Last Blockbuster

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
When Dish had the blockbuster package I enjoyed it as it gave me a bit more motivation to enter a blockbuster store, at the time there was one about it five minutes away from my house.

I still would like to pop into a video store and check out DVD’s and rent one physically, but I know it’s a different way today

Reactions: MikeD-C05
When Dish had the blockbuster package I enjoyed it as it gave me a bit more motivation to enter a blockbuster store, at the time there was one about it five minutes away from my house.

I still would like to pop into a video store and check out DVD’s and rent one physically, but I know it’s a different way today
Pop into your local library and see what DVDs they have available to borrow for free.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

I never liked the whole Redbox or DVD by mail concept.
Does anyone still do that?
I remember we used to offer the blockbuster DVD by mail as a promotion to new customers
I seriously doubt anyone understood it or took advantage of it.
I ended up getting 3 DVD’s, never returned them and got charged.
Hell I have never returned a DVD I rented.
I used it all the time until Dish discontinued it. I could get 3-4 per week when there was a block buster 3 minutes from me and the mailed discs were coming from only 40 miles away. Couldnt beat the price. FREE!!!

Reactions: satjay and TheKrell
Living in a rural area, with not one chain store in town, my preferred place for VHS rental back in the day was our local corner store two miles away, but their selection was not the best, and as a horror fan, you could never get a horror movie during the month of October unless you got to be friendly with the workers and ask them to set a specific movie to the side for you when it was returned. The next town over, which is also pretty rural, has a strip plaza on the main drag. There used to be a video store there that had a much bigger selection, and many copies of the latest new releases. They had a frequent renter card, an extended return program, where if you paid a little extra and you got to keep the movie for a few extra days. That place either closed down and was replaced by a Blockbuster or the owner bought into a Blockbuster franchise. Needless to say the store got pretty crappy and closed well before Blockbuster started on its downward spiral nationally. I believe the spot the Blockbuster used to occupy is now either a sit down pizza place or a bakery/coffee shop.

I remember the Blockbuster movie kiosks that were designed to compete with Redbox. I didn't realize until years later that they weren't really Blockbuster, like Crodrules said, some third party company was just paying Blockbuster to licence the name. Oddly enough, I've only ever seen them in the state of Ohio, where Crodrules is from. When the DVD by mail service was big, I after my free trial of Netflix, I did a free trial of Blockbuster. The movies I initially wanted weren't available due to demand and the movies I got were slow to come to me and make their way back. Netflix turn around was always pretty quick. Not sure where the Blockbuster DVDs came from, but the local Netflix distro center was not too far away in Rochester.

I love that a much smaller chain like Family Video is able to succeed where a major well known brand like Blockbuster failed. Maybe it’s because of company philosophy, maybe because of less market saturation, maybe it’s because they’re not as ‘corporate’. It kind of reminds me of the fast food industry to an extent. Yes, McDonalds is #1 and has a million locations but much smaller Chick Fil A will beat them head to head in customer satisfaction and quality any day.

I never liked the whole Redbox or DVD by mail concept.

Does anyone still do that?
I've been a faithful customer of Netflix DVD for more than 10 years. As far as I'm concerned no one can come close to their selection. I order British, Australian, and New Zealand shows and films (among others) I have not seen anyone else carry. The only thing even remotely close is Acorn streaming but their service is, to put it mildly, unreliable, if you can get it to work at all.

I used it all the time until Dish discontinued it. I could get 3-4 per week when there was a block buster 3 minutes from me and the mailed discs were coming from only 40 miles away. Couldnt beat the price. FREE!!!

That’s pretty awesome.

I heard they used to throttle shipping for people like you who where watching more movies than the usual customer.

I've been a faithful customer of Netflix DVD for more than 10 years. As far as I'm concerned no one can come close to their selection. I order British, Australian, and New Zealand shows and films (among others) I have not seen anyone else carry. The only thing even remotely close is Acorn streaming but their service is, to put it mildly, unreliable, if you can get it to work at all.

Thank you for the info. I’ve been considering Acorn and Britbox. One of them has (had) The Cafe season 2. I’d gladly pay for that. But the only source seems to be a fraud who does not really ship anything.

If they had the latest season of Doc Martin, I’d hand over some cash.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Same here, while it lasted I was lucky enough to have a blockbuster like 5 minutes from my house. It was interesting to see some of the Dish equipment they had in there.

Interesting how it competed with Dish and they also canned it. There is nothing wrong with DVD rental and I would still do it if convenient. There is a market for it, so why is it gone? My brother in law still uses Netflix dvd service and that's all he does since its the way he watches TV.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Interesting how it competed with Dish and they also canned it. There is nothing wrong with DVD rental and I would still do it if convenient. There is a market for it, so why is it gone? My brother in law still uses Netflix dvd service and that's all he does since its the way he watches TV.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

I suspect the local convenience and easy of Redbox service could be why, but I'm just guessing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)