Lease Upgrade Requires SD Subscription (Bronze, Silver, etc)??

hammerdown

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 14, 2005
Northern California
I own my 6000 and only pay for the HD Pack + Voom + access fee. I don't ever want any SD channel package, and I don't ever want any HD Locals from Dish.

If I call them up and ask for the "211 lease upgrade", will they force me to select a Bronze, Silver, etc package?

What if I go out and buy a 211/622 cash? Can I shut off my 6000, activate the new one without changing my subscription, and see the new channels?

No mention of a DishHD stand alone Package for ~$20/mo?

Ask a CSR, ya right....
Hammer

In the past the only requirement to lease a hd reciever was to subcribe to the hd pak, if you want the new channels that is the only reason to want an mpeg 4 reciever. I think the new hd pak with all hd channels is $20. The currant one will stay $10.

Boy I hope so. I've NEVER leased, so I don't know anything about it.

Does a "lease upgrade" require that I be a leaser now? Because I'm not. How much is a 211 lease (+ $5/mo)?

Hammer

hammerdown said:
I own my 6000 and only pay for the HD Pack + Voom + access fee. I don't ever want any SD channel package, and I don't ever want any HD Locals from Dish.

If I call them up and ask for the "211 lease upgrade", will they force me to select a Bronze, Silver, etc package?

What if I go out and buy a 211/622 cash? Can I shut off my 6000, activate the new one without changing my subscription, and see the new channels?

No mention of a DishHD stand alone Package for ~$20/mo?

Ask a CSR, ya right....
Hammer
I am kinda in the same boat you are except I have a 811 and I too only have the hdpak from dish(NO OTHER SUB). I have 4dtv for the rest of my tv programming and by the looks of the PQ on charlie chat I never ever want to subscribe to the crap they call SD either just to be able to receive the hd I cant get on c-band.
I will probally end up selling my 811 (if I can) and then purchase a 211 or 622 on ebay.

if you want the new channels then YES you must subscribe to one of the DishHD packages...

BFG said:
if you want the new channels then YES you must subscribe to one of the DishHD packages...

I have seen the new HD Pak quoted at 19.95. Maybe, there will still be a stand alone HD Pak?

Of course we are going to have to purchase the HD packages to get the leased HD receivers. Dish is not going to subsidize that much to the customer if he/she is not going to subscribe. When you choose to shut the HD package off then you will lose your investment that you have in the HD hardware and MUST return that hardware. Dish Network knows that if someone does one of these upgrades they will make out because the subscriber will be less willing to switch or shut the HD programming off because of the investment the customer has in the hardware or they get to reuse the hardware on someone else in which they will collect the upgrade amount on again.

OK, I have yet to see a definate explanation of a lease...is there a monthly fee or not? Or does it just require an upfront fee and a programming commitment?

I have owned 4 different DISH receivers over time. It was never an issue before because the upfront costs were always low. But I bought a 942 in September...I should have leased, I guess. (Of course, this was when a 942 lease was hard to get.)

I was pissed when I heard about the lease offer. But I was also willing to pay $99-$149 to upgrade.

If they really won't activate any old receivers for HD starting Feb 1st, then my 942 is virtually worthless anyway. As long as there's no monthly fee, I guess I'm OK with this offer. I don't mind waiting until April, since my HD locals won't be on until at least then, and they claim the Olympics will be on in MPEG-2 HD for everyone.

But if there's a monthly fee involved...well I guess I'll still take it, but I'll be ticked.

No you dont pay anything a month to lease but on the HD Plans that price did not include the extra $5 for your second receviers. Also on the $49 Upgrade to the 211 and Dish 1000 they told me that you could get a $25 credit.The Rep I spoke to on the phone while calling into the Chat did say there was a 12-18 month comitment. So they might not have done this in the past but since they have all this new stuff out they might have changed things.

Last edited:
Thanks Poke. I ONLY have the 942 activated, the other receivers have long been sold.

So, I guess I'm OK with this now. I wouldn't have spent $700 on the 942 if I ddn't plan to stick around a while. (DirecTV is my only other option anyway.) Sounds like I will get a 622 for $99, same monthly bill. And I keep the 942.

I just sold a 508 for over $100. Seems like even if they won't activate HD on the 942, it would make a dandy SD DVR for SOMEONE. Or I could just put it in the closet and hook it back up if the 622 ever fails.

Stargazer said:
Of course we are going to have to purchase the HD packages to get the leased HD receivers. Dish is not going to subsidize that much to the customer if he/she is not going to subscribe. When you choose to shut the HD package off then you will lose your investment that you have in the HD hardware and MUST return that hardware....

This is completely reasonable, but not really the jist of what I am asking. I want to know if it requires a sub to SD channels. I still don't see anything saying the stand-alone HDpack/V* is no longer going to be offered, even for someone who gets a 211 in order to see the new channels.

Hammer

The only HD packs that will be sold are the Dish HD packs that include AT programming, there will be no standalones

BFG said:
The only HD packs that will be sold are the Dish HD packs that include AT programming, there will be no standalones

Proof? Don't say the screens at CES, that's far from hard evidence.

NightRyder

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)