This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

lcd problems

JamesJ

AKA Stuart628
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 21, 2004
Akron (Cleveland), Oh
this is copied from avs, but I want your guys advice on it

Any ideas?

I don't know the actual construction of the set, more than likely they'll just replace the input board.

S~

and to add to it, the tv has turned off by itself 3 times today, each time for a couple minutes then comes back on, when it comes back on the screen is half of its normal size...then it kicks back on by itself, its getting worse and I am thinking it could be more then a connection board at this point.

Definitely sounds like more than the connector board. Could be the motherboard or the Power supply.

S~

update: Geek squad guy was here today and came in, saw I had a ps3, sony blu ray and 360 and said Sony Does not like any hdmi cable but there's that the problem, I then showed him it worked on hdmi port 2 and he said the ps3 is incompatible with my onkyo...which again showed him it worked on port 2 and he said the ps3 gives everyone one fits (totally ignoring that the 360 does it and the bluray on port 1 as well). Anyways long story short tells me he will order me a new input board but the problem will remain as its with the ps3 and he will also be calling sony to find out if it is incompatible with the Toshiba (his line was you are seeing this here, but I see Ps3's all over that are incompatible with tv's). He even called me twice today to ask me if I have reset the ps3 or made sure the resolution is right and every time I tell him, IT WORKS ON PORT TWO, just not one one...anyways I get an email saying it will be about 600 for labor and everything, going to call them as it was a actual bill and i have to remind them I pay for 0 as I have a extended warranty...and about the thing losing its picture he said its a common problem with my model of Toshiba losing ground somewhere on the main board he will look at it when he has it opened up...oh boy what did I just step into?

What an idiot. I suspected it was the input board just reading your description. That's why I don't do geek squad. Well actually, I have my own warranty company that I use. Good luck. You should not have to pay anything. Keep us posted.

S~

Wow, okay here is the update (note I havent update in a while due to dealing with Best Buy) The First guy that I had out showed back up with the board on Sept 11th and replaced it...First he had my wife help him take the tv off the stand (note it is not wall mounted, this one is on a TV stand that all you have to do is unscrew two screws that secure it, and the lift it off, and it is a 42 inch tv, not Huge.) because he had tennis elbow and was injured and couldn't do his job. He replaces the board and while doing that tells my wife that he called onkyo and asked them about my receiver (note here as well, he NEVER looked, asked or took the model of my onkyo receiver down, therefore he has no idea what model number it is) and they told him that I cant hook my receiver up hdmi to the tv due to problems with compatibility, also he called Sony and Sony told him that the ps3 does not work with A LOT of TV's, don't believe my word, here is his words off of his work order receipt he sent in the email)

SERVICE INFORMATION:
Repair Type:

Parts & Labor
Problem Description:

hdmi imput on the tv is not working also has a green tint on screen
Repair Description:

REPLACED AV BOARD, PLAYSTAION 3 CAN NOT BE ROUTED THROUGH ONKYO RECIEVER.

Anyways after he said that he told my wife, too bad soo sad, your ps3 isnt going to work, he then had my Father in law help him put the tv back together (again he cant due to tennis elbow) and lift it back on the stand turned it on and left. Guess what the problem still exists so I called Best Buy and told them this employee is no longer welcome back in my house due to his comments, and also his attitude (several sighs and rolling of the eyes to my wife) please send someone else back to look at the tv..well that appointment was today the 7th of Nov. this guy shows up, DOSENT EVEN turn on the tv and tells me I cant route things through the onkyo, I need to hook them up straight to my tv, which I tell him my Directv box is hooked up to the tv and it does it as well, he said well I called Toshiba and they told me that the hdmi board could be bad, but they replaced that and that it is impossible for two boards to have the same problem, I agreed with him and said there could be a grounding issue in the tv, or something else right? and he said yes could be but there is nothing he could do for me, and he needs to wait until the tv shows the signs 100% of the time he can do nothing, and that also I need to buy Monster cables as that is the problem, and he would suggest three things A.) buy Monster cables as cheap cables do not work, B.) dont route anything through the onkyo as it is incompatible (including the blu ray player you know the way I get those unneeded HD codecs that I paid extra for.) and C. wait till the problem gets worse.

Now during all of this Note that NOT ONE TECH turned on the tv to look at it or try and diagnostic at all! now what should I do?

Last edited by a moderator:
Go to the store and demand a refund.

Spoke to Connie at Best Buy, who first sounded disgusted when I told her the first tech (Ramon) Said too bad so sad, and that he had tennis elbow and needed help working with the TV. She said she is going to call me tomorrow at noon and see what she can do, so we will see.

You need to call the best buy corporate customer relations (ask for presidents office).

Explain the issue, had two techs out, no results.

Demand a refund or a replacement television, their choice.

If they do not agree, explain that your next move will be to write the BBB, and attorney general of your state and theirs (home office), and file a dispute with the credit card company.

They most likely will give you another TV.

Best Buy store managers are not always helpful depending on their store numbers for the month/quarter/year.

Jason is correct - you must call the corporate office and give them your store location and tell them the store has not honored the warranty on your set.

I had to do the same thing with a tv of mine. I finally got a call from the store manager that I had full store credit and to come in a pick out my replacement.

I have been sick the last week..but I got a call back from the manager who stated I should call the Geek Squad manager form the service center and that would be the right thing to do as the manager cant do anything for me...so I am now going to call corporate and go through planet feedback as I do realize this is a hard problem to diagnose the old it does it every once in a while, but NO tech has turned on my TV, they have blamed it on B.S. Reasons and not even the store manager seems to care, so I will keep climbing up the ladder.

edit: called the corporate number and she is going to send me to the managers of managers for geek squad, which really I think I am past at this point, if this dosent work out I am calling the corporate number and telling them I am dropping of my toshiba at the store I bought it at and would like a full refund at this point.

planet feedback letter: http://www.planetfeedback.com/index...3=account_feedback_detail&feedback_id=2322774

Last edited:
Okay, so I got a call from Geek Squad manager in akron, all of a sudden they have more techs in my area and can see my tv right away, amazing isnt it....anyways I talked with him awhile and we both agreed this is going to be a tough problem to diagnose, but there is no way it is anything but the tv, due to it doing it on Hdmi input 1 and 2 (3 is not being used) anyways, so next saturday I will have them out for a THIRD time, lets hope this one fixes it.

and they cancelled this morning, calling corporate back, done with repair want a new tv.

Been a week since I have heard from corporate ( who was suppose to be emailing people and getting things worked out, funny the longer they wait the madder I get a oh and my tv still isnt fixed. but for the first time in a while we did get through a whole movie without it doing the no video thing)

Last edited:

You have to call every day - they forget about you otherwise.

Try calling one of your TV stations that has a fix consumer problems sewgment. They absolutely hate that.

S~