Lets start a pool on Direc's net subscribers for 3/06

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Digital Dude

Home Theater Editor
Supporting Founder
Feb 9, 2005
SHADO
Ok fellow satguys, what is your best estimate of DirecTV's net subscriber gain/loss for March of 2006 with the change to leases?

My guess is net gain of 1,076 subscribers.

Let the game begin!

accounting for average expected churn of about 2% add into commitments ending in march 06, and new subs discovering that they will never own the equiptment, unlike car leases where u have the option to buy/pay the remainder at the end of the lease, i'll say in the 10-25,000 range. depending on just how informed the people are all.

Depends on how well the dealers lie and hide the facts from new subscribers. How many signed up with 2 yr contracts on all of the bogus information Company reps, dealers, satellite installers and etc spread here and at AVS???? So much for the "small fee" or "painless" upgrade costs. They could do very well for a couple of months until the truth spreads.

Last edited:
net gain JUST for march 2006 +44,100

we havent really slowed down, besides, most of my subs never even read the papers they are signing. maybe 1 per month even asks what they are signing.

I'm thinking it will drop about 20%. New subs looking for HD DVRs will be shopping around. And $299 from E* sounds a whole lot better than $499 from D*. Of course $0.00 from cable will sound a lot better.

The other 80%, I figure, will be SD DVRs subs and $99 (is that the lease price?) and that's not that big of a price.

markd said:
I'm thinking it will drop about 20%. New subs looking for HD DVRs will be shopping around. And $299 from E* sounds a whole lot better than $499 from D*. Of course $0.00 from cable will sound a lot better.

The other 80%, I figure, will be SD DVRs subs and $99 (is that the lease price?) and that's not that big of a price.
Is it really 0 from cable or do they tack on another 10 a month "use fee"

juan said:
Is it really 0 from cable or do they tack on another 10 a month "use fee"

Where cable makes up for it, at least here in Memphis, is they charge a DVR fee for each DVR you have. Not one DVR fee per account. Plus their lease fee is $2.00 higher than D*. Plus, once any special deal you have with them (usually 18-24 months) runs out their prices for the packages usually cost more.

So, yeah, cable does get their money back. But it's not an up-front cost. And a lot of people will/are have a problem with an up-front cost.

I KNOW I won't fall for it but I think it really depends on who is smart enough to really check it out and the other ones who just say"oh well".And it will be interesting in a few months time when customers wake up and come crying saying"Nobody told me this and I didn't know" But looking at how the country is being run today I'd have to kind of agree with DRAGON with not many looking or caring what they are signing and so D* will probably keep reeling them in.

I don't think it is going to have much effect at all. Here is why: Go to D* & E* site and order the following as a new customer.

1 SD receiver setup:
D* startup cost: $0.00 with a 12 month commitment
E* startup cost: $0.00 with a 18 month commitment
BOTH THE SAME

1 SD DVR setup:
D* startup cost: $0.00 with a 24 month commitment
BOTH THE SAME

1 HD receiver setup:
D* startup cost $0.00 with a 24 month commitment
E* startup cost $49.99 with a 18 month commitment
D* HAS A BETTER PRICE

1 HD DVR setup:
D* startup cost: $399.00 with a 24 month commitment
E* startup cost: $299.00 with a 18 month commitment
E* HAS A BETTER PRICE

lou_do said:
I don't think it is going to have much effect at all. Here is why: Go to D* & E* site and order the following as a new customer.

1 SD receiver setup:
D* startup cost: $0.00 with a 12 month commitment
BOTH THE SAME

1 SD DVR setup:
D* startup cost: $0.00 with a 24 month commitment
BOTH THE SAME

1 HD receiver setup:
D* startup cost $0.00 with a 24 month commitment
E* startup cost $49.99 with a 18 month commitment
D* HAS A BETTER PRICE

1 HD DVR setup:
D* startup cost: $399.00 with a 24 month commitment
E* startup cost: $299.00 with a 18 month commitment
E* HAS A BETTER PRICE

You get 49.99 back in credit towards your first bill on the hd receiver with e*

juan said:
You get 49.99 back in credit towards your first bill on the hd receiver with e*
That is correct. It is a setup fee of $99.98 and minus the $49.99 credit making it a $49.98 startup fee.

the commitment is optional W/ E*, you just don't get a $49 credit on the first bill and warranty included during the commitment

What about cancellation fees? One of the criteria for me staying with D* is an end to HDlite, so cancellation fees are important, but with E* I know they are already doing true HD and it will probably stay that way.

Last edited:
vurbano,

if i can find a way out of your directv contract,,,,will you SHUT UP??

and promise , once rupert blows charlie out of the water (or sky) that you WONT come back??!!

i will try to get you out of the contract....is that ....OK??

PLEASE............ RESPOND........the whining is really getting old!

PM ME, just give me the access card #S i can see your name and eq from that point......shocking, HUH??!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)