Leased, owned and who's responsible?

varaonaid

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 14, 2005
Hi there,

Another question from me about how E* works...I'm just trying to get all my info straight before I order service.

I'm curious about how E*'s system works re: equipment. I plan to sub to (most likely) the DVR Advantage Pack and lease an HD DVR receiver. Obviously, if it's leased, it's owned by E*. I'm assuming since this is the case, if I have a problem with my leased receiver, E*will swap it out or something similar.

However, I'm unsure how it works for the dish itself (and related equipment such as lmb's, switches or whatever is currently used). Is that "leased"? Will I own it? Who is responsible for it? If something breaks, if the dish loses it proper directional point, what happens? Do I fix it? Does E*? How is that determined? If it's a failure of equipment does that change the procedure if it's faulty?

I'd appreciate hearing your perspectives on this. Just want to be as clear as possible going into this. Thanks so much!

Rae

Dish will provide service for the dish/lnb/switch but you basically own everything but the lnb/switch as if you disconnect your service they will oft times request you ship back the lnb and/or switches(if your configuration requires a 44 switch). It gets to the point after 6 months I believe where dish may charge a minimal service charge if they come out for service and there is damage to the dish or switch and they need to be replaced. They can actually charge you for a service call within the 60 days if damage has occured as a result of your negligence or placement of the dish if you requested it be put in a specific placement but if it was due to placement and the tech who installed it put it in harms way then you should not be held accountable. It gets pretty iffy as to who is at fault and what the problem is especially after the 6 month time frame has elapsed but if you go through a local retailer you have a much better chance of getting something done in my area than you do if you are dealing with dish or a dns company. It is a pretty broad question that does not neccessarily have a black & white response as there is a pretty large gray area when it comes to maintaining the dish/lnb/switches on any satellite system. There is really not a lot of issues regarding maintenance or replacement of a dish/lnb/switch if they are installed properly so it is really not an issue in most instances. I have been with dish for 6 years and have never had to replace or repair my dish or my lnb but my configuration does not require a switch so I have no experience with any type of a switch.

Both leased and purchased receivers have a one year warranty.

After the warranty expires YOU are responsible for repairs and maintenance on BOTH.

You can purchase Dish Home Advantage to cover out of warranty equipment.

So I can add DHPP on my bill and that would cover a owned receiver that was broken? What would the ownership of the new receiver be? I have not heard this before.

Dish owns pretty much everything now. Unless you go buy your own equipment up front. You will not need the DHPP for the first year. In fact you can just add it to your account any time in the future when you finally need it. Currently they allow adding and instant repair of items (no rule like you have to have it for so long). Even if you do not have DHPP they do not charge you the actual cost of a receiver to fix it, they have a fairly low set rate for the exchange. Just wait until something goes wrong and call, if you need DHPP they will sell it to you then.

I find that Bullsh!t.. if they own the damn box they should pay to fix it.. I bitched at them the last time they tried to pull that crap on me.. the guy hung up on me, which needless to say didn't improve my mood.. next person fixed the issue for free as it should be..

You generally have to pay for repairs on leased vehicles. No different.

We pay an extra "full maintenance" fee on many of our fleet vehicles. It isn't "full" - it covers most, but not all, repairs. And usually only one set of brakes and tires over the 4 year or 100,000 mile lease. Other leased vehicles, we are responsible for all repairs.

Dish owns pretty much everything now. Unless you go buy your own equipment up front. You will not need the DHPP for the first year. In fact you can just add it to your account any time in the future when you finally need it. Currently they allow adding and instant repair of items (no rule like you have to have it for so long). Even if you do not have DHPP they do not charge you the actual cost of a receiver to fix it, they have a fairly low set rate for the exchange. Just wait until something goes wrong and call, if you need DHPP they will sell it to you then.

I buy and install all my equipment so I have no contract. Just to be sure, so if my 2 year old owned receiver goes out I just add DHPP and I pay just the exchange price on the receiver. Is there also a service call charge? But who then owns the exchanged receiver. If Dish says they do then thats BS.

If you don't have DHPP, I'm pretty sure they just charge $15 for shipping on replacement leased receivers. You don't actually pay for repairs, they just ship you a refurb and you send back the dead one (postage prepaid).

Can someone confirm?

So, if you get DHPP, the only diff is shipping is free.

DHPP really is for people that need a technition to come out and fix stuff for them. Like they have no idea how to swap a box. DHPP gives a much lower rate for the tech, and pays all the shipping. If you just swap boxes with them, and you are capable of doing it, it does not cost much, they have a fixed rate.

I had Dish Home Plan (DHP) from my original 501 at about $5/mo. for many years. That went away when I returned it. Found I had DHPP, unwittingly and stopped after replacing a broken 921, which I also didn't know was still on the bill as an extra receiver--a little confusing with a 622, 921, and a 722.

If you have a problem, then add DHPP. When problem is fixed, then drop DHPP.
-Ken

Thanks for the info, Guys. Sounds like it's a really gray area that can be navigated several different ways. I appreciate all of your insights.

On a related note, how often does (any of the) E* equipment go bad?

Thanks for the info, Guys. Sounds like it's a really gray area that can be navigated several different ways. I appreciate all of your insights.

hard drives since they have moving parts is the most common cause.

older receivers tended to have issues mostly software .............

my 522 / 625 have been great, but i have replaced myself a couple hard drives.....

done carefully its no trouble

in addition i keep a spare 625 bought cheap for a quick swap if needed

hard drives since they have moving parts is the most common cause.

older receivers tended to have issues mostly software .............

my 522 / 625 have been great, but i have replaced myself a couple hard drives.....

done carefully its no trouble

in addition i keep a spare 625 bought cheap for a quick swap if needed. it lives in a box on the shelf not on account but ready to go if needed

Depends upon the model. I love my 721, I was rather early on that train. But I believe I'm now on the 6th one to pass thru my home. It has known hard drive and power supply problems. But it's a really GREAT DVR when it works....

It's my understanding that the current ViP series is rather reliable. Early on, there were some problems with HDMI connectors, but that seems to have been fixed. Never a serious problem with my ViP622 or 508.

I expect after Eastern Arc I'll probably be saying goodbye to my 508 & 721.

dhpp also covers shipping and handling of a broken reciever. so you are not out of pocket for the exchange. as for the question of a purchased rec exchange using dhpp, the repalcement rec will have purchased status on it also. the plan exchanges a purchased rec for a purchased rec. so you will own the replacement, but you still have to send your original broken rec back.

Why is it people think if they lease they don't have to be responsible for anything? You lease a car something breaks you have to fix it. You lease a house something breaks you have to fix it. I don't get why so many people think satellite or cable services should be any different.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts