Lenovo 900 thread.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Comptech

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
Travelers Rest SC
I know I said I would leave you guys alone tonight, but got off work early and it was waiting on my porch for me. I booted it up and it went straight into Win 10 pro and was activated. Took out the brand new SSD, that they even sent the empty box with the shipment. Low and behold a NVME 2280 slot. Pulled the SSD went to my main pc and downloaded windows media creation tool. Flashed a USB stick, put a spare Samsung 970 512 gig NVME drive in it, installed win 10 pro automatically, did all the updates and is activated. played 4k videos on you tube with out a hiccup and is really quick. The video posted in the other thread, pay very close attention when removing the hard drive cage. I was very carefull and did not pull the antenna ground plane wire off. Only disappointment was the postal system failed again and my 16 gigs of memory are not in it yet. Hopefully tomorrow. Pictures coming tonight.

Reactions: FTA4PA and TRG
I know I said I would leave you guys alone tonight, but got off work early and it was waiting on my porch for me. I booted it up and it went straight into Win 10 pro and was activated. Took out the brand new SSD, that they even sent the empty box with the shipment. Low and behold a NVME 2280 slot. Pulled the SSD went to my main pc and downloaded windows media creation tool. Flashed a USB stick, put a spare Samsung 970 512 gig NVME drive in it, installed win 10 pro automatically, did all the updates and is activated. played 4k videos on you tube with out a hiccup and is really quick. The video posted in the other thread, pay very close attention when removing the hard drive cage. I was very carefull and did not pull the antenna ground plane wire off. Only disappointment was the postal system failed again and my 16 gigs of memory are not in it yet. Hopefully tomorrow. Pictures coming tonight.
What? No Linux partition. ;)

Reactions: FTA4PA
Just getting windows set up and running perfect so far, pretty snappy too. Hopefully my Ram will be here tomorrow.
The m2 NVMe makes this thing scream.

If you order one, get a cheaper Samsung 960 instead of a 970, not sure it can handle the speed of the 970 I had laying around. Sent from mp 900!

Notice the grey wire from the hard drive cage to the wifi card, be very careful, it can be reattached, but you will need a microscope.
I'm pretty detail oriented so I don't think I'll miss it. And yes, I benefitted from the !!! CAUTION in the video.

Well it is official, I have a new media center tiny PC. Put the new ram in it and really sped it up. Scanned the arc with EBS pro have all my channels, then plug a 955q ATSC tuner in and used shibo to get all my locals.

This thread and the mini pc's in general have me thinking about getting an additional system using a card or usb receiver. I have an old Skywalker 1 that I haven't used in years now since I went to the apple platform as only the windows and BDA drivers were supported for it. I hate [despise, detest, abhor] Windows but I could talk myself into one of those Lenovo 900 units [loved my US made Lenovo thinkpads back in the day] and just plugging it into the Internet to setup and update and then running it in an air gap mode on the WIFI but not connecting it to the Internet.

My question would be what would be the best [subjective of course] mid level usb receiver [as I'm guessing no card receivers are made for the mini units] to get? I could probably resurrect my Skywalker but those drivers were put out well before Windows 10 and it's a dated receiver. Will any of the new ones do DCII in the zero key mode or run DSS streams using a DSS to DVB plugin?

I used to have a registered copy of Tsreader that I bought 10 years or so ago and I've read that the EBS pro is now freeware which seems to be a similar type of software [correct me if I'm wrong]. Just looking for an overall idea of recommended system pretty much dedicated to DVB and then of course I'd have to get a HDMI out adapter for the Lenovo as well. Can never have too much information and I could glean a lot from the Skywalker and TsReader back in the day. Just disappointed that there wasn't a good unit combo that would work on the Apple platform as I've been Apple and Linux since ditching Microsoft. Yeah.....I tried some DVB apps with Linux years ago but never got the knack for making all the command line changes to get it operational.

TIA

Arion, my main tuner is the TBS 5927, I also have a TBS 5520SE that works well, but the blind scan is slow and not real accurate. I would say look to ebay foe a deal on one. I think Rick's still sells them also new. If I remember they are about $225. there are newer ones with DVB SX, but more money and not much out there yet. The big thing is the older tuners don't do S2, and you need that now. As far as DSS and DCii can't help you there. Maybe fire up the Skywalker and see if maybe you can find a more current driver that may work. I know my prof7500 never has worked right under windows 10.

I hope I did not p@@s anyone of here after giving it rave reviews, but just picked up another one for $220. A little more but man are they cool little machines. And I hope it was not TRG I was bidding against, but I am done now. Needed this one for work so I can bring my Ryzen5 machine home.

I'd consider buying one but I'm working on upgrades and restores on my 2002 Mustang right now. And considering upgrading the stereo in my 2014 Xterra. So many toys, so little money. Plus other overdue projects. Usually snowballs into thousands of dollars.

My Lenovo M900 came in yesterday but I didn't have time to open it until today. I ordered it last Saturday, it shipped Monday and I received it on Friday. It came FedEx ground. I'm happy with that considering the shipping was, "Free."

I was surprised when I opened the box. This computer looks brand new. Even the protective plastic film was still on the power button, red Lenovo stripe and Think Centre name plate. The Power supply was new in a sealed bag and the WiFi antenna was in its own little ziplock bag and also looked new.

It booted up nicely, I logged into my Microsoft account and the setup was complete in a couple of minutes. Everything was up to date with the exception of Windows Defender and that took a few seconds to download and update.

I probably won't upgrade to the NVMe drive for a while. I have a honey-do list as long as my arm to sort through. And I'm fine with the included 8Gb RAM. Overall I'm very satisfied with this setup. It would make a great computer for anyone (except perhaps a gamer) who wants a nice compact and fast desktop for business or home use. I just installed Libre Office so I have Word Processing and Spreadsheet capability. I can't wait to get a Linux partition installed on it.

Sent from my new $200 Lenovo M900 :)

• Love
Reactions: Comptech