Let the Cloud wars begin!: Dropbox, Skydrive, Google Drive

The challenge today is we live more and more in a "cloud"-based world, but real discussions about privacy rights just are not happening, and the law is 20 years out of date.

I started looking at encryption tools to take parts of my DB setup and encrypt it -- and it completely eliminates the "ease of use" that was provided by the very notion of dropbox.

And when I think about the grip that Google has on me -- the power it has from 8 years of housing ALL of my meaningful emails, several GB worth, and the difficulties of abandoning ship (just to think of all the sites I am registered with using gmail is mind boggling, including this site itself!) are over-whelming. And even if I were to abandon ship, what is my alternative? Host my own email on my Virtual Server through Jumpline.com? (I could, but not really appealing) My iCloud account? Eh... i might be a fan of Apple products today, but I don't know that I want them having my ENTIRE life any more than Google did. In the end, maybe its ok to keep a gmail, have a work account, and do calendering/tasks/photos/music through iCloud.

Got an email from google today and just activated google drive.Not as good as skydrive as far as storage but I still figure its good for pics.Can't ever have enough backups :)

And yea google privacy policies suck!As others stated if its something you want to keep private then don't put it in the cloud.

Slightly off topic...

I recommend gmx for another email provider.Have had an account with them for well over a year and haven't had one spam.Plus its pretty nice to only type a few letters @gmx.com

Last edited:
Yeah got my email from Google also and have my drive set-up, but won't be putting anything on there and is real private.

I had google docs downloaded, but they still don't have my drive setup yet.

This feature is not brand-new, but points out one of the ways you can get up to another 3GB of free space from Dropbox.

http://lifehacker.com/5905673/dropb...photo-uploading-and-up-to-3-gb-of-free-space?

I have not been doing that as of yet, but am thinking one of the uses I will have for either Drive or Skydrive will be for photo backup, as a supplement to my external hard drive solutions. Alas, my iPhoto library is already massive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)