Lifetime Ala Carte?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Wave to the Mountian person

We may get sucky reception, but the view is worth it. There is this one home off the Parkway on 18. The house is falling down, patched with unsealed particle board(poofs when it rains, and falls apart), but they have a really nice sat system. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The Hearst O&O stations are out of the woods for a year or three. Dish and Hearst signed a carriage agreement for the Hearst locals separately in very late December. It was announced in a separate thread a week and a half ago.

Lifetime was left out to dry by its parent company.

See ya
Tony

lou_do said:
In this area it has been on the local TV news, in the newspapers and Lifetime is running ads on the local channels, telling people to drop DISH and switch to DirecTV or the Brighthouse Cable. I am sure almost everyone knows about it by now. I know the women of families in my neighborhood know it is not on. One of my neighbors told me that if by Friday, Lifetime is not back on DISH his wife will be making a call to DirecTV.

I work for a local cable studio. Only one person at work even knew about this AND WE WORK IN THE INDUSTRY. Less people than you know have any knowledge of this and even less are interested.

See ya
Tony

boogerbear said:
We may get sucky reception, but the view is worth it. There is this one home off the Parkway on 18. The house is falling down, patched with unsealed particle board(poofs when it rains, and falls apart), but they have a really nice sat system. :rolleyes:

I dare say some of us mountain folks have homes and views that would knock the socks off you city folks. And yes, we have the latest sat systems, too.:p

BFG said:
I take it the update means, that if dish will be making lifetime ala carte available for free, then dish will be paying the costs but only have to pay for the # of subs that take the time to request the channel, and if a bunch of people request it for the heck of it, not much gain for dish :)

E* will still save a ton of money (over pre-yanking costs). Even if 100% of subs call and request Lifetime - and E* pays the new price for Lifetime - they still avoid the added costs of LMN & LRW. The net cost will be less than the previous combined cost of Lifetime & LMN, and much less than the proposed cost for Lifetime, LMN & LRW.

It's a win-win situation (If Lifetime accepts - E* wins....if they decline - E* wins) :)

You know I find it funny that I couldn't find any mention of the latest offer Dish made to Lifetime on the Lifetime website.

I've been trying to distance myself from this as of late, but the drama along with Mitch's posts are just to damn funny. :)

Nothing on Lifetime but try the message boards

If you want humor, go look at the lifetime message boards.
Go to boards.
Go to Talk about Lifetime television (link on side)
Go to what do you think of lifetime (pops up on the middle of the page)
I am surprised Lifetime has not totally cleaned out all the nay sayers.
:devil:

boogerbear said:
If you want humor, go look at the lifetime message boards.
Go to boards.
Go to Talk about Lifetime television (link on side)
Go to what do you think of lifetime (pops up on the middle of the page)
I am surprised Lifetime has not totally cleaned out all the nay sayers.
:devil:

i checked it out and they have a link to satellite guys. here is what it said.

By aerith on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 at 9:27pm (#1351 of 1353)

By the time Lifetime mods read this, they should be calling Dick Nutwork!!!
Did you know that Dick Nutwork's encryption system (Nagravision 2) has been hacked? THAT'S RIGHT, IF LIFETIME TAKES ANY OFFER FROM DICK NUTWORK, LIFETIME WILL STAND TO LOSE A LOT OF MONEY!!! I think you should read this Lifetime mods:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=39319

To date, Dick Nutwork, and HellExpress VeeEww have been hacked, which meant in the past, and now, people could get Lifetime TV, without payment to Dick or HellExpress VeeEww. So, what do think Lifetime mods, do you want to watch over 500 channels, without payment to Dick or 100 channels for HellExpress?

This will get you started.

Enjoy!!!

http://boards.lifetimetv.com/WebX?14@125.WTAsbvg8WVt.2@.ee8a9fa

Last edited:
TNGTony said:
I work for a local cable studio. Only one person at work even knew about this AND WE WORK IN THE INDUSTRY. Less people than you know have any knowledge of this and even less are interested.

See ya
Tony

Tony, I think I found out why it is more well known around here. I saw an article in the paper that said that the "Lifetime Switch to DirecTV & cable" campaign is targeted for certain areas of the country, this area, the Orlando/Melbourne/Daytona market being one of them. It is strange why they would only target certain markets.

Has Lifetime responded?

Anyone heard anything new? I guess it could be a little harder for Lifetime to figure out how to backstep out of their last statement.
:eureka

lou_do said:
Tony, I think I found out why it is more well known around here. I saw an article in the paper that said that the "Lifetime Switch to DirecTV & cable" campaign is targeted for certain areas of the country, this area, the Orlando/Melbourne/Daytona market being one of them. It is strange why they would only target certain markets.

If you aren't doing a national advertising campaign (i.e. don't want to spend that much money because you know you are on the wrong side of a losing situation) the next best thing is to target specific markets. Orlando is one of the best markets because for relatively cheap airtime (compared to say NY or LA) you can reach a wide demographic because of the large number of tourists constantly in the area.

yanks2402 said:
If you aren't doing a national advertising campaign (i.e. don't want to spend that much money because you know you are on the wrong side of a losing situation) the next best thing is to target specific markets. Orlando is one of the best markets because for relatively cheap airtime (compared to say NY or LA) you can reach a wide demographic because of the large number of tourists constantly in the area.
Really? Explain their full page ad they ran on the NY TIMES yesterday.
http://today.reuters.com/news/newsA...MEDIA-LIFETIME-ECHOSTAR-DC.XML&archived=False
That can't be cheap. :yikes

boogerbear said:
Anyone heard anything new? I guess it could be a little harder for Lifetime to figure out how to backstep out of their last statement.
:eureka
So true.. They said they did not want their viewers to pay more... Well all they have to do is call.. and get it added for free. So if they don't go for this.. they will have no choice but to admit they want carriage on everyone.. including those that don't watch.. and this is going to make lifetime look like the greedy bunch they really are.
But even with dishes' offer, everyone, including those that don't watch, can add the channel.. I am sure they don't want to except this offer.. its just going to be hard for them to do so without Dish scoring a major PR victory over it. And it appears that lifetime is more concerned about their PR and slandering Dish all over the media then they are in restoring their networks on Dish.

Last edited:
Last edited:
yanks2402 said:
You are trying to compare a NATIONWIDE advertising campaign to an in the New York Times, whose readership and circulation numbers have been declining for the last ten years. Please.
Well I read elsewhere they are running full page ads in other cities.. I know the local comcast here in albuquerque is running lifetime ads to switch over to cable etc... Maybe we are one of the target markets.. but I still think they are spending big bucks in all this media outlets.
They also ran two full page side by side ads in the LA times as well..
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-dish13jan13,1,2001668.story?coll=la-headlines-business

tell me the LA times is not major market media.. their circulation is still over 1 million during the week.... But I agree the NY times is only about a fifth that number now.

They are spending money to be sure.. in TV, radio and print.. in several states... thats costing alot of money if you ask me.

My local cable company knows nothing of any Lifetime special. Perhaps I'll take the above article over to the local office and see if they will make me an offer.

Charlie's offer to broadcast Lifetime a la carte just plain stinks. I can't see any linear thinking individuals falling for this rouse. Perhaps this deal should be properly renamed to Lifetime a la farte. El stinko!

The last Dish offer to Lifetime

There have been things Dish has done that has made me mad. I probably depend on my tv more than most here. I am disabled, and walking is a literal pain to me. I still like my dish, even though I hate the increases. When I got my first DVR for the living room, it only recorded for 40 hours or so, but it was free with a 12 month commitment. When I traded in the one in my bedroom, where I mostly stay, for the 510, I also got the upgrade free for a 12 month commitment.(or it was 99 bucks, forgot by now) I am still waiting on NBR, and no I am not holding my breath, but dish has been pretty straight forward with me. When I had an upgrade or a repair, they moved on it immediately.
As for Charlie's offer to Lifetime, I don't think it will happen. I am shocked he made it. If Lifetime takes him up on it(which I am not betting on right now) the only who will win, will be the people who want it and call in. Dish will have to set it up on an account per account basis. They will have to keep up with the paperwork that I am sure Lifetime will be all over. If Lifetime takes them up on it, I know they will not get anywhere close to what they were making off of 12 million subscribers.
I am still trying to get over the shock of this offer, and I just hope something positive comes out of it. I am an optimist at heart.

riffjim4069 said:
Perhaps this deal should be properly renamed to Lifetime a la farte. El stinko!
I agree, this does not really fit at this time.. The big multimedia conglomerates are holding on to their old bundle models which have served themselves very well.. But have not served the consumer well at all in terms of good programming and prices.
I am a bit confused about the last rejection from Lifetime. From the front page of this web site it seems they already refused the last offering.. even when Dish said it would be free for customers. I think this is over now. I don't think the last offer dish made is any different to Lifetime. Lifetime wants it bundled to the entire tier. Thats the way its always been.
I am for a la carte for sure.. There is a new thread on this site that has uncovered Dishes new HD site.. and from what I can tell from it, HD programming is going to be bundled in such a way that it will cost about 10 dollars more to get it then it did before. So even Charlie uses bundling to his advantage.
I am pretty much fed up with Cable/dbs dTV and dish.. But I have to say, out of all the options, dish is the best for me. They are only a bit cheaper since they utilize dual tuner receivers which eliminate the 5 dollar IRD fee. I also like the PQ and the receivers themselves seem to be of better construction.. The UHF radio controlled remotes are also the best I have used.
But I can see where this is all going.. The privilage for having cable/dbs will get so expensive with bundling models.. with every increasing amounts of redundant channels.. that I will eventually get a cheap OTA HD receiver and be done with it. :)

Its not a bad option really. I can get about 12 HD OTA right now for free with my Dish 811 receiver... I am getting pretty close to pulling the plug for all these cable/dbs companies.

Well? I wonder if "no news is good news"?? No response from Lifetime yet that I can find! Maybe they have come to their senses and are thinking that some Dish Lifetime viewers are better than NO Dish Lifetime viewers? :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.