Letter from E* concerning 5 receivers

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mjschuyler

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 25, 2003
I have five E* receivers. Today I received a letter from E* that states all my receivers must be hooked up to my phone line. They also state that if I don't have phone lines I could use a wireless jack. All my receivers are DVR's. Two 721's, two 508's and a 501. It was my understanding that DVR's would not work with a wireless jack.

Since I only order PPV on receiver one and two they are the only two I have connected to a phone line. Receiver three is in my basement where I could run a line but I never bothered. I will hook up a line to this one this week. Receiver four is in my Camper as I have a RV waiver.

Receiver five is in my unattached garage. It has power but no phone line. I would have to run an underground cable out to the garage. I can't do it myself as I have a bad rotator cuff. How far can a wireless jack reach? This would be about 35 ft. It would have to "broadcast" thru my house wall then thru a stucco masonry wall to the receiver. I have tried to use the X-10 RF video transmitters but I had to have one outside my house and take it in everytime it rained. It also would cut out alot so I gave up. I finally put a metal fence pole in a five gallon bucket and ran a separate dish for that receiver it works great.

My question is since I am doing nothing wrong, should I ignore the letter or call E* with my explanation. E* says I only have to call if I can not hook up all my receivers to a phone line. Can E* tell that receiver five is not on a phone line and would they shut it off? Has anyone received a similar letter? I realise E* is concerned with someone giving receivers to other people and sharing an account.

By the way the reason I have so many DVR's is I have the "NHL Center Ice" hockey some times there are up to nine games on one night. I try to record all the games since I often work nights. My wife records "HDTV" and all the "Law and Order" type shows.

Murray

Before the DBS companies think they can start enforcing a "phone line rule" they better realize what is happening in the phone industry. More and more people are dropping their "land line service" for mobile service every week. In the future a lot of people won't have a "land line" to hook up to their receivers. The satellite companies need to come up with some other way to verify multiple receiver accounts.

I got the same letter. I have 5 DVRs. I was told to expect a call in the next 3 weeks. It has something to do with an audit of accounts with more than 4 receivers, or so they say. They made it sound like I need to hook-up the wireless jacks, or ... well they didn't say. lol, Tho the implication is that you risk having your service terminated. I told them if they can figure a way to hook them up to lines or wireless jacks, then do it.

5 receivers

Fillp, did you speak to someone at E* directly or is this your understanding of the intent of the letter. How much were the wireless phone jacks or did E* offer the jacks at no charge. Do you have a RV waiver and do you have to have that receiver plugged in too?

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions.

Murray

There is a phone number in the letter. I called it and talked to a rep and supervisor. They said my options would be explained in detail when i was contacted by phone by the people handling the auditing of accounts. They were very nice and told me that they were sure there was a way to work out the phoneline option. I believe they said the wireless phone jacks were free, but don't hold me to that. I have all my receivers in my house and have always had just one hooked to a phoneline. So no, I don't have an RV waiver. By the way, I was VERY unhappy with this letter, since I have spent a lot of money on equipment and installations, over the years. I also take just about everything they offer and have auto-pay so I resent this stupid rule, that they are selectively enforcing. I told them their installers and service people have been to my house and seen my set up many times. There is an installer coming out Monday with a new 510, but they said they still will require all my machines to be hooked up to a phoneline. This is just so they can call in occassionally to prove I am not a thief(my words). I'm disgusted by the whole thing!!

mjschuyler said:
I have five E* receivers. Today I received a letter from E* that states all my receivers must be hooked up to my phone line.

That's interesting! I just activated my fifth receiver and only three of mine are hooked up to phone lines. I already use one wireless phone jack and don't plan to hook up any more. They can send a DNSC guy out to count my receivers as far as I'm concerned. I don't plan to spend $120 on two more wireless systems.

--- WCS

I had no idea the wireless phone jacks were so expensive! I told them they could send someone out to check my setup without an appointment, as this would prevent me from "covering my thieving butt" before they come. This apparently won't work either. I'll know more after the call from the auditing department.

Filip, thanks again for your help. I picked my mail late Saturday (with the letter from e8) as I was out all day with my wife. I went to a local AHL Hockey game last night in Hartford so I did not get home until after 10:00 pm last night.

I'm a Supervisor at a True Value Store and work Sunday from 8:00am to 5:00pm. I got up a little later than usual as I watched a couple of hockey games I recorded last night. I used my MSNTV to send a reply to Filip. I always shut off my receivers when I am not using them. By now I was running very late but I decided to check my 721's timers. When I turned on the 721 I got an "acquiring satellite" screen then it said I did not have authorization for that channel. The same thing happened on my 508 in the bedroom. I also lost all my custom guides and the channel up and down order was reversed. The timers are still ok on the 721 the 508 said something like "info not updated" so I shut it off.

My question is : did anyone else have this happen and did they get the infamous "5 receiver letter"?

I am at work so I can not keep checking for a reply but I will check tonight.

Thanks Filip and everyone

Did the pack win?

I'm also a huge hockey fan, but I can not get into the AHL. It seems like such a big step down, and not knowing most of the players it begins to be hard to follow. NHL CI subscriber here also. Love those CBC HNIC feeds.

mjschuyler said:
Filip, thanks again for your help. I picked my mail late Saturday (with the letter from e8) as I was out all day with my wife. I went to a local AHL Hockey game last night in Hartford so I did not get home until after 10:00 pm last night.

I'm a Supervisor at a True Value Store and work Sunday from 8:00am to 5:00pm. I got up a little later than usual as I watched a couple of hockey games I recorded last night. I used my MSNTV to send a reply to Filip. I always shut off my receivers when I am not using them. By now I was running very late but I decided to check my 721's timers. When I turned on the 721 I got an "acquiring satellite" screen then it said I did not have authorization for that channel. The same thing happened on my 508 in the bedroom. I also lost all my custom guides and the channel up and down order was reversed. The timers are still ok on the 721 the 508 said something like "info not updated" so I shut it off.

My question is : did anyone else have this happen and did they get the infamous "5 receiver letter"?

I am at work so I can not keep checking for a reply but I will check tonight.

Thanks Filip and everyone

Question: is there anything in the licence with Dish that you sign when you start service or get a new receiver that REQUIRES a phone line to be hooked up to the receiver. It has been so long, I can't remember if there is such a clause.

Big Bob said:
Question: is there anything in the licence with Dish that you sign when you start service or get a new receiver that REQUIRES a phone line to be hooked up to the receiver. It has been so long, I can't remember if there is such a clause.
Yes, the phone line requirement IS in the terms of service.

JL

The phone line requirement is in the contract and has always been. (See related post about vacation home use) I know in the past, Dish would randomly accept verification over the phone. There is a code in ID screen that changes (at least it did in the older receivers - 4900,2700, etc) so that dish could ask for that code. The box would in theory have to be with you to give the correct code. I do not have personal knowledge of how this works, but have read posts about it over the years.

Thanks everyone for all your advice. I read the agreement that E sent it does show that a phone line is one of the requirements. I have another reason for not wanting E* to see my equipment.

I am Canadian that is one reason I'm into hockey. I bought a cottage in Prince Edward Island Canada this summer. While I was there I purchased a used Bell Expressvu 5100 receiver. I brought the receiver home with me and intend to take it back when I go to Canada. This is receiver manufactured by E* for Bell. It is identical to a 501 except it says Bell Expressvu on it. I am using my original Dish 300 dish with it. If Dish was to send a technican to look over my setup he would see that I have three E* dishes and may not know that one of the dishes is pointed to a Canadian satellite It is very hard to tell as the satellite is a 91 degrees. Also technically it is illegal to receive Canadian satellite service in the USA. Could he "turn me in" so to speak?

I guess the only solution is to connect phone lines to four receivers. I will insist that the "RV" receiver does not need a phone line. I built the receiver into a wall of my RV so I don't want to remove it. If I did take out could I just hook up a phone line? I don't have enough feeds from my dishes.

One question that was not answered is how far will a wireless phone jack travel. Will it work between two buildings? My garage and house are 25 to 40 feet apart. Has anyone tried this and what brand is best and where should I buy one?

mjschuyler said:
One question that was not answered is how far will a wireless phone jack travel. Will it work between two buildings? My garage and house are 25 to 40 feet apart. Has anyone tried this and what brand is best and where should I buy one?

My wireless transmitter and receiver are 30 feet apart and separated by two walls and they work fine. I got them at Radio Shack.

--- WCS

Appied Aggression, no the "Wolfpack" tied the Springfield "Falcons". They are in first place and have only lost one away game in OT. So they have at least a point in every game so far. It is a very good team this year. They remind of the 2000 team that won the "Calder Cup".

I was very depressed when the "Whale" left but I went to the first scrimage game when they played the Islander's minor team. The skill level my not be NHL every night but they usually play hard. It is great to see a player like Rico Fata get chance in Pittsburgh and come through for Mario. It was tough to see players go up to the Rangers and not be able to catch on with the team. The two teams were using different systems so the players did not fit into the Ranger style of play. Several players like Anderson with the Kings have turned into regulars on other teams.

Last year they replaced the coach and changed to match the Rangers' style. I think now we will see players that can go to NY and fit in.

They are stressing speed with sharp passing and team scoring. They used to have one or two guys do most of the scoring. The team is much younger and in better skating condition. They move up and down the ice very quickly. They are learning to get their shots up and to "keep their stick on the ice" as Red Green says.

The games are $20 or less so it is much more affordable.

Murray

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)