LCD/CFL IR INTERFERENCE (RF Remote??)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

PBX_Guy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 27, 2008
Texas
As documented elsewhere, recent Sony Bravia LCD TVs are wreaking utter havoc with IR remotes.

We have two 211K's and a 722. All is quite well except for the 211k that's attached to a new Sony KDL-40SL-140 (Sam's Club) in the guest bedroom. Anytime the bedroom lights are off and you're watching TV in the dark, the 211k remote appears to be dead. The problem (confirmed) is that the IR receiver on the front of the 211k is being swampped by the Sony Bravia.

We've swapped remotes, swapped 211's and in desperation, finally swapped the TVs.

The problem follows the Sony Bravia.

I have tried using a CFL-friendly Xantech IR blaster w/adjustable sensitivity pot on the back, but even w/the sensitivity set to minimum, the Bravia still clobbers it. It's not as bad, as you can at least use the remote now, but the red detector light on front of the Xantech IR receiver flickers red constantly. (black tape required)

I understand Xantech is aware of this and now offers an "LCD-friendly" as well as "Plasma-friendly" IR receivers in addition to their standard IR receiver and CFL-friendly models. Unfortunately, they're a little expensive.

An "RF" remote solves the problem totally, but unfortunately it seems E* did not think to incorporate the option for an RF Remote in their single room receivers (ie, the 211/211k)

Any ideas?

IR-To-UHFPRO Upgrade Kit, available on dishnetwork.com, go to bottom of home page and click equipment then remote controls, scroll down

put the IR part right up at the receiver, then you can use uhf remote

IR-To-UHFPRO Upgrade Kit, available on dishnetwork.com, go to bottom of home page and click equipment then remote controls, scroll down

put the IR part right up at the receiver, then you can use uhf remote

Thanks. Will check it out.

a quick fix is attach a piece of ordinary paper over the eye of the receiver, this blocks out the stray ir from the tv and allows the ir blast from the remote through. not an elegant fix but effective none the less.

As documented elsewhere, recent Sony Bravia LCD TVs are wreaking utter havoc with IR remotes.

We have two 211K's and a 722. All is quite well except for the 211k that's attached to a new Sony KDL-40SL-140 (Sam's Club) in the guest bedroom. Anytime the bedroom lights are off and you're watching TV in the dark, the 211k remote appears to be dead. The problem (confirmed) is that the IR receiver on the front of the 211k is being swampped by the Sony Bravia.

We've swapped remotes, swapped 211's and in desperation, finally swapped the TVs.

The problem follows the Sony Bravia.

I have tried using a CFL-friendly Xantech IR blaster w/adjustable sensitivity pot on the back, but even w/the sensitivity set to minimum, the Bravia still clobbers it. It's not as bad, as you can at least use the remote now, but the red detector light on front of the Xantech IR receiver flickers red constantly. (black tape required)

I understand Xantech is aware of this and now offers an "LCD-friendly" as well as "Plasma-friendly" IR receivers in addition to their standard IR receiver and CFL-friendly models. Unfortunately, they're a little expensive.

An "RF" remote solves the problem totally, but unfortunately it seems E* did not think to incorporate the option for an RF Remote in their single room receivers (ie, the 211/211k)

Any ideas?
place a piece of ordinary paper over the eye of the receiver, this blocks stray ir from the tv but allows the ir blast from the remote. not an elegant fix but effective none the less.

Make sure that any power saving features are off. If that doesn't work, a much better alternative to paper is to open a floppy disk and cut a piece of the film to the shape of the ir sensor on the receiver, make two little tape balls and stick it on. You don't notice it at all.

My Sony LCD was fine after disabling all of the power saving features. My Samsung LCD continued to cause problems, so the floppy disk fix took care of it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts