Letter to Congressman

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ShaneLinder

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 1, 2006
Texas
Here is a copy of my letter to my congressman:

September 24, 2007

Shane Linder
XXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXX, Texas XXXXX

Representative Rubén Hinojosa
U.S. House of Representatives
2463 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20515

Dear Mr. Hinojosa:

SUBJECT: FCC APPROVAL OF DOMINANT TRANSPONDERS TO ECOSTAR

From what I understand, the FCC is currently considering the sale of the Dominion’s DBS transponders to Echostar. Dominion has been the only DBS provider of exclusively Christian and family-friendly programming. They provided small Christian broadcasters, like FE TV in Harlingen, an opportunity to reach the mass public. Without them, many of these channels will struggle to get to their audience.

Since Dominion will no longer be in the DBS business, I would like to see the FCC require DBS and cable companies to carry more public interest channels. That would give these small broadcasters a greater ability of reaching their audience. My understanding is that public interest channels are non-profit and offer programming that is religious, educational or in some way offers some other benefit to the public. In this time when violence, foul language and sexual content are so prevalent on network television, many families want to have more options. Since Dominion’s Sky Angel will no longer be one of those options, it is only appropriate for the FCC to require more public interest channels be added by cable and DBS providers.

Respectfully,

Shane Linder

I dont know if the FCC will change the law...here is the rules

The FCC rules on Public Interest Channels and DBS are posted on the FCC web site
http://ftp.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Mass_Media/Orders/1998/fcc98307.txt

Below is a synopsis:

These are the rules regarding PI carriage in layman's terms:

1. 4-7% of the channel capacity must be reserved for PI channels (The key here is "reserved", other channels may use the reserved space until a PI channel becomes available).
2. If the percentage of reserved space results in a fraction the number of PI channels are rounded up (IE: if 4% is 2.35 channels the provider needs to carry 3 channels. Basically there is 1 PI channel for every 25 channels).
3. The percentage is determined by the average of the channels offered in the previous year with channel counts taken once per quarter (IE: the number of PI channels in 2003 are based on 2002 channel counts).
4. PI channels must not be charged more than the wholesale charge for carrying the channel.
5. Only 1 channel from an entity may be carried as PI unless all PI channels in the country have been given an oppurtunity to be carried (this will never occur as there are more PI channels than space).
6. PI channels may not be edited by the provider nor may the provider have any interest in the channel (IE: the provider can't own all or a part of the channel).
7. PI channels are to be treated like all other channels in the line-up and are to be given the same treatment (IE: channels are to be given the same amount of bandwidth as other channels).
8. A variety of channels with a variety of viewpoints must be carried (IE: you have to carry more than just religious PI channels).
9. The PI channels must be offered to every subscriber free regardless of package (E* intreprets subscribers as those with AT-50 or higher, anyone with less isn't a subscriber, but a customer. D* makes their PI channels available to everyone regardless of programming level).
10. To qualify as a PI channel the channel must be non-commercial and owned by a non-profit or government entity.

Looking through my letter I see that MS Word changed what must have been mis-spelled "Dominion" to "DOMINANT" in my subject line. Hmmm, why is it that MS Word thinks it is smarter than the user?

I know 3ABN became available in a town where I use to live and a friend told me he had to subscribe to a $50 package instead of his $22 package to get it. In my mother's town, she would have to subscribe to a $70 package to get 3ABN. Not sure how they figure that but that is how it is there.

I would be satisfied if the FCC would raise the "set-aside" percentage to the full 7 percent on the 8 transponders that are currently licensed to SA*, as a condition of their transfer to E*. This would not quite double the number of PI channels, but it would open up a lot more slots so that former SA* programmers and others could get on the air.
I would also like to make all these channels available FTA (the 7% of the 8 TPs). Alternatively, if E* wants to just make them part of the "Free PI Pack" available on request, then the FCC should require this package be truly free, and not require a $6/mo fee for those who do have a basic package. (Alternatively, I could be happy if they simply had a $6/mo minimum billing, but you could buy one or two channels a la carte to reach it.)

That's the problem. Some of my favorite SA* programmers, like Spirit Communications (TVU, RadioU, Spirit) are only available FTA on C-Band, not Ku.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts