Let my contract expire for better deals?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

drewlawson

Original poster
Jul 11, 2014
My contract expires on August 3rd. I called in to the Retentions Dept. and was offered $10 off for 12 months, $5 off for 24 months, a $100 VISA Gift Card and a $71.96 credit for 4 months of HBO and Showtime. It would add a 1 year contract. I also asked about Sunday Ticket Max and she told me that she could do it for $200 right now but if I call back in August, they might have something better for me. Would I get a better deal if I call back after my contract expires in a few weeks or was she just generally telling me that?

My contract expires on August 3rd. I called in to the Retentions Dept. and was offered $10 off for 12 months, $5 off for 24 months, a $100 VISA Gift Card and a $71.96 credit for 4 months of HBO and Showtime. It would add a 1 year contract. I also asked about Sunday Ticket Max and she told me that she could do it for $200 right now but if I call back in August, they might have something better for me. Would I get a better deal if I call back after my contract expires in a few weeks or was she just generally telling me that?
Chances are you will get a different response each time you call in ... you can probably call back right now and get something different, maybe not as good, maybe better.

Call and set up a pending cancellation a few days after your contract ends. I did and was set an email to call in so they could get my business back. I was offered $35 off monthly bill, NFL Sunday Ticket Max for free, $200 visa card, and a one time $30 bill credit for 12 months commitment. You should be able to get the same deal

Call and set up a pending cancellation a few days after your contract ends. I did and was set an email to call in so they could get my business back. I was offered $35 off monthly bill, NFL Sunday Ticket Max for free, $200 visa card, and a one time $30 bill credit for 12 months commitment. You should be able to get the same deal

That's amazing. Are you saying you got $35 off for 12 months ($420), ST Max ($325), Gift Card ($200) and the Bill Credit ($30) for a total of $975?

So what did you end up doing? My contract is up in October. Im trying to figure out what to do because I cant afford the regular rates.

So what did you end up doing? My contract is up in October. Im trying to figure out what to do because I cant afford the regular rates.

Well, i just got off the phone with them. I went ahead and let my contract expire and called in. First off, I've called in twice over the last month. The first time, I told the automated system to "Cancel Service". I do this every time I call in, to get sent to the Retentions dept (the best department) immediately, but this time I was sent to a regular rep and had to ask to be transferred to Retentions. Tonight, I changed it up and told the automated system "Retentions Department" and AGAIN it sent me to a regular rep and I had to be asked to be transferred to Retentions. So CONFIRM you're talking to the Retentions department when you talk to the rep. All I said to the guy was, "I think my contract expired and I just wanted to confirm that happened." THAT'S ALL I SAID." He replied, "Yeah, it has. You've got a lot of great offers here.", and then he began telling me what he could do. I never had to say anything about canceling, getting a discount or anything else. I was offered $10 off for 12 months ($120), $5 off for 24 months ($120), $100 Visa Gift Card and Free Regular Sunday Ticket ($240). We began talking sports and the SEC network since he mentioned he was a big SEC fan too and, after a while, I asked him if he could upgrade my Sunday Ticket to Max and he said it would be no problem (Add $85 value). He told me I qualified for 4 months of free Showtime and since we had been talking sports, I told him how much I loved Hard Knocks on HBO and he figured out a way to get me a credit for 3 months of HBO and still give me the 4 months of Showtime for free. ($54 for 3 months of HBO). All of this for only a 1 year agreement. I'm not leaving Directv anyway, so signing a 1 year lease is no problem. Bottom line, if you read my first post, my offer when I was under contract was $10 off for 12 months ($120), $5 off for 24 months ($120), a $100 VISA Gift Card and a $71.96 credit for 4 months of HBO and Showtime totaling $411.96. Today, one day after my contract expired, I received $10 off for 12 months ($120), $5 off for 24 months ($120), a $100 VISA Gift Card, a $54 credit for 3 months of HBO and Free 4 months of Showtime and Sunday Ticket Max ($325) totaling $719.00. I definitely think it helps who you talk to, as the rep I spoke with was very personable and I really enjoyed talking to him. I think our mutual interest in sports is why he upgraded my Sunday Ticket to Max when I asked him about it. Good luck to you!

here's my recent experience. i called about a week after my contract expired asking about any discounts they had available. i told them i was considering switching to Dish because they had some great offers ($30 lower monthly bill plus a $200 visa card). they offered me a $20 per month discount for a year with a 1 year contract. not bad but i declined. i called Dish (actually did the chat thing) and found out that they were actually going to be $40 cheaper per month plus the $200 visa card. that was too good to pass up so i went for it. after getting Dish installed, i called Direct a couple days later to cancel. at that time they offered me $30 off per month for a year, $200 visa card and free sunday ticket. i have to say that left me with feeling some switcher's remorse but i had the installation done.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts