Leased, owned and who's responsible?

Same here, even though so many have said goodby to me. And took some PPVs with them!

dhpp also covers shipping and handling of a broken reciever. so you are not out of pocket for the exchange. as for the question of a purchased rec exchange using dhpp, the repalcement rec will have purchased status on it also. the plan exchanges a purchased rec for a purchased rec. so you will own the replacement, but you still have to send your original broken rec back.

Thanks for clearing that up Kev!

Dave- I know what you are saying but I think there are some cases where a leased item should be fixed. When people lease a car its usually always covered by warrenty for the full lease term, no the customer pays nothing but for maintance. Some vehicles even included that now too. So I see why some people think a lease should covered.

As for houses thats a bit different, as a house is a wear item, usually without warrenty. Should people pay if they damage the house. Sure they should.

If you damage your receiver because of neglect or something else preventable then yes I think you should pay for it. But it the receiver just gives out due to a internal defect I dont see why dish shouldnt just exchange it with another reman. If you dont have a receiver you cant lease the service thats in your contract.

Why is it people think if they lease they don't have to be responsible for anything? You lease a car something breaks you have to fix it. You lease a house something breaks you have to fix it. I don't get why so many people think satellite or cable services should be any different.

Because my local cable companies do not make the customer pay for a broken receiver, a cable modem or a IP phone equipment.

Because I have a TV set that complies with the FCC requirements for SDTV, DCT and HDTV but dish (and the cable companies) require additional equipment for them to have the PRIVILEGE of selling me their services.

The car/house/apartment analogies really do not apply here as it's a different model. But for the sake of argument... If I rent an apartment or a house and the $10,000 furnace breaks I should have to pay to replace it? If I took a sledgehammer to it sure... but failures due to normal wear and tear it is and should be covered by the landlord.

Now I do understand that everyone (satellite, cable, phone...) wants to move to a model where the consumer owns and is responsible for everything. But it's only because we're letting them get away with it. I agree with one poster here... If my equipment breaks and Dish expects me to pay for the replacement... that'll be the day I stop becoming a Dish customer.

Just what is the lease for anyway? It's nothing more than a hidden charge that allows dish to advertize lower programming rates.

Both leased and purchased receivers have a one year warranty.

After the warranty expires YOU are responsible for repairs and maintenance on BOTH.

You can purchase Dish Home Advantage to cover out of warranty equipment.

May be true, may be not true. Even though Dish says there is a one year warranty AND it is leased, doesn't mean they feel it's their responsibility to take care of any problem. I'm not a Dish basher, I'm a fanboy - but I will tell you that two months after I got a leased 622 the remote for TV2 started eating batteries every two or three days. I contacted Dish and they told me that because I didn't have the "protection plan" or insurance or whatever they call it to nickel and dime even more money out of you on a monthly basis (sorry for the rant) that a new remote for TV2 was going to cost me $50. I said no thanks. I wrote the ceo@echostar.com e-mail address and got no reply. Finally after waiting several days I wrote the e-mail address again and said since I was not important enought to even acknowledge that they had my e-mail I would call and reduce the level of my programming from $130.00+ per month to around $79.00 per month and that way I could pay for the remote and unfortunatley Dish would lose more money than the cost of a remote. Within a couple of hours I got an e-mail back that said it was taken care of and a new remote was in the mail to me free of charge.

I really like Dish's service, but their attitude about what's under warranty or merits their responsibility is twisted at times. I was two months into a lease of a new receiver and a remote went bad (which it turned out was a known problem). The thing was under warranty and under lease. In my eyes, that lease fee IS my insurance and anything that goes wrong short of my own negligence or abuse is their responsibility.

Sorry for the long post, but information like this is what you need to make an informed decision.

But let's be fair... The whole media/communications industry is bizzaro world where their own customers get the worst or no service and their competitors customers get the best service. Bizarre isn't it? Absolutely no benefit for loyalty.

If you don't have DHPP, I'm pretty sure they just charge $15 for shipping on replacement leased receivers. You don't actually pay for repairs, they just ship you a refurb and you send back the dead one (postage prepaid).
And, if you own, it's only $20. At these prices, I dropped DHPP and just pay the replacement fee when needed. (once in 9 years for the 622 HDMI problem)

Both leased and purchased receivers have a one year warranty.

