Latest Bill - Why would they include this?

BatStang2000

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 25, 2007
Why on earth would Dish include this on their latest bill to a 20+ year subscriber on AutoPay ?

"Here's the DISH...

On January 16, 2018, at disconnection, you will be charged $15 per shipping label used for the return of your equipment. The late payment fee and the Promise to Pay fee will each be $10. Additional information regarding programming changes will be included in your next bill."

I am on electronic billing, so this may just be pre-printed on the original bill, but still ????

I just checked, and it's on mine too. Maybe it's their way of communicating that the fees have changed, but it seems like a confusing way to do it that is likely to generate calls.

Mine also has this, among other things.
"We hope you are enjoying the 4th month of your $10 6 month special
promotion for HBO..."

This is interesting because I am actually paying $7.50, not $10.

I just checked, and it's on mine too. Maybe it's their way of communicating that the fees have changed, but it seems like a confusing way to do it that is likely to generate calls.

Mine also has this, among other things.
"We hope you are enjoying the 4th month of your $10 6 month special
promotion for HBO..."

This is interesting because I am actually paying $7.50, not $10.
Then you really must be enjoying your HBO.:smug

I received an email with the same thing.

Here's the DISH...
On January 16, 2018, at disconnection, you will be charged $15 per shipping label used for the return of your equipment. The late payment fee and the Promise to Pay fee will each be $10. Additional information regarding programming changes will be included in your next bill.
To stop receiving a paper bill go to mydish.com/paperless

Was on my bill also. It reads confusingly
I agree. Does anyone at Dish ever proofread these things? Dish is sending customers a message that makes it sound like Dish is going to disconnect them on January 16, 2018, and then force these customers to return the equipment, and charge these customers at least $15 extra while they are at it.

I'm not on contract and never have been, and my current bill does not have that information on it. My equipment is all owned as well...

Yes, I know. The point is, the message on the bill is confusing and nobody has to return their equipment on January 18.
Yes, the message on the bill is confusing, and the message does not distinguish between leased and purchased equipment. So, if someone with purchased equipment receives this message, they still might think that Dish wants the equipment back, in spite of it being purchased.

I don’t know any other provider who charges to return equipment upon disconnection.

Basically Dish is saying FU for disconnecting. Since Your no longer a customer you pay to send the equipment back.

And BTW, get a ladder and climb on your roof and send the LNB back or we will charge you $50, but only if you don’t call and complain you can’t climb on your roof.

Any other situation where your NOT disconnecting they don’t want the LNB back or charge shipping.

I have customers come into my office all the time trying to return their Dish garbage after they disconnect services.

I can’t take back their equipment but I do offer to help tape the box up, and let me give it to the UPS man when he does his daily pickup.

Anything I can do to help a customer leave Dish makes me happy :)

I explain the fee for the shipping label to every single customer, and every customer argues with me over the fee.

Then I have to explain to them that I am NOT Dish and it’s not me charging them, but rather i am just stating Dish Network policies.

I had one guy last week they sent 3 labels to. I ended up helping him by putting everything in 1 big box.

But people are not aware of these fees. Every customer tells me they are not paying to ship their crap back.

Some are not even worth arguing with. Just let dish send them a surprise bill in the mail later.

They think using the label since it’s prepaid they are not getting charged.

This is why I recommend purchasing a cheap stand-alone receiver, even if you are not going to use it right away. Then, before disconnecting service, you can activate the purchased receiver (if it isn't activated already) then drop down to just the purchased receiver (and downgrade to bare minimum programming, like Welcome Pack) and send all of the leased equipment back to Dish for free. Once that equipment is safely back in Dish's possession, you can then disconnect your service without any penalty.

This is why I recommend purchasing a cheap stand-alone receiver, even if you are not going to use it right away. Then, before disconnecting service, you can activate the purchased receiver (if it isn't activated already) then drop down to just the purchased receiver (and downgrade to bare minimum programming, like Welcome Pack) and send all of the leased equipment back to Dish for free. Once that equipment is safely back in Dish's possession, you can then disconnect your service without any penalty.

So, you buy a "cheap" receiver for $50, to save a shipping fee of $15. Yep, that makes sense to me... :coco

Reactions: eddie willers
How do send back for free? Does dish send a prepaid label without charging $15 fee. I would assume you pay someone(ups/usps/FedEx) instead of Dish to return equipment.