Legit Concern? (DVR Related)

jeremiahpreston

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
OK so I am thinking of going BACK to Dishnetwork from Direct for many reasons but most of all the fact that they want $200 for the HDDVR... Anyway I have been out of the loop for a year and all the searching that I have done on the subject of concern leaves me wondering. My concern is the lawsuit that is going on with Tivo and Dish. I really don't want to get into a 2 year deal with Dish only to have my DVR's turned off in a couple of months or even a year. Is this a legit concern or am I simply worried about something that is NOT going to happen? Simply put due to a very busy life my DVR is the only way that I can really watch the shows that I like to watch and DON'T want to loose it. Any help or input would be a really help putting me to easy one way or the other. Thanks ahead of time for any responses.

Just signed up a few days ago and they gave me the 722k automatically. Of course I called back to confirm that's what I was getting. It is a sweet DVR.

The lawsuit is over the older DVR's. The ViP series DVR functions are hardware based, not software based which is what the Tivo lawsuit is over.

Worry not.

The lawsuit is over the older DVR's. The ViP series DVR functions are hardware based, not software based which is what the Tivo lawsuit is over.

Worry not.

I didn't realize that.... Thanks Scott! Looks like I will be calling at lunch. Anyone know if they give any deals for an "old timer" coming back?

This is news to me too. I missed this in the other discussions. Can you provide a pointer ? I believe TiVo would have something else to say about this.

That be said, Dish would not let the PVRs get turned off (they would pay tivo, or swap any pvrs in violation). And it may all be moot - go read the other thread...

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...r-statement-regarding-tivo-5.html#post1969519

OK last bit of help/input PLEASE..... I set up the install and then started looking around and was finding some complaints about the Dish signal. The complaints is that the picture seems to go out a lot. When I had them a couple years back we would really only loose signal in heavy rain or snow (Michigan) has something changed? Should I expect to be able to watch TV without to many issues? To go along with that is there any suggestions on keeping snow off the sat other than a heater? Thanks ahead of time I am looking forward to some more HD (RedZone) but if there are known issues with signal drop I will need to rethink it. Please help guys!

Loss of signal in weather is due to poor dish pointing. If the dish is pointed right, with a locked signal in the 70s, then you shouldn't have any problems in weather.

As for the snow...can't help you there. There was a link someplace about a dish heater that looked cool.

Eastern arc (77/72.7.61.5) is entirely mpeg 4. Western arc (110/119/129) is a mixture of mpeg 2 and mpeg 4. ALL HD channels on both arcs are mpeg 4. As for hd lite , that is still in the eye of the beholder .

Eastern arc (77/72.7.61.5) is entirely mpeg 4. Western arc (110/119/129) is a mixture of mpeg 2 and mpeg 4. ALL HD channels on both arcs are mpeg 4. As for hd lite , that is still in the eye of the beholder .

So am I going to notice a difference coming over from Direct?

I was worried about the rain fade too. With Directv it had to absolutely pour down to affect my signal. Dish Network is the same. Had an awesome storm came through last week and I lost service for about 5 min. Didn't matter because I was outside watching the storm.

OK last bit of help/input PLEASE..... I set up the install and then started looking around and was finding some complaints about the Dish signal. The complaints is that the picture seems to go out a lot. When I had them a couple years back we would really only loose signal in heavy rain or snow (Michigan) has something changed? Should I expect to be able to watch TV without to many issues? To go along with that is there any suggestions on keeping snow off the sat other than a heater? Thanks ahead of time I am looking forward to some more HD (RedZone) but if there are known issues with signal drop I will need to rethink it. Please help guys!
We live in Western Michigan (Halfway between Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo in a snow belt).

For the past 2 winters snow has been waist deep on the ground here. During that time, the only time that we lost signal occurred when it was really snowing hard (like zero visibility snow falls) and then it was only for the time that it was snowing that hard. Once the snow let up, signal came right back. I would say in 2 years, we may have lost signal maybe 10 times, and none of them for more than 15 minutes. Many of them much less.

Geoff

So am I going to notice a difference coming over from Direct?
Ive had both Directv and Dish for a year or so now (canceled Directv lastnight) There is no noticeable difference in HD picture quality that I could tell on any of my HD sets (both LCD and Plasma). As for rain fades I wouldnt lose my signal with either unless it was a really really bad storm and then it would only go out for 5-10 minutes at a time. If your into HD and especially HD movies then move to Dish and dont look back.

Will this cause any issues?

New Dis sub-some observations

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)