Legacy & DPP

Yes you can hook a dishpro reciever to a leg switch, the reason you can't hook a single leg reciever to a DPP LNB is because the leg rec can't push the 18 volts required to run the switch. Thats why you need one dish pro reciever to give the extra voltage. Now if you want to use a power inserter from a DP 44 switch, you could do that and that would let you run a leg reciever off a DPP.

Well i finally got the dish mounted and i have a 3900 running perfect on a DPP no swithches,no DP recievers,and no other sats.just 110 and 119.

the real answer to your question is "maybe"...
sometimes if it is a short enough run, and your legacy reciever is healthy... it may be able to power the DPP twin on its own. But if someone has a very long run, or a lot of connections and they are getting a lot of loss, a single legacy receiver wont be able to provide enough power to the DPP twin. Hell, a lot of the powered satellite meters out there can't provide enough power to the DPP twin, it sucks them dry fast.
So if you look at any of the paperwork for the DPP twin it will tell you that you have to have a DP receiver hooked up as well for a legacy receiver to work. Why, cause that is the safe thing for Dish to say...

Will Legacy receivers work with a Dish Pro Plus LNB with no DP receiver hooked up??

Here is the official chart on what works with what.

Attachments

• Compatibility Chart.JPG
    Compatibility Chart.JPG
    399.9 KB · Views: 184
Yes you can hook a dishpro reciever to a leg switch, the reason you can't hook a single leg reciever to a DPP LNB is because the leg rec can't push the 18 volts required to run the switch. Thats why you need one dish pro reciever to give the extra voltage. Now if you want to use a power inserter from a DP 44 switch, you could do that and that would let you run a leg reciever off a DPP.
You sound like a DISH trained installation technician a90 day wonder that really knows nothing about the products. A Legacy LNB used switching voltage to change polarity either 12 volts or18volts so how can you say Legacy "can't push the 18 volts required to run the switch.":) 3 of us posters have stated we are doing it successfully.

You sound like a DISH trained installation technician a90 day wonder that really knows nothing about the products. A Legacy LNB used switching voltage to change polarity either 12 volts or18volts so how can you say Legacy "can't push the 18 volts required to run the switch.":) 3 of us posters have stated we are doing it successfully.

even though the legacy equipment used either 13 or 18 volts to determine polarity, the DPP twins suck a ton of power, so just cause the reciever "can" put out 18 volts doesnt mean it is always going to work.
I can wire up 2 9-volt batteries and power the lnb also, but for only a very short time...(yes, it works, i've done it to line a dish up when my powered meter was dead and the homes electricity wasnt turned on yet)

So, to the 3 posters that say that they have their setup working, good for you...

but some of us on here also want people to know that its not a sure thing, it may or may not work, depending on quality of cable, length of cable, loss over connections, ect...

And in case you are curious, i'm not a Dish trained "a90 day wonder". I am an experienced tech that has been installing and servicing 1 and 2 way satellite systems for years now.

Bob is right that the legacy receiver can push up to 18v but the DPP Twin needs over 20v. I believe it's 21v or 22v. The Legacy receiver can push over 18v but it's overworking, running the risk of burning out.

If it's working, great. But I wouldn't push my legacy receiver.

The reason I posted the PDF file was because it's not approved by Dish Network. They recommend a Dish Pro receiver must be connected to provide enough power. I would assume that they tested in their labs before making such statement.

Bob is right that the legacy receiver can push up to 18v but the DPP Twin needs over 20v. I believe it's 21v or 22v. The Legacy receiver can push over 18v but it's overworking, running the risk of burning out.

If it's working, great. But I wouldn't push my legacy receiver.

The reason I posted the PDF file was because it's not approved by Dish Network. They recommend a Dish Pro receiver must be connected to provide enough power. I would assume that they tested in their labs before making such statement.

Well ,they dont have those regulations for us,since almost all dealers here in PR use legacy lnbs and switches,without any problems regardless is a Dp or legacy
receiver.

Here's my non-professional (90 minute wonder) 2 sense worth.

I believe "birddoggy's" first response was right on, which said "maybe".

And Dish, well I think they say you "can and you can't".

The "DISH Pro Plus Technology Quick Facts" says you can.
http://www.solidsignal.tv/dishnetwo...ments/QuickFacts-DISH_Pro_Plus_Technology.pdf
(1) Any DISH Network receiver can be connected to a Dish Pro Plus switch or LNBF; DISH Pro Adapters are not needed.
(2) Legacy receivers, without a DISH Pro Adapter*
- *Some restrictions apply

I suspect the restrictions are:
- 150' max cable lengths instead of 200' with Dish Pro and Dish Pro Plus (probably power requirements).
- RG-6 cable must be used (instead of RG-59).
- Some legacy receivers may not be able to receive a 3rd satellite position, or certain sat positions, making the wing dish input useless.
- I don't think all legacy receivers will recognize the DPP Twin switch.

However, the "DISH Pro Plus Twin LNBF Installation Considerations" says you can not.
http://www.solidsignal.tv/dishnetwo...allation_Considerations-DP_Plus_Twin_LNBF.pdf
- A DISH Pro or DISH Pro Plus receiver MUST also be connected to the LNBF.
- The Legacy receiver must be connected to the DPP Twin using RG-6 cable, no further than 150 feet away from the furthest LNBF.

I believe it's back to maybe, and all depends on the power requirement.
The DishPro 311, and DishPro Plus 322 are cheap. If you burn up a legacy, go to Radio Shack and buy a new DP/DPP receiver:D

Notice on the second document, the DISH Pro Plus Twin LNBF requires so much power, that if you use it on a DP-34 Switch, you need to connect a DPP-44 Power Inserter!

Last edited:
Birddoggy, Randall A, Smity Whity and especially Claude Greiner you are all hung up on 18 Volts. As I posted earlier the Legacy switches polarity by voltage switching. Legacy uses both 12 and 18 volts so the voltage has nothing to do with a DPP working with Legacy receivers. DP does band stacking so only 18+ volts is used Legacy switches voltage instead of band stacking so a DPP Twin will work with only 12 volts getting to the amplifier.

Birddoggy, Randall A, Smity Whity and especially Claude Greiner you are all hung up on 18 Volts. As I posted earlier the Legacy switches polarity by voltage switching. Legacy uses both 12 and 18 volts so the voltage has nothing to do with a DPP working with Legacy receivers. DP does band stacking so only 18+ volts is used Legacy switches voltage instead of band stacking so a DPP Twin will work with only 12 volts getting to the amplifier.

I totally agree with you Bob,I am believe since DN Dont have a control of the market of legacy equipments(Companies like Microyal,and Disecqs can make them)They came up with this so people in general come to buy more DP brands in witch they have a revenue.Myself I used both equipments and I dont see any different in quality when it come to a signal clarity o durability,I had costumers with legacy from 2001 with out changes in their equipments,storms come and go and still working flawless even running with more tan 150 feet cable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)