Trash the diplexor, run the cables to each
connection separately to the STB. Doing this increases signal strength.
Try purchasing your own OTA antenna....I've had nothing but success
with the DB8 from antennasdirect.com......I'm 62+ miles from the LA
tower in another city, separated by mountain ranges and other god-given
obstacles....as a matter of fact...I only know the direction the tower is in.
And I'm 90+ on all OTA channels...very strong...I get 37 out of 40...all
locked in.

nicklew98 said:
I think I have to call it quits. I'm REALLY bummed about this. My installer came back with a 190 mile antenna for my locals that are 50 miles NNE of me. One of the channels I had, I have no more, and I now get another channel (for a total of 1 OTA channel.) Why on earth would a 190 mile antenna not get a signal, who knows. We have an amp hooked up, still no joy.

There's no such OTA antenna with a range of 200 miles; after 70 miles, line
of sight is no longer possible. Trash the diplexor, run the cables to each
connection separately to the STB. Doing this increases signal strength.
Try purchasing your own OTA antenna....I've had nothing but success
with the DB8 from antennasdirect.com......I'm 62+ miles from the LA
tower in another city, separated by mountain ranges and other god-given
obstacles....as a matter of fact...I only know the direction the tower is in.
And I'm 90+ on all OTA channels...very strong...I get 37 out of 40...all
locked in.

FunkyBoss said:
How many channels should you get according to sites like antennaweb ?

Antennaweb say there is only one local channel available in his area i have went there and tried to get his local out of indy but nothing would come in there. Not sure why his home sit down under a hill and there is some tall trees close to his house. He is hooked up though diplexers .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts