Legal dish outside US?

BS ... I'd like a 'law enforcement official' to try and remove equipment from my residence. There is a law which states that is illegal to sub to dish or direct in Canada, however, they have NEVER charged an end user. No way it would hold up in court and they don't want the law tested. Not that I'm in Canada... just sayin' ;)
Just to add to this, I have a home in Canada being a duel citizen and I have family in Canada as well with a cousin in the RCMP and a while ago I asked him if they would ever go to a end users house and actually charge them under the law. At first he had a good laugh at my question, once he realized I was serious he said that it would "never ever happen" so I think Canadians are pretty safe as long as they don't broker the services to others in Canada.

Just to add to this, I have a home in Canada being a duel citizen and I have family in Canada as well with a cousin in the RCMP and a while ago I asked him if they would ever go to a end users house and actually charge them under the law. At first he had a good laugh at my question, once he realized I was serious he said that it would "never ever happen" so I think Canadians are pretty safe as long as they don't broker the services to others in Canada.

We do not need dueling citizens here :)

... But they do want to limit US cultural influences to maintain their own identity...
Take a look at Starchoice's (aka Shaw Direct) lineup. Just about everything aired by the Big 3, ABC, CBS, NBC, is carried. Fox as well. All the US domestic cable/dish content is carried too from HBO to ESPN. Yes, there's original Canadian content, but the majority is US produced programming.

Maybe their OTA content requirements are higher? Or pretty low all around? I think they should require the US to air the Red Green show. ;)

The Man's Prayer
Spoken slowly, with resignation and pauses.

I'm a man.
But I can change.
If I have to.
I guess.

K9SAT said:
Unless your in the armed services and have access to AFN, other than that your SOL.

AFN is not a Pay TV service. AFN rebroadcasts US Network TV for US Service members and their families. It is broadcast OTA, those living on base get their signal sent to quarters through cable, those living of base usually need a amplified antenna to receive the signal. The OTA signal is intentionally weak so the local population, with a multisystem tv, can't receive thesignal.
I should qualify that delivery method may have changed since I left Germany in 1992.

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

AFN is not a Pay TV service. AFN rebroadcasts US Network TV for US Service members and their families. It is broadcast OTA, those living on base get their signal sent to quarters through cable, those living of base usually need a amplified antenna to receive the signal. The OTA signal is intentionally weak so the local population, with a multisystem tv, can't receive thesignal.
I should qualify that delivery method may have changed since I left Germany in 1992.

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

AFN has a satellite service as well, not just ota, I've never been in the military, but I know from research that they do have a satellite based service(and I'm fairly sure they also have a cable service as well-if you are on post). The number of OTA broadcasts look like they are getting smaller as there is much greater selection via the satellite and cable based services(premium cable content and sports ppv's and dial global radio channels).There is no HD yet, but I think its coming later this year. Fairly sure the satellite based service is free but you have to pay for the equipment(which you can only get authorization to use if you are in the military or a dod member outside of a US territory). It is also not called the Armed Forces Network anymore, they changed the name to "American Forces Network" to avoid confusion with another country.

Last edited:
Puerto Rico is a territory of the US. Residents of PR are legal US citizens. US laws apply to PR as well.

Besides, agreements can be written with clauses like "except" or "including" when it comes to non-typical circumstances.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)