After the warranty expires YOU are responsible for repairs and maintenance on BOTH.

You can purchase Dish Home Advantage to cover out of warranty equipment.
I have no idea where you got that from. The install is warranted for 90 days. (reading from the Disnetwork Service Agreement Form).."The services and materials shall be free from defects for a period of 90 days from the date of installation. During such period Dish will repair /replace and /or correct any workmaship or materials that are reported to Dish as being defective".

All new customers are eligible to sign up for the DHPP agreement which provides for service to the system for a $29 truck roll fee. The DHPP agreement lasts 12 months from the date of install. After that 12 months the customer must pay a $5.98 per month fee to maintain the above price for service calls. If the customer declines DHPP, the truck roll fee is $99. In this case the EQ is NOT under warranty.

I find that Bullsh!t.. if they own the damn box they should pay to fix it.. I bitched at them the last time they tried to pull that crap on me.. the guy hung up on me, which needless to say didn't improve my mood.. next person fixed the issue for free as it should be..
yes and with all the "free free free" people out there guess what happens? Everyone's costs go up in the form of higher programming fees.

I buy and install all my equipment so I have no contract. Just to be sure, so if my 2 year old owned receiver goes out I just add DHPP and I pay just the exchange price on the receiver. Is there also a service call charge? But who then owns the exchanged receiver. If Dish says they do then thats BS.
here's the deal..If owned EQ is replaced at Dish's expense, the new EQ provided to the customer is "leased". If the EQ is replaced at the customers expense( he pays for the reciver) it is owned. Keep in mind that non warranty service calls are $99 minimum even if the EQ is leased.

The day my leased receiver dies, and dish wants me to pay to fix their receiver is the day I leave Dish.........

Hmm. So if you lease a car and it breaks down, you don't pay for repairs?..I don't think so..
It looks like ceratin people do not undersatnd that there is a distiction between a "lease" and a "rental"...
When one "rents" a car from Alamo, that customer uses the vehicle within the rules set by Alamo. If the vehicle breaks down, Alamop will replace it free of charge. If you "rent" an apartment and the furnace breaks, the lanlord or owner fixes the furnace free of charge.
When one leases EQ from Dish they sign an agreement that indicates the rights and responsibilties of the Company and the customer. The customer has the option of participating in a program that affords the customer free service and covers the EQ for most repairsexcluding customer caused and damage form acts of God. If the customer declines this opportunity he is responsible for payment for servcices rendered and if necessary, the cost of EQ replacement.
Those are the rules. Everyone has a choice. The other choice of course fro anyone to take their bsuiness elsewhere. Cable companies will provide their services free of charge. They have to. Their services are inferior compared to satellite.

Why is it people think if they lease they don't have to be responsible for anything? You lease a car something breaks you have to fix it. You lease a house something breaks you have to fix it. I don't get why so many people think satellite or cable services should be any different.
Because it is tv..If asked I would bet that most people think that pay tv is a public utility. Even if they don't, I would be willing ot wager the national debt of a small country that most folks think anything having to do with repair, replacemnt, wiring should be provided free of charge. Their belief is "they" should pay for it. Thing is ,they don't care who "they" is/are. As long as the customer is not out of pocket.
I predict that if the current trend of everything being demanded for free continues, it will greatly cheapen the wquality of the product and the people performing the work on said product.

I can tell you from experience that the leased receiver is covered for one year, you get the warranty program for 1 year free. If something happens with the receiver after the one year they will exchange it for free, you just pay for the shipping ($15.00), and you send back the old one. I've have done this with 3 622's for various problems since the 622's have been out. The only time big money will come into play if you need a truck rolled to your address for other repairs (dish, cabling, ...etc).

I had a leased 322 that went bad after three years. I was not paying DHPP. I had an installer out upgrading my 522 to a 722 and mounting the new dish, and I mentioned that the 322 was bad and asked if he knew the procedure to get it replaced. He said he had a 322 in the truck. He went outside, brought the new 322 in, set it up, took my old one, and that was the end of it. Didn't cost me a cent. I guess I was lucky on the timing of the problem and the fact that I asked him what to do about it.

