Leaving Dish for Adelphia Cable

W_Tracy_Parnell

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 19, 2005
South of Buffalo NY
Well after about six years I have had enough of Dish-for now anyway. With the price increasing every year and no end in sight added to all the other hassles I am getting out and going to good old analog cable. Last straw was a problem I have been having with one receiver on a two receiver setup. I would get just about every error message in the book from "Multi-switch problem" to "Can't receive this program outside your area" to "Satillite signal lost".

I called CS and they first tried to sell me the warrenty for $5.99 a month. I told the guy that I was all "a monthed out" at this point and sick of constant extra charges for everything. I also pointed out to him that since I already have cable-Internet that I would be saving about $20 a month by going to Adelphia for my TV ( I have Top 180 now). He said, "yeah $20 is $20".

He told me it sounded like a switch problem and that I would be out for the switch ($99) and a $50 service charge. Unless I want to pay the $5.99 a month and then it would be only $29 for service.

I think I'll quit and wait for them (or Direct TV) to make me a better offer at some point. Cable sucks compared to Dish (love the program guide) but like the CSR said $20 is $20.

good luck on that "better" offer down the road! Sure hope that cable is all you hope it will be too.

Slamminc11 said:
good luck on that "better" offer down the road! Sure hope that cable is all you hope it will be too.
I hope your better offer was better then mine, I totally disconnected the cable internet and cable tv, as Time warner couldnt deliever here, oh sure the first two weeks were great.....and then every day we had a new problem, so I am going back, gotta install date set for this sat. and I cant be happier! but I am not knocking you I really do hope it works out, and to tell you good luck

Cable is a big question mark all the time. You either get it real good... or real bad... and most of the times, when it's good, it (the signal integrity) will deteriorate with time for sure.

Yeah, the $5.99 fee is outragious. Especially since you STILL have to pay $30 for a service call. So, in a year, you pay $72 to save $70???
I typically have needed help once every 3 yrs. So, now it's $126 to save $70. I'm sure the bean counters at dish are slapping each others backs over this deal.

well actually it helps if lets say you need your dish repointed because of high winds, lnbs go out, switches go bad, things can happen and I am one of the ones who say its better to be safe then sorry, but then there are always my neighbors on the other side of the fence who dont agree, but to each his own I guess.

The H said:
Cable is a big question mark all the time. You either get it real good... or real bad... and most of the times, when it's good, it (the signal integrity) will deteriorate with time for sure.

No question the quality on analog cable is not that of Dish. I figure I'll run it for a year and see if they make me an offer to come back.

Slamminc11 said:

It's not an "offer" or special deal, it's the regular price. I have no illusions about cable-had it before. Just comes to a point after you've bought 3 receivers and now they want you to pay a service call and buy your own switch. If I ever go back, I'll skip locals so I don't need a switch.

W_Tracy_Parnell said:
It's not an "offer" or special deal, it's the regular price. I have no illusions about cable-had it before. Just comes to a point after you've bought 3 receivers and now they want you to pay a service call and buy your own switch. If I ever go back, I'll skip locals so I don't need a switch.
Did you question DISH about how long you had to keep the DHPP service plan? There is no minimum time limit on it you can cancel after the problem is solved so it might cost you $5.99 plus $29.99 for that $99 switch, I would call that a pretty good deal!!! :) :) :)

boba said:
Did you question DISH about how long you had to keep the DHPP service plan? There is no minimum time limit on it you can cancel after the problem is solved so it might cost you $5.99 plus $29.99 for that $99 switch, I would call that a pretty good deal!!! :) :) :)

I call $50 for cable install and no equipment to maintain a better deal. Don't get me wrong, I really like Dish. I really love the program guide and I will miss that. But I've been a customer for about 6 years now and you get tired of seeing the new customers get the good deals. For what I have put into equipment over the years I could have purchased an FTA system to play around with and no monthly fees.

W_Tracy_Parnell said:
I call $50 for cable install and no equipment to maintain a better deal. Don't get me wrong, I really like Dish. I really love the program guide and I will miss that. But I've been a customer for about 6 years now and you get tired of seeing the new customers get the good deals. For what I have put into equipment over the years I could have purchased an FTA system to play around with and no monthly fees.
And very little to watch on FTA unless you like ethnic programming. :)

W_Tracy_Parnell said:

You realize that analog cable does not offer the 2 TMCs and the 7 encores? Also, that the PQ of Adelphia in my area is horrible compared to dish? Good luck tho.

larrystotler said:
You realize that analog cable does not offer the 2 TMCs and the 7 encores? Also, that the PQ of Adelphia in my area is horrible compared to dish? Good luck tho.

With the almost $20 I am saving I can rent a couple DVDs a month and still be ahead. IMO the variety and quality of movies offered in Top 180 has decreased. PQ on Adelphia in my area has improved over the years (my mother-in-law has cable so I check it out there) although it is still not as good as Dish. The way Dish compresses some channels ought to be against the law though. So there are certainly pros and cons as with any decision.

I dumped adelphia

I dumped Adelphia in april because they always had a hand in my pocket looking for more money. I had internet and cable and all told was paying over $140 a month, and they just had a rate increase.

Although I was happy with their equipment like being able to record HD programs, it just wasn't worth it in the end.

As a matter of fact, last year I called Adelphia looking for some kind of price break and the told me to go ahead and try Dish, so I did.

They call the house every other day now begging..........

cloverboy said:
I dumped Adelphia in april because they always had a hand in my pocket looking for more money. I had internet and cable and all told was paying over $140 a month, and they just had a rate increase.

Although I was happy with their equipment like being able to record HD programs, it just wasn't worth it in the end.

As a matter of fact, last year I called Adelphia looking for some kind of price break and the told me to go ahead and try Dish, so I did.

They call the house every other day now begging..........

Yeah that's typical-I bet Dish will do the same thing to me. I will be just running analog for awhile so the cost ($93 for TV & Internet) will stay the same here until the first of the year anyway. But Adelphia at least only raises the price $1 or so, Dish increase last time for AT180 was $3.

We have a town here where Adelphia just raised the price $9.00 / month. May also see a big increase when Time Warner or Comcast takes over. I sell Dish service and Adelphia is my favorite cable company. It has made me a lot of money!

W_Tracy_Parnell said:
Yeah that's typical-I bet Dish will do the same thing to me. I will be just running analog for awhile so the cost ($93 for TV & Internet) will stay the same here until the first of the year anyway. But Adelphia at least only raises the price $1 or so, Dish increase last time for AT180 was $3.

I am not trying to change your opinnion here just trying to get you to look at some things. you are switching to a analog company that gives you roughly 80 stations, and cable internet, now if you have sbc you can get dsl (I have it and it runs great for me) for 15 a month americans top 180, which is 47.99, so far we are up to 62.99 throw in lets say 2 extra recievers 72.99, now thrown in the protection 77.99, throw in tax lets say roughly 10 87.99. Now you are getting 180 channels 2 extra recievers, Broadband internet, and you are saving 6 dollars a month, times 12=36 so minus the 30 service call you come out 6 dollars ahead and you are getting more channels, and sticking with the famliarity of Dish network, again just something for you too look at! I know for me DSL and DIsh Everything is cheaper then Cable internet, and baisc digital!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)