Lifetime Ala Carte?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The only one with anything to lose is Lifetime, if they don't accept this offer it really means they don't care about the women they want to see the channel, and in fact all they care about is the money.

The offer is on the table, the ball is in Lifetime's court. Will they make the right choice?

"I'm a man and I like Lifetime too. I'm mad at Dish as well. All they ever do is go up on the bill but yet removing channels that we want. It stinks!"
— Mark; Dunn, North Carolina

Do you think this guy is gay? Token male on the Lifetime web site who is upset with Dish. Too funny.

Charlie has backed LifeTime into a corner here. Either LifeTime takes the offer and probably get about 15% of Dish's total customer base back, or they don't take it at all and have egg on their face because they are the one's who are now not allowing their channels to be viewed on Dish.

fenwah said:
"Charlie has backed LifeTime into a corner here. Either LifeTime takes the offer and probably get about 15% of Dish's total customer base back, or they don't take it at all and have egg on their face because they are the one's who are now not allowing their channels to be viewed on Dish.

My guess is that Dish will lose about 3 or 4 percent of new signups to Direct TV and cable, from people who care about Lifetime. Not a huge number but still significant to the bottom line.

By the way, no one has mentioned that PBS YOU is going off the air this week. Any chance it will be replaced by Current TV, another Public Service Channel???

catnap1972 said:
Dish is calling Lifetime's bluff that claims they have "scorned viewers numbering in the millions". Charlie is figuring (correctly) that the number really is a drop in the bucket and is offering compensation that's commensurate all while getting the public onus off of him ("well we were willing to give it to you for FREE, but Lifetime refused")

Couldn't DISH technically track your TV viewing habits with the satellite box? After all, it is connected to a phone line. They could create a log of your viewing habits. As long as they don't sell the information and use it for internal use only. Then, they would have the necessary information on how many hours of LifeTime is viewed each day for their entire user base.

Lifetime Refused.

Scott Greczkowski said:
The only one with anything to lose is Lifetime, if they don't accept this offer it really means they don't care about the women they want to see the channel, and in fact all they care about is the money.

The offer is on the table, the ball is in Lifetime's court. Will they make the right choice?

I posted earlier (with a link) that Lifetime refused the offer. I guess no one saw my post? A Colorado News website had the information last night.

I think it all boils down to this.......Dish could care less about their subscribers, and Lifetime could care less about their viewers. Life goes on, and although I really miss LMN, it certainly isn't going to ruin my life as I have plenty of other things I should be doing anyway!

Sean Mota said:
This is all about who look the best from a PR point of view.

***No Network that depends on advertising revenue would ever accept a la carte ****

Charlies latest suggestion is just another "a la carte" disguise. Of course, he is not stupid and will try to make it look like he is really trying but in the end the only ones that suffer are those that care about the channel. I personally do not care about the channel but if it was a channel like scifi, espn, history or your **favorite** channel would you think differently then?

Here's something for Charlie: Why doesn't he do the same for every channel. I double dare him to let me choose only the channels I want by calling Dish Network and the rest I will not pay for them. How about that option for evey subscriber --- that is only fair.

Charlie is not being hypocritical since he has come out in support of a la carte and if the programmers allowed, he would gladly offer all channels a la carte.

There's no disguise at all. If it were SciFi or History offered the same way, I'd gladly call up and subscribe. That is the only "fair" solution, but he is prohibited from offering that solution. In this case, it was a fair offer to Lifetime - but an offer he knew would not be accepted. It wasn't a bluff, because he'd have no problem doing it, it was just a non-starter because he knew Lifetime (or any network) has no interest in doing what's fair over what is in their best interest economically.

twinrocks said:
I posted earlier (with a link) that Lifetime refused the offer. I guess no one saw my post? A Colorado News website had the information last night.

The article is gone.

NightRyder

twinrocks said:
Dish could care less about their subscribers

I don't get this logic (assuming you meant to say could not care less) - it makes no sense at all.

The overwhelming majority of E* subs are not willing to pay extra for Lifetime. Forcing those vast majority of subs to pay for Lifetime would be the "uncaring" thing to do here.

It now appears that Dish would supply Lifetime for free to anyone who requests it. Actually, that isn't such a bad deal.

Half a loaf is better than none.

Again, alll the paperwork and Customer Rep calls would cost Dish a fortune.

there really isnt any paperwork. It would be added just as any channel would (like a movie channel, Int'l, the few ala-carte channels you can add like Outdoor Network) in their computer :)

I read somewhere that everytime you speak to a Dish Network Rep, it costs dish about $5.00.

When was Current TV uplinked? Any information of what channel it would appear on?

mitchflorida said:
I read somewhere that everytime you speak to a Dish Network Rep, it costs dish about $5.00.
sounds like they say that so when they charge you $5 to downgrade programming or sidegrade (chuck HBO and get Showtime) sound like they have to work for it.

When was Current TV uplinked? Any information of what channel it would appear on?
couple weeks ago it was uplinked....dont know the channel info but it it will be on 110 satellite

edit....according to www.dishchannelchart.com it is uplinked to channel 9879. It probably wont stay there..its just warming that channel :)

Scott Greczkowski said:

If you ran Lifetime, would you take this offer?

Lets say that the fee paid to Lifetime is $1 per sub and of the 12 million Dish subs 1 million will take Life time ala carte.

So you would take $1 x 1 million subs vs $1 x 12 million subs?

Or would you take $1 x "zero" subscribers?

They can't take it because it screws their business model - but by offering it, Charlie removes the whole "anti-women" and "don't care about female subs" arguments. It boils it down to what it was before Lifetime started shoveling all the hyperbole - a contract dispute that is all about the money. Nothing to do with women, women's causes, or fairness.

Curtis0620 said:
If you ran Lifetime, would you take this offer?

Lets say that the fee paid to Lifetime is $1 per sub and of the 12 million Dish subs 1 million will take Life time ala carte.

So you would take $1 x 1 million subs vs $1 x 12 million subs?

$1 x 1 million subs is better then $0 x 0 subs. :)

twinrocks said:
I posted earlier (with a link) that Lifetime refused the offer. I guess no one saw my post?

I saw the article. It boiled down to:

Reporter: What do you think of the offer Lifetime?

Lifetime: Both Channels "should be available to all Dish subscribers without an extra cost"

Reporter: No, no...there would be no extra cost. What do you think now?

Lifetime: *cricket* *cricket* *cricket* *cricket*
-------------

Saying that this is proof that Dish could care less (should be COULDN'T care less...if they could care less that means they care enough that they could give less care) is really backwards. They are attempting to prevent the meteoric rise in prices they pay. This eventually will affect the subscriber in ADDITIONAL price hikes. You can't expect a company to continue to pay more and more and more without us paying more and more and more.

See ya
Tony

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)