LEFTOVER equipment junk after HD conversion? Now what?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

tezam

Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
After getting my new DISH 622 receiver, satellite dish, and Samsung HD TV installed and working, my leftover equipment includes a DISH PVR-508 receiver. Echostar didn’t want it returned. Is it just junk now...or can I somehow use it as a standard definition setup in another room? The smartcard is still in the set and the LNBR (DISH 500) is among the leftover “junk”, along with another satellite receiver (Model 4900) and smartcard. The stuff is now “resting” on a shelf in my office. Would I have to subscribe all over again to a new DISH satellite setup? Is there a web site available anywhere that describes how to reuse such equipment without being forced to pay twice for a subscription? :confused:

When I upgraded I just used my 508 and another older receiver in other rooms. Since they were still active on the account, Dish provided the necessary DPP44 switch at no charge. Each extra receiver costs $5 per month.

Yeah the 508 is decent little gem of a DVR (or PVR back in those days). Especially without a DVR fee.

I use my 508 in my RV when we go to the lake for the weekend or vacation. It is the "kids" box for cartoons and a Sirius tuner the rest of the time. Before I upgraded to DishHD, I'd use an old single LNB dish in my RV. I was able to keep my "junk" Dish 500 when I upgraded to the Dish 1000. I now use it on the RV. I don't have HD tvs in the trailer so the 508 works great.

Leftovers

THANKS guys for the tips. As I understand the bottom line...there is apparently no way to use my leftover PVR-508 unless I pay DISH $5.00 a month to re-activate my smart card. When I had my HD equipment installed a few months ago, I had the option of leasing one of their new SD receivers in another room for the same fee. It looks like there was no advantage to me saving my 508 for a future installation by myself...Oh well...:eek:

THANKS guys for the tips. As I understand the bottom line...there is apparently no way to use my leftover PVR-508 unless I pay DISH $5.00 a month to re-activate my smart card. When I had my HD equipment installed a few months ago, I had the option of leasing one of their new SD receivers in another room for the same fee. It looks like there was no advantage to me saving my 508 for a future installation by myself...Oh well...:eek:

I've been watching the 508's on ebay, they go for about $100 right now. I've got two I'm going to sell as soon as I watch everything on them.

If you have anything stored on the 508 (like a sporting event) that you might want to watch again at a future time it might have some value for you.

Mine is mothballed in the garage. Maybe someday it will be discovered like a time capsule and future generations will be amazed at how easily amused their ancesters were.

OKAY...thanks for the offer to buy my 508 (private message). I'm considering it; however, first I want to exhaust my research into whether I can bootstrap into the DISH satellites, etc. I have an old 18" DISH array with an A-B digital LNBR (model BS101UP201M) with several SW21 switches and an SW-42 switch. Assuming I hook up my 508 (or model 4900), can anyone tell me what I will receive on my TV? Can anyone tell me if I can play the recorded movies on the 508? If I hook other video sources up to the 508 (e.g., output from existing TV or DVD player/recorder), can I record to the 508 and play back without the DISH array?

I think you can probably pick up Angel One and the NASA channel on un-subscribed boxes. You definitely cannot record to the 508 from any analog source. You can only record from the digital Dish stream.

I have an old 18" DISH array with an A-B digital LNBR (model BS101UP201M) with several SW21 switches and an SW-42 switch. Assuming I hook up my 508 (or model 4900), can anyone tell me what I will receive on my TV? Can anyone tell me if I can play the recorded movies on the 508? If I hook other video sources up to the 508 (e.g., output from existing TV or DVD player/recorder), can I record to the 508 and play back without the DISH array?
The 508 is a DishPro receiver and the 4900 is a legacy receiver.
- DishPro receivers (508) work with DishPro (DP) LNBF and are backwards compatible with Legacy LNBF.
- Legacy receivers (4900) work with Legacy LNBF and are not forward compatible.
- - Exception, legacy receivers may work with a DishPro Adaptor, or through a DPP Switch, such as the DPP44.

I am not very familiar with the SW-21 and SW-42 switches; or the A-B digital LNBR, unless it's just a Legacy LNBF with dual outputs for a single satellite location.

As a portable system, you should be able to take either the 508 or the 4900 and directly connect it to an 18" dish with a legacy LNBF for a single DBS satellite location (119, 110, 61.5, 148, 129).

However, you could get a Dish 500 (20") with a DP Twin and directly connect the 508 to pick up 119 and 110.
With a Legacy Twin, either the 508 or the 4900 would work; and there are other options.

If you were going to use the 508 on the road or elsewhere, then you probably should consider connecting it at home and keep it hooked up until you were ready for it elsewhere. Without paying Dish a monthly activation fee ($5), you will probably not see anything but NASA at the most.

What type of dish/switch did they install for the new system?

I believe someone previously said on another thread that you should be able to connect the 508 to the TV and play any recordings, even without the sat signal. But you are not going to be able to record anything.

I beleive this answers your questions.

Last edited:
SmityWhity: Thanks for the comprehensive response! According to my "Sys Info", my switch(es) are called DPP Twin, Twin(1), Twin (2), Dual (3)...with two DISH arrays mounted on my roof to pick up the satellites at 119, 110, and 61.5. The more recent array (for the 61.5 satellite, I guess) is labelled DISH 500. The switches that I referred to were simply dual outputs for my two-room setup to receive satellites 110 and 119. Based on your info, I may try playing with my old 18" DISH with the leftover LNBR to confirm just NASA pickup.

However, it seems possible that the electronic guts of the 508 (or 4900) may not be that much different from FTA receivers that are available on the open market. Someone may have tried to convert a DISH or DIRECT receiver to FTA capability. But I may be thinking too simplistically...

Thanks again.:hatsoff:

WOW! Maybe I should learn how to sell on EBay...I really want to move these 2 I have on the shelf. Thanks for the heads up

I have seen several "ads" locally, including some sent to our house, about places that will sell stuff on eBay for you. That might be a good solution in this case....

Brad

I'm seeing them upwards to $200?!?
You're probably seeing "Buy It Now" listings for that price. I just did a search for "dish 508", narrowed it down to receivers (did include remotes and other accessories), then checked "Completed listings", i.e. WHAT THEY'VE SOLD FOR, not what people are asking for them. Around $100 is a pretty average selling price. A fair number sold for higher. Ironically, those that did sell higher mention ROM versions and what color smart card they include. Those are likely being bought by satellite pirates.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)