The installer said that when they show up for any service call, they are supposed to check the customers entire setup and makes sure it's all working properly and installed correctly. If not, they are supposed to fix whatever they find at no additional cost to the customer. I believe this installer worked for Dish as opposed to an independent contractor, but I'm not sure. He was there in a white vehicle with the Dish logo on the side. I live near Denver and that's where Dish is headquartered.

I also had a problem with my previous 522 that Dish had heard reported before, but were evidently having trouble reproducing. Mine was 100% reproducable. My 522 was about 1 to 1-1/2 years old at that time. A Dish engineer drove up at my house (not an install tech - a design engineer). We did some testing at my house and then he asked if he could take my 522 for a few days. He left a replacement one with a promise to bring mine back soon. They duped my disk at their place, made sure the dup still failed in a different 522, and brought my original back a few days later. They gave me a free month of service including a few free PPVs for my troubles. My problem later disappeared - I assume a new firmware download resolved it.

Maybe I'm just lucky being in the Denver area. But these leased replacements haven't cost me a penny so far.

I had a leased 322 that went bad after three years. I was not paying DHPP. I had an installer out upgrading my 522 to a 722 and mounting the new dish, and I mentioned that the 322 was bad and asked if he knew the procedure to get it replaced. He said he had a 322 in the truck. He went outside, brought the new 322 in, set it up, took my old one, and that was the end of it. Didn't cost me a cent. I guess I was lucky on the timing of the problem and the fact that I asked him what to do about it.

The installer said that when they show up for any service call, they are supposed to check the customers entire setup and makes sure it's all working properly and installed correctly. If not, they are supposed to fix whatever they find at no additional cost to the customer. I believe this installer worked for Dish as opposed to an independent contractor, but I'm not sure. He was there in a white vehicle with the Dish logo on the side. I live near Denver and that's where Dish is headquartered.

I also had a problem with my previous 522 that Dish had heard reported before, but were evidently having trouble reproducing. Mine was 100% reproducable. My 522 was about 1 to 1-1/2 years old at that time. A Dish engineer drove up at my house (not an install tech - a design engineer). We did some testing at my house and then he asked if he could take my 522 for a few days. He left a replacement one with a promise to bring mine back soon. They duped my disk at their place, made sure the dup still failed in a different 522, and brought my original back a few days later. They gave me a free month of service including a few free PPVs for my troubles. My problem later disappeared - I assume a new firmware download resolved it.

Maybe I'm just lucky being in the Denver area. But these leased replacements haven't cost me a penny so far.
The tech did the right thing. Hopefully he had a w/o created to account for that 322..

It looks like ceratin people do not undersatnd that there is a distiction between a "lease" and a "rental"...
If you "rent" an apartment and the furnace breaks, the lanlord or owner fixes the furnace free of charge.

Been a while since I rented an apartment but I'm pretty sure I signed a 1 year LEASE, not a 1 year rental.

Again... a poor analogy.... different items/services and different expectations.

It really depends on one's perspective:
  1. The Dish Network equipment in my house gives Dish Network the PRIVILEGE to market and sell me Dish Network services.
  2. The Dish Network equipment in my house gives me the PRIVILEGE to purchase Dish Network services.

Been a while since I rented an apartment but I'm pretty sure I signed a 1 year LEASE, not a 1 year rental.

Again... a poor analogy.... different items/services and different expectations.

It really depends on one's perspective:
  1. The Dish Network equipment in my house gives Dish Network the PRIVILEGE to market and sell me Dish Network services.
  2. The Dish Network equipment in my house gives me the PRIVILEGE to purchase Dish Network services.
An agreemnt to occupy a living space not owned by the tennant is known as a "lease". However the terms are not the same as a common lease agreement. Same applies to the "lease" of a car. They are the same word but different type contracts.
An apartment lease is merely permission to occupy a space. A lease of a car gives the lessee all the rights and responsibilites of an owner without taking ownership of the vehicle. The lessee is responsible for repairs and upkeep of the vehicle. That's is the agreement. The differnce is the lessee may not sell the vehicle. Same applies to the agreement the customer signs with Dish. He assumes all rights and responsibilites of upkeep but may not sell the equipment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts