Lawn Care Questions for Pet Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

HD MM

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Believeland, Ohio
Ok folks, it's about that time. Spring is here and germination has begun. Time to get outside and tend to the lawn.

I've already put down the crabgrass preventor in late March/Early April. So far, it's worked like a charm. I only use that stuff on the fronts and sides though. My backyard is fenced off and my Dog, Bailey spends a lot of time back there laying, running around and sometimes eating the grass. I am hesitant to put down any fertilizer or other harmful chemicals that might get him sick. Thus my endless conundrum...

How do pet owners maintain a nice lawn AND have it live up to the wear and tear that a dog puts on it? I have a few areas that are worn out and could use maintenance. I also don't want a yard full of weeds. I want a nice thick, healthy lawn without the use of chemicals. Is this possible? Any suggestions?

I actually moved some fence lines closer to the house to keep from mowing so much area. I do not use fertilizers or fancy lawn chemicals. My only problem now is I can't eat supper in peace without my fan club wanting theirs. :)

Attachments

• mis 017.jpg
    mis 017.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 155
The best piece of advice I can give is mow your lawn high. It will do more at keeping the weeds to a minumum than any chemical you could put on it. I just put up with the few weeds that I have, they are part of nature, I figure why fight it?

Anyone ever try any organic fertilizers?

I've never tried them, but thats what I was going to suggest. I just use Scotts. In the backyard I use the kind you attach to your hose and spray on...the label says it's not harmful to pets after it dries and my dog has always been fine. My dog doesn't eat grass, though. If he did, I'd probably be wary about putting anything on my lawn.

Most fertilizers are not toxic but they do have warning labels if they are. The usual advice is to water the lawn and waita few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)