Lifetime and Lifetime Movie Network off Dish due to contract dispute

AT60 with a 76% increase from $32 to $56.32
AT120 with a 76% increase from $43 to $75.68
AT180 with a 76% increase from $53 to $93.28

If all of the channels wanted the same increase that is how much more we could pay for the packages if Dish Network wants to make the same percentage of profit. If they chose to make only 3-5% more profit on the channels per year then the increase would not be as bad but would still be $10-25 more than they are now.

How many years is the contract good for?

Last edited:
I applaud Dish for standing up to the programmers. Someone has to.

FWIW, I don't think I'd like a "full" ala carte system because as some have said, it might lead to niche channels getting dropped. But I could go for a system where all Sports channels, all Family channels, all Kids channels are arranged in packages. This is how satellite's priced in Canada and it seems to work okay for them. They even have an ala carte option for some channels (which I would not be totally against, but probably would not buy, as the theme packages are a better deal).
(And, yes, there still should be a basic package that includes broadcast stations, C-SPAN, shopping channels, and the like. But everything beyond that should be broken up into theme packages.)

Stargazer said:
AT60 with a 76% increase from $32 to $56.32
AT120 with a 76% increase from $43 to $75.68
AT180 with a 76% increase from $53 to $93.28
If all of the channels wanted the same increase that is how much more we could pay for the packages if Dish Network wants to make the same percentage of profit. If they chose to make only 3-5% more profit on the channels per year then the increase would not be as bad but would still be $10-25 more than they are now.
How many years is the contract good for?

I think many of us will be shocked to see just how soon we will paying those new rates !! With our local TW cable service now bundling internet, cable and telephone, I could switch back right now and save $50.00 per month. There WILL come a time, in the not too distant future, when I will have to seriously consider this. Satellite is pricing themselves out of the market.

I'd gladly pay 7 cents to have a topic about lifetime not be the #1 topic on the site, but it's too late for that...

If lifetime comes back after this war of words seemingly out of left field, then it would absolutely be lifetime buckling. Charlie isn't really doing anything here, there's no contract and he removed the channels. Would have been nice to have some notice, but charlie is 100% in his legal right to remove channels that aren't under contract, and lifetime would be 100% in their legal right to ask them to be removed until a contract is reached.

Perhaps Lifetime initiated the whole thing. After 7 months they didn't get what they wanted so they said "Pull it, I dare ya" to charlie KNOWING he'd pull it, just to get the lifetime fans to scream at charlie to pay up. Master stroke if that's what the story is here. Since when don't we know about these things ahead of time either with Scott breaking the news or scrolls across the screen...think about it...

minnow said:
I think many of us will be shocked to see just how soon we will paying those new rates !! With our local TW cable service now bundling internet, cable and telephone, I could switch back right now and save $50.00 per month. There WILL come a time, in the not too distant future, when I will have to seriously consider this. Satellite is pricing themselves out of the market.

And many phone companies are bundling DSL/phone/satellite tv for equal prices. Competition may be out of whack in isolated areas, but you can't make a general case that one service is vastly ahead of another.

Purogamer said:
I'd gladly pay 7 cents to have a topic about lifetime not be the #1 topic on the site, but it's too late for that...

If lifetime comes back after this war of words seemingly out of left field, then it would absolutely be lifetime buckling. Charlie isn't really doing anything here, there's no contract and he removed the channels. Would have been nice to have some notice, but charlie is 100% in his legal right to remove channels that aren't under contract, and lifetime would be 100% in their legal right to ask them to be removed until a contract is reached.

Perhaps Lifetime initiated the whole thing. After 7 months they didn't get what they wanted so they said "Pull it, I dare ya" to charlie KNOWING he'd pull it, just to get the lifetime fans to scream at charlie to pay up. Master stroke if that's what the story is here. Since when don't we know about these things ahead of time either with Scott breaking the news or scrolls across the screen...think about it...

It could also just as easily be the reverse where Charlie wasn't getting what he wanted in the negotiations and he told Lifetime, "Either you agree to take XX% of an increase over a X period of time or I'll pull your stations from the air once the contract expires." Knowing full well that when the contract expires it will be during a busy TV time of year and Lifetime would usually be charging their advertisers more during this time to run advertisements. Doing this would get BOTH Lifetime's advertisers and their customers (if they agreed with Charlie's take) to yell at them.

It seems to me that if Lifetime wants the channel to be added for free Charlie should add it, on the 61.5 slot. Then if people really want it they can pay Charlie for another dish.

cablewithaview said:
ok, Lifetime and LMN both has a 5% increase yearly in there contract with a combine total of 10%. add Real Women's cost per subs and the total would be around 76% if you look at that way. Lifetime just wants to pitch Real Women and get it out to more subscribers. Dish is stone walling this effort, why I'm not for sure. Cost maybe the main factor. Keep in mind though, if a la carte becomes a reality then channels like Real Women may not have a chance if they don't get a early headstart in people viewing there content. ??? what if ???

Why the hell should Lifetime or any programmer be able to shove a new channel, with new carriage fees down our throats. I can't believe all the shallow thinking people on this thread whining on behalf of Lifetime when Charlie should be applauded for resisting every attempt by programmers to continually extort more revenue to fund a ridiculously increasing number of channels.

"Keep in mind though, if a la carte becomes a reality then channels like Real Women may not have a chance"

?!?!?!?! OMG, "Real Women" may not survive? Who's problem is that? What about the 12th ESPN or 8th Discovery channel, how will they survive? Oh, the humanity...my God, think of the children. :rolleyes:

Bring on a la carte - ASAP, and until we get it, let's hope more people like Charlie keep kicking and screaming every time a popular channel tries to leverage it's popularity to force carriage of a bunch of additional crap.

***Wow, I got my opinion out without criticizing the man-hating crap that Lifetime spews forth 24/7 and without ridiculing those of you "men" who watch this channel or questioning the masculinity of any of you that are in a relationship with a woman that finds this entertainment. I must be maturing. ***

How much of this has to do with the fact that adding Lifetime Real Women would screw up the channel lineup?:)

Dish Network would be doing Lifetime a favor by adding Lifetime Real Women for free because of the additional advertisement. All programming should be advertising supported. That should be plenty of money to keep these channels going strong if they get enough viewership.

NightRyder said:
Yeah right. You're welcome to my local POS cable system. Spend a week with them and you'll be preaching the virtues of satellite.:rolleyes:
NightRyder

I remember when I had 30 something channels, with Lifetime being one of them paying $20 something a month. Good Ole days of simple viewing.

Sarang said:
Now that I see one of the comedies on LRW I'm interested in "Caroline In the City" and I know my mom would be interested in "Providence" so I wouldn't be SO opposed to seeing LRW appear but I wish I could get YTV or a Nick All-Stars created for my tastes and I'm sure there are enough Old School Nick fans interested.

I guess Dish doesn't want to rename the packages: Top shopping channels, Top lose your channel package; and the absolute bend over grab your ankle package. :D

Stargazer said:
Dish Network would be doing Lifetime a favor by adding Lifetime Real Women for free because of the additional advertisement. All programming should be advertising supported. That should be plenty of money to keep these channels going strong if they get enough viewership.

a la carte will hurt the viewership and advertisement revenues. Advertiser will look at what will get out there and who has the most viewers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)