Lifetime, AE and History Channel available on Roku

Time Warner is not one of their partners either...

Just tried A&E and History, no login required and every show I tried worked. I am on TW for internet but use Dish for tv.

I wonder if they discover the ip address as TW and is allowing the content without a login?
When I tried about two weeks ago, Time Warner wasn't listed as a partner. Did that change ? I was wondering if a TW IP address would suffice for the recently added ESPN channels, but it doesn't either, so I'd be surprised if this is any different. They still require you to login, which checks your subscription level. For myself and others who only use TW for internet, it won't suffice.

I have internet only through Time Warner. The only other thing I pay for is netflix. I installed these three apps on my roku 2xs. None of them asked for a login. These apps seemed to only have stuff that would be available on the channels' websites, maybe less. I didn't explore any of the app extensively. Come to think of it I don't think I actually played any of the videos. At what point does it ask you for a login?

There are (or was) two categories of stuff available. One, call it "free", doesn't require logging in. There was a preview for Vikings available in that section, for example. If you wanted to watch full episodes of recent shows, it asked for a login after you select the program (maybe after you hit "play" - can't remember).

I'm going to check it again now.... Maybe it's changed

I have seen a couple people post about this. What was this about? How come I never saw this offer?

When AMC was pulled from the Dish line-up for a while, Dish was offering free Roku boxes and $10 one-time discount on the bill for those who called and complained so they could have access to "their stories" via Amazon :) It was unadvertised, but WIDELY discussed in these forums.

It started in this thread on page 67 and continued to the end of the thread 50 pages later.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads...etworks-(AMC-Back-on-DISH-channel-131)/page67

There were several other threads about it.

I don't know why, but our family uses the A&E, History and Lifetime ROKU app without having CATV, Dish or Dish Network. These apps have provided full episodes since the day they became available on all our ROKU's.

Just caught this thread very interesting! 2 out of the 3 are my wifes favorite stations.Maybe now I can convince her to get rid of cable and use satellite,local by antenna and steaming by Roku.Should be much cheaper than the cable bill we now pay.

We cancelled Dish a year ago (1/1/2013) and now have more programming choices than ever before using FTA satellite, ROKU, OTA, PLEX and XBMC. I'm becoming a couch potato. :) The money we are saving goes towards new electronic toys and newer TV's.

Update: My wife told me last night that "some" of the programming on these recently added ROKU channels "do" require that you enter a CATV or satellite provider. I was not aware of that, because all the programming she has been watching up until now were free without this requirement.

Everyone can see the same stuff in the menus/lists, I believe. Unless you're linked with a provider though, you can't play them back. I have Dish, who isn't a partner, for my TV and Time Warner for cable and they are not a partner either.

I also noticed when I got Roku3 yesterday that you must enter a provider from a list and yes Comcast isn't on it.I wouldn't think a cable tv provider would want to work with Roku since it may take business away from them.I see much fighting in the future between cable,and dish vs streaming providers like roku for market share.

I wouldn't think a cable tv provider would want to work with Roku since it may take business away from them.
They aren't working with ROKU, they're working with the networks. Those networks in turn develop an app (for Roku, TVs, BD players, etc) or allow access via their website.

can a cable company prevent a service like roku or Netflix from operating on there cable lines without getting some of the action?.Seems to me that since the cable co put in the cable and maintains it that they have a right to prevent others from usng the cable for free and may loose some cable tv customers also.PS im not a big cable tv fan and soon will drop the service except for the internet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts