Let me get this straight....you have all been waiting for 2/1 and E* really blew it!!

david4455

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2006
I have been following the anticipation of the February 1 release of the new equiptment...I in fact have been waiting as well for the release of the 622. The big day arrived and Dish really blew it. How can they have 9760 defective receivers on opening day? How can their CSR be so badly mis-informed? Most important...has there been ANY official word or apology from Dish network for this terrible release implimentation?

david4455 said:
I have been following the anticipation of the February 1 release of the new equiptment...I in fact have been waiting as well for the release of the 622. The big day arrived and Dish really blew it. How can they have 9760 defective receivers on opening day? How can their CSR be so badly mis-informed? Most important...has there been ANY official word or apology from Dish network for this terrible release implimentation?
Whats wrong with them? Why are they defective?

Call me crazy but I really don't care if it takes a month until I get the receiver. As long as it works as it should, I'll be happy. If they need to delay it a little while to fix a chip, that is fine. Until then, I will enjoy watch what I can with my 811.

Why do people need to complain about things every step of the way? We are on the bleeding edge of technology, there are bound to be bumps in the road.

I agree there are going to be bumps in the road, however in this case they should have had all their ducks lined up in a row.

They announced this stuff would be here February 1st, it should have been ready on February 1st.

Actually, it was hard statement - recall by faulty chips involved HW rework, a LOT of work !

I'm thinking is there just a fog for not ready software ?

slusig said:
Why do people need to complain about things every step of the way? We are on the bleeding edge of technology, there are bound to be bumps in the road.

I agree there are often bumps in leading edge technologies, but in this case there was an REALLY REALLY SIMPLE solution to maintain both their dignity and revenue stream...that solution was to wipeout the FAKE MPEG4 headers on the channels so existing equipment/subs could upgrade to metallic packages and see the channels WHILE they worked out the bugs...instead of just putting us all off.

Smith said:
Actually, it was hard statement - recall by faulty chips involved HW rework, a LOT of work !

I'm thinking is there just a fog for not ready software ?

This might actually be the best idea to whats going on yet. You'd think if they had all these receivers sitting around ready to be shipped, they'd have a public version of the firmware ready to load on them. However, over the past two days, they'd updated the BETA 622 firmware 3 or more times.

Maybe its a combination of hardware and software problems, but the software definitely does not appear to be ready for primetime just yet.

HokieEngineer said:
This might actually be the best idea to whats going on yet. You'd think if they had all these receivers sitting around ready to be shipped, they'd have a public version of the firmware ready to load on them. However, over the past two days, they'd updated the BETA 622 firmware 3 or more times.

Maybe its a combination of hardware and software problems, but the software definitely does not appear to be ready for primetime just yet.

I would expect to wait years.... LOL look at how long it has taken them to get NBR on the 510's... LIke the energizer bunny were still waiting, and waiting, and waiting

Scott, I am in full agreement with you. People make mistakes, things happen, but we are not talking about a mom and pop company. We are talking about a company that serves 12 million customers. My complaint has to do with lack of commutation. Do they not have a Director of Public Relations??? People need and can accept the truth. Most of us don’t like that we are not in an area where we can get the Superbowl in HD, but we all were told that from the beginning well before Feb 1st. But we are kept in the dark about the 622. E* is like a farmer milking a cow without a pail under it. Send a signal down without a receiver under it. DWS44, you are correct, no reason they can send everything down in Mpeg2 for now. They have way more the enough bandwidth.

Has there been any official company acknowledgment to this fiasco? Or are they letting the CSRs in India speak for them?

If all twelve million customers were aware of what's happening I'm sure there would be a great nashing of teeth, but realistically 90% of subscribers come home at night turn on their TV's and could care less as long as the screen lights up.

So what are they going to do with all of these receivers with bad chips, are they going to send them somewhere and have them fixed? Does anyone know what exactly is wrong with them? Sounds like what happened to the early Ulitimate TV units, they had chip problems too, when they got too hot they quit working.

I don't think it is a Chip problem. I think it is a HDMI problem. Now wheather that is a software or hardware problem -- nobody yet knows. However, I have to give it to Dish for not letting the defective units out the door. They could have just as easily done that and let the bricks fall where they may. IMO I believe they got it right this time by delaying the release. BTW, there were hints back in December that Dish might not be ready to go on Feb 1st.

Question for those of you who have a XBOX360 -- where are the new games -- heck -- where are the systems? New technology is always iffy when it first comes out. If you want to be a the front expect to get wet!

Cliff said:
...realistically 90% of subscribers come home at night turn on their TV's and could care less as long as the screen lights up.

Um, isn't that what you want too?

I will be thrillled when more HD content is available. But, I've been wating for years, a couple of months won't hurt me.

CB

I don't believe Dish EVER expected to have a reasonable number of 622s ready to ship on Feb 1st.

What's the reported figure 10k or so ? Just how many HD DVR subs are there ? If they had ever intended to have that many 622s available, they never would have made the April rebate promo $200. They would have made it more attractive to get one now and forego the rebate, thus moving more units out and more subs into the higher programing tiers sooner.

My guess that they wanted to get a feel for 622 interest before they really started ramping up production and see just how many subs they could "force" into 211s AND the new pricing NOW and maybe even SELL them a 622 later.

I predict as 622 installs get pushed more into March, Dish will somehow come up with a reason to delay the April 1st $200 rebate promo. Nahhhh, they wouldn't do that. Ok, we'll see.

david4455 said:
Has there been any official company acknowledgment to this fiasco? Or are they letting the CSRs in India speak for them? Most important...has there been ANY official word or apology from Dish network for this terrible release implimentation?Most important...has there been ANY official word or apology from Dish network for this terrible release implimentation/QUOTE]

Apology? Apology for what? Feb one rolled around and the Dish CSR's are filling orders as promised for the 622. Dish never said the 622 was going to be in your hands on that date, only orders for equipment upgrades would be taken. I watched the chat and yes I am a little disappointed with some aspects of the reallity of the details, but I really do not see where we were mislead to a point an apology from Dish is in order.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
david4455 said:
David I can't defend Dish for their CSR's lack of knowledge except to say it is a huge organization and very difficult to get everyone straight on the issues.
I applaud Dish for not shipping receivers with known problem. Many times in my 30+ years of manufacturing electronics our products experienced last minute problems and we stopped shipments (and stopped revenue flow) until we could get a fix. Our customers were upset, but how much more would they have been if we shipped a known defective product? That happens in electronics, take my word for it. Ever heard of Murphy?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts