Letterbox and or/bars.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ndcoop

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2007
Is it normal for some HD stations on Dish to have pillarboxes or letterboxes? My friend has a 50in tv, as do I, and he gets cable vs. dish. On the same HD station, mine will have bars while his does not (he is not in zoom format). I noticed that I do get more stations in HD than he does, but many of mine have bars and don't look that much different than that SD station. I'm thinking maybe I have something set wrong or need to make some kind of a modification. Any suggestions or comments? Thanks.

Is it normal for some HD stations on Dish to have pillarboxes or letterboxes? My friend has a 50in tv, as do I, and he gets cable vs. dish. On the same HD station, mine will have bars while his does not (he is not in zoom format). I noticed that I do get more stations in HD than he does, but many of mine have bars and don't look that much different than that SD station. I'm thinking maybe I have something set wrong or need to make some kind of a modification. Any suggestions or comments? Thanks.

Do you have your receiver set to 16x9? Even if so, yes it is normal. Not every program on an HD channel is HD. Some channels, very little if at all. Nothing is different between cable and Dish if the program is originated in SD. Both Dish and cable merely pass along what the channel is sending.

Last edited:
Be more specific about a specific channel or event. Most likely your friend doesn't realize that he has a zoom or stretch feature set on his TV or cable box and doesn't realize it. For instance my Pioneer plasma has an option where when black bars are detected it will automatically zoom the picture (I personally don't have this enabled because I don't like it, but the default was on).

Be more specific about a specific channel or event. Most likely your friend doesn't realize that he has a zoom or stretch feature set on his TV or cable box and doesn't realize it. For instance my Pioneer plasma has an option where when black bars are detected it will automatically zoom the picture (I personally don't have this enabled because I don't like it, but the default was on).
The channel was ESPNU. At his house, the basketball game filled the full screen. I came home and found pillar boxes on my set. While at his house, I checked to make sure he had his set to "normal" aspect ratio. I checked mine at home as well. I have a panasonic and he has a samsung, both plasma tv's. My panasonic does not have the auto zoom, but his might... I will check it out. Thanks.

Do you have your receiver set to 16x9? Even if so, yes it is normal. Not every program on an HD channel is HD. Some channels, very little if at all. Nothing is different between cable and Dish if the program is originated in SD. Both Dish and cable merely pass along what the channel is sending.
Yes, it is set to 1080i and 16:9 ratio. I have a 1080, he has a 720... could that make a difference?

Yes, it is set to 1080i and 16:9 ratio. I have a 1080, he has a 720... could that make a difference?

No. If it really was the EXACT same program, it had to have been zoomed one way or another.

The channel was ESPNU. At his house, the basketball game filled the full screen. I came home and found pillar boxes on my set. While at his house, I checked to make sure he had his set to "normal" aspect ratio. I checked mine at home as well. I have a panasonic and he has a samsung, both plasma tv's. My panasonic does not have the auto zoom, but his might... I will check it out. Thanks.

Well, that answers it. Dish does not have ESPNU in HD. Hopefully we'll get it on Dish soon!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts