Leaving DTV for Dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

GB33

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
Indianapolis
I am most likely going to be leaving DTV after 5 years of service. It is a very hard decision because of the familiarity I have with the system, chanells, and the Tivo DVR service. My main reasons for the switch will be cost, lower per month with Dish, strong preferance of Sirius music over XM, HD offerings, and wife. She likes the cost thing the most.
In the long run I know it's "just T.V" but this is a big deal to me. Mainly because of relearning the chanells and losing Tivo. Although it is my understanding that the Tivo boxes will eventually be "fazed out" which stinks. Also I want the dish mounted in same local on roof as current. NO damn pole in the ground crap!
What are some of your opinions? Also is the OTA HD tuner in the 622 pretty good? How about the 10-250? That is another reason I would like an HD box. The built in tuner in my F38310 is an "oldie" and isn't the best. Plus I would like to record local OTA in HD. If DTV would offer me $10 off per month and give me a 10-250 I may stay. But I won't hold my breath. I appreciate any feedback and opinions.

1) What package would you be getting with Dish Network: Bronze, Silver or Gold? Make sure you've done your homework on the pricing.

2) I remember the F38310. Does the set have a way to connect other receivers?

3) The ViP 622 will only record from one OTA source, while the HR10-250 can record from two. I am not sure if you have any consideration with OTA recording limitations.

Greg Bimson said:
1) What package would you be getting with Dish Network: Bronze, Silver or Gold? Make sure you've done your homework on the pricing.

3) The ViP 622 will only record from one OTA source, while the HR10-250 can record from two. I am not sure if you have any consideration with OTA recording limitations.

To add to #3, you won't get OTA guide listings on the ViP622 unless you subscribe to dish locals for $5/month. I found this one out the hard way. But it does help with the one OTA tuner issue. With locals over sat and OTA, you can record up to three local broadcasts although only one will be HD (unless dish offers HD locals in your area).

GB33 said:
I am most likely going to be leaving DTV after 5 years of service. It is a very hard decision because of the familiarity I have with the system, chanells, and the Tivo DVR service. My main reasons for the switch will be cost, lower per month with Dish, strong preferance of Sirius music over XM, HD offerings, and wife. She likes the cost thing the most.
In the long run I know it's "just T.V" but this is a big deal to me. Mainly because of relearning the chanells and losing Tivo. Although it is my understanding that the Tivo boxes will eventually be "fazed out" which stinks. Also I want the dish mounted in same local on roof as current. NO damn pole in the ground crap!
What are some of your opinions? Also is the OTA HD tuner in the 622 pretty good? How about the 10-250? That is another reason I would like an HD box. The built in tuner in my F38310 is an "oldie" and isn't the best. Plus I would like to record local OTA in HD. If DTV would offer me $10 off per month and give me a 10-250 I may stay. But I won't hold my breath. I appreciate any feedback and opinions.

I made the switch last week, and could not be happier. The PQ is far superior. I get to record my HD locals from the dish. Coming from TiVo myself, it takes some time to get used to the new box, but it's not too bad. The Dishnet dish (1000) mounted on the same mount that my D* dish was mounted on.

-elbo

Greg Bimson said:

IF I go to Dish it would be the Silver package IF I keep HD which is equivilent to top 120 SD channels. Biggest loss for me is the DIY channel. The 120 package is $39 plus $5 for locals and $6 for DVR vs Dtv's $50 plus $5 for second reciever as well as $6 DVR. So a $10 per month savings. Although if I had 622 box w/o the HD package there is another $6 fee. But during the 10 month promo, there is $20 off of HD silver bringing it to $40 w/o locals.
Yes I do not use the TV sets built in DTV box for sat service, only the OTA tuner portion. I have it connected through the set via S-video. If I got an HD box I would use Component. I do not have DVI or HDMI though.
That recording of one or two OTA's is a big deal I guess. But I was told the HR10-250 will be "obsolete" once new MPEG4 stuff came out. But I am not really interested in paying big bucks for the new box and package.

I just switched to E from D yesterday after eight years with D. I have the HD Platinum package with locals. So far I think the PQ is beter with Dish. I have to get used to the 622 vs TiVo, but i's like anything new....you have to get used to it. D's utter lack of HD programing was the last straw.

I also just switched from DirecTV to Dish last week. I was a Six year customer with DirecTV....

Customer Service was the last straw with me. Remember the Customer Service Commercials they used to run???

Anyway, So far I am VERY happy. the Picture is definately better on dish. I got the HD Silver Package, but I may downgrade to bronze...So far I only really watch ESPN, Discovery and NFL HD.

My biggest problem w/ leaving DirecTV was the NFL ticket....but mu logic was that a ton of games are going to be national this year. They have incorporated a Thursday night game, Sunday night game and two monday night games...Not to mention the locals you get.

Well DTV was far from generous when I called. Despite the box nearing the end of its run due to mpeg-4, being a couple years old, offering WAY less HD than Dish. He was "offering" box for $200 (HR10-250 mind you) $10 off for a year, and requiring a 2 year commitment. Gee, no thanks. It's almost as if they are pushing me out the door.
I only wish the Vip622 wasn't $200. Anyone getting them for less? Also not real sure about that TV 1 &2 bit. Not quite as easy as my DTivo sat 1 & 2 setup. I guess I could just switch and stick with SD. But I don't care for the looks of that big box, and would like to record OTA HD.

I don't think you can get it less than $200, at least when signing up. I was a dish customer a couple years ago and when I resigned up this week I paid the same. I did have to due an 18 month but I'm looking forward to some of the HD content for once. I'm not too scared of the Indian customer support. Being in the IT field I have become rather good at Indian English. i.e. Microsoft,sunrocket. ;)

The TV1\2 really isn't that hard to figure out. if you want you could use the one tv but why not use the second one? good luck on the switch and keep us posted! glad I switched after looking at the mpeg4 review today. nothing too snazzy to keep me. like you said you can always switch back later.

GB33 said:
Well DTV was far from generous when I called. Despite the box nearing the end of its run due to mpeg-4, being a couple years old, offering WAY less HD than Dish. He was "offering" box for $200 (HR10-250 mind you) $10 off for a year, and requiring a 2 year commitment. Gee, no thanks. It's almost as if they are pushing me out the door.
I only wish the Vip622 wasn't $200. Anyone getting them for less? Also not real sure about that TV 1 &2 bit. Not quite as easy as my DTivo sat 1 & 2 setup. I guess I could just switch and stick with SD. But I don't care for the looks of that big box, and would like to record OTA HD.

Last edited:
GB33,

You will love that 622. THe OTA tuner is great. You may think the way the 2nd tv is setup sounds strange, but once you have it you will like it. Every D* switch I do loves the fact that they can watch their DVR programs on more than one tv. It also makes it very easy to hook up more TV's. So if you have other locations you would like tv at you just mirror them off that 2nd output. You will love it.

Also as a side not, has anyone seen those D* comercials about how much HD they were gonna have lately?

I made the switch today and it is great. The OTA tuner is superior to D. I even receive two lower power distance stations with no problem. The 622 DVR is very easy to operate and the second Tv operation is a great feature. :p :) :up

I do not know what took me so long after 3 years with D. Rupert has made D a second rate operation that seems scared to get their feet wet.:(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts