Less affluent subscribers cause of DISH woes? Say it ain't so Chuckles!!!

For the last quarter reported E* was off 76 percent from the previous year with only 85,000 new subs while D* added over a quarter of a million with about half subscribing to advanced services.

The article says the "NET" over 400k and 250k in US. Where else does DirecTV service?

Also, doesn't that # seem really high? They must have done a lot to reduce their churn.

What an absurd article. The services are priced almost identical. This might have been the case when Dish was first launched, but I don't see the differences anymore. Hardware wise especially, Dish has the nicer equipment these days.

This isn't true with lower-tiered programming. If it was true, I would still be with DirecTV, which was dropped in January 2007 because of the widening gap between DirecTV and Dish package prices. I'm also happier with the Dish equipment and SD image quality.

The article says the "NET" over 400k and 250k in US. Where else does DirecTV service?

Also, doesn't that # seem really high? They must have done a lot to reduce their churn.
They also provide service to South America. In the third quarter they gained 240,000 U.S. subs so the 4th quarter number isn't surprising at all considering their HD wasn't fully ramped up until the 4th quarter. According to a report on Fox Business Channel they are now the nation's number 2 television provider with only Comcast having more subs. Whether John Malone keeps this momentum going or manages to screw it up like he did with TCI is yet to be seen. I would be curious as to how many subs Comcast has.

Last edited: