Legacy System Setup

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Papote

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2005
Next week I am going to brother’s apartment to try to check his Dish system as he says that he isn’t getting some channels anymore. It is an old legacy system. He has two 5 foot dishes pointing at 110 and 119. Each Dish has a legacy Eagle DTV32+ LNBs. From what I gather he has 2 - 3x8 (not confirmed) switches and multiple SW-21. I am not very familiar with this setup since I have all DPP gear.

My brother sent me some pics of the mess of switches and wires from the legacy setup.
Legacy Dish Install - Imgur

Since I am not sure if it is the LNB or switches, or both; I was thinking on testing each LNB first by connecting directly to the 510 receiver and checking if I get any signals. Is this possible? I understand that if so, I would get only even or odd transponders, depending on polarity.
Which port on the LNB would be the 13V right polarity and 18V left polarity? Or Must I need a switch for this?

Not sure what type of switch is connected to the Zinwell 3x4, but the cables comes from the LNBs to it. Then, from the 3x4 to the SW-21 to the receiver.

I understand that this is an extremely old system and should probably upgrade to DPP, but I want to evaluate what works and what doesn’t before I make the jump and spend too much.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Attachments

• zwRF5.jpg
    zwRF5.jpg
    673.5 KB · Views: 165
  • edenP.jpg
    edenP.jpg
    612.9 KB · Views: 135
  • dNTgb.jpg
    dNTgb.jpg
    684.7 KB · Views: 144
What a mess!!!!!!!!!!!! Start from scratch. In your other post he has a 510 is that the only receiver connected to the 2 dishes?

This is from his apartment complex. The neighbors ditched DISH and the only one left is my brother with a DVR 510.
Thinking that it was the SW-21 he purchased a new one.

I want to salvage what I can instead of getting all DP or DPP gear, since the LNBs are legacy.

call Dish that 510 isnt going to work much longer or PM one of our DIRT members. Let a tech come out and fix it, trust me it will be less stress on you in the long run

If the only receiver attached to that clusterf--- is the 510 then its easy as 1,2,3

1. find what cable goes from the SW21 to the 510
2. remove ALL the cables/switches/wires from the LNB's
3. Hook one cable to 110 dish to the SW21, one cable to 119 dish to the other port on the SW21 and hook up receiver

done :)

Are you in Puerto Rico because of the 5 foot dishes?

call Dish that 510 isnt going to work much longer or PM one of our DIRT members. Let a tech come out and fix it, trust me it will be less stress on you in the long run

The DVR is purchased, not leased. Also,DISH charges at least $95 for a service call here [Puerto Rico].
Just trying to help him out.

If the only receiver attached to that clusterf--- is the 510 then its easy as 1,2,3

1. find what cable goes from the SW21 to the 510
2. remove ALL the cables/switches/wires from the LNB's
3. Hook one cable to 110 dish to the SW21, one cable to 119 dish to the other port on the SW21 and hook up receiver

done :)

Are you in Puerto Rico because of the 5 foot dishes?

Yes, we're in PR.

Only one cable from the legacy LNB to the SW21 would work correctly on both polarities?

correct

That is how mine is set up (I'm not in PR but have a ghetto setup)
one cable from dish 1 dish to a SW21...one cable from dish 2 to other port on SW21 to a 211k

The only time you need those multiswitches is if you had more than 3 tuners on the setup. up to 2 tuners (2 receivers or a dual tuner receiver) will work just fine with no multiswitches

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)