Lifetime and Lifetime Movie Network off Dish due to contract dispute

Sorry...I have AEP and thought LMN was on 180. As it turns out, the "Free Preview" for ENC Love on 180 is already available to 180 subs. What's Free????

I was going to drop from AEP to AT180 BEFORE this happened and just record movies from the AT180 package including Lifetime and LMN but if those channels are not there I have that much less choice. With this happening and the rate increase DirecTv keeps looking better and better. I might not save on additional outlet fees but not charging for multiple DVR fees would make up for it and the cheaper rate would make up for the cheaper rate I usually get when paying annually. DirecTv is looking like an option now more and more.

TheDishNetworkInstaller said:
It says page 6 for me, but its going to a forum setting pref.

It depends on how many post per page you have it set to.

So you have it set to around 36 post per page. Do you enjoy scrolling that much? ;)

LOL I hate clicking 20 plus next page links and makes it easier for me to scan the thread.

Fortunately for me on the LM issue, charter here is bone heads and didn't put the video trap on the line, just locked "MY" class 3 box for satellite that I put up when I installed the Dish. Oh well the lock will be coming off and they will be forced to keep the trap on the pole where it belongs considering its MY junction box not there's. They never had one on the house anyway.

Charlie has employed fuzzy math in the past so i'm sure it's 76% for SOMEONE, but not everyone. Probably a fraction of that for a lot of people but guess we'll have to wait until the 9th for charlie to try and explain his math to us...

Normally they'd just say "Call lifetime" if it was close to being fixed, but they've been saying "tune into the chat on the 9th" since the start, which tells me this will not be solved this week. Charlie has to have his CES speech told to him 300x before the start of the show and can't let some lifetime nonsense seep in or he'll lose it all...

The fact that the replacement channels aren't free, and charlie has some notion that "similar content" is ok by anyone's standards, tells me he doesn't have a leg to stand on here, and is why E* subscribers no longer support this tactic. They announced the pay increase KNOWING that lifetime wasn't going to renew and knowing they were so far away, which is also rather shady. Should have announced it earlier or waited until the lifetime deal was finalized...

NightRyder said:
Wow, 20 pages. Go away for a day and all hell breaks loose. :eek:
Just a few thoughts...
1. DirecTv will raise their rates (the same % as Dish) in March like they always do.
2. It never fails to amuse that the biggest complainers and critics of Dish negotiating tactics are always non-subscribers. Why do they care?
3. LT and LTMN will return shortly to be followed by the newest LT channel in May (which will be bragged about in the June CC), and we'll be given $1 credit and free PPV coupon again.
BTW: Happy New Year everyone! @party
NightRyder

1: http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=50606

lee78221 said:

"After raising prices an average of 4 percent across the board in March, DirecTV does not expect any increases in the new year, said spokesman Robert Mercer"

Economic conditions change monthly...they could find themselves 1c into the red next month and decide to enact a rate increase in March. You're all reading too much into that statement.

I'd also stick by NightRyder's quote--they'll raise rates as usual...there's no legitmate business reason (for them) not to.

Purogamer said:
I'm afraid to...

Here are a couple of examples:

By ritac852 on Monday, January 2, 2006 at 2:18am (#57 of 66)

I have sat here and read every posting on this board. I can't believe most of the reactions about this issue. Most of you people watch TOO MUCH TV. I watched Lifetime just like everyone else, but some of you act as if it is a death in the family. I am amazed. If Lifetime wants a rate increase let them do it to someone else. I'm finished with them either way. I have been a Dish customer for 5 years and have never had a slight infraction with the company. Seems to me that Lifetime considers themselves a "priceless" commodity. There isn't a network out there worth what Lifetime is asking. I hope Dish never puts Lifetime back on the air. It would serve them right.

By rebecahb on Monday, January 2, 2006 at 2:57am (#59 of 66)

Dish Network
I think for all the paid programmin Lifetime has they should pay Dish Network to carry these channels. You'll be out of business soon, as greed like this just doesn't pay off. I have enjoyed a few movies lifetime has had but certainly not to the tune of a 76% increase and if my rates were to go up in order to have Lifetime, I'd drop it in a minute. Your stations really aren't all that people. Get a clue or hire an adult to run this company.
I think everyone is sick to death of Golden Girls, Will and Grace etc. These show have been played to death.

jimboeau said:
Here are a couple of examples:
By ritac852 on Monday, January 2, 2006 at 2:18am (#57 of 66)
I have sat here and read every posting on this board. I can't believe most of the reactions about this issue. Most of you people watch TOO MUCH TV. I watched Lifetime just like everyone else, but some of you act as if it is a death in the family. I am amazed. If Lifetime wants a rate increase let them do it to someone else. I'm finished with them either way. I have been a Dish customer for 5 years and have never had a slight infraction with the company. Seems to me that Lifetime considers themselves a "priceless" commodity. There isn't a network out there worth what Lifetime is asking. I hope Dish never puts Lifetime back on the air. It would serve them right.
By rebecahb on Monday, January 2, 2006 at 2:57am (#59 of 66)
Dish Network
I think for all the paid programmin Lifetime has they should pay Dish Network to carry these channels. You'll be out of business soon, as greed like this just doesn't pay off. I have enjoyed a few movies lifetime has had but certainly not to the tune of a 76% increase and if my rates were to go up in order to have Lifetime, I'd drop it in a minute. Your stations really aren't all that people. Get a clue or hire an adult to run this company.
I think everyone is sick to death of Golden Girls, Will and Grace etc. These show have been played to death.
AMEN!!!

Purogamer said:
Judging by this thread i'd say there's a few new reasons for them not to...

On the contrary...nothing keeping DirecTV from raising rates but claiming "We've got the Lifetime channels you OH SO WANT, while that rotten Dish Network doesn't--AND THEY'RE STILL CHARGING YOU MORE!!"

Last edited:
BassBlaster said:
You should read some of the comments on the LifetimeTV message boards: http://boards.lifetimetv.com/WebX?14@@.ef2c62a
I just read several of the posts on Lifetime message board mentioned above. I laughed at the posters who make statements like "how dare Lifetime demand a 76% raise" when they don't even know what that means! Is it 76% over 10 years? Is it 76% over 5 or 12 years? Is it really a 76% raise at all? Charlie throws out a challenge to Lifetime to make public their contract. That's called a red herring folks! If Lifetime agreed (and they won't fall for that ) it's not going to happen. Dish has hurt themselves by announcing a large price increase is coming when they didn't even have a contract in place with one of the higher watched channel(s). Charlie deserves to take a subscriber hit on this one! If that happens maybe he will learn a lesson but I doubt he will learn anything from this! Direct and the cable companies must be laughing their butts off!

Last edited:
76% of what? AT120 is about $39. So, that should equate to pennies per channel. Of course, if all of the 120 channels raised there rate 76%. Also, I am sure that ESPN is getting more than pennies per channel now and how many ESPN channels are there.

I gotta ask...be honest guys...how many of you ever thought you'd intentionally spend time at a computer reading the Lifetime TV Message Board?!? :haha

(sorry...couldn't resist :D )

The Truth is that DISH and Charlie Ergen have pulled channels in the midst of negotiations before but Lifetime has not. The Truth is that Lifetime has completed literally hundreds of similar deals with cable and satellite distributors in the last few years and has never had this problem.
Charlie has nerves of steel . . He is my hero!

It is pennies we're talking about, and over a certain time-frame, which is why lifetime would really jar E* by doing exactly what they asked them to do (which E* only did because they know lifetime wouldn't...). If it's already this ugly, imagine what they'll be saying about each other by the 7th or 8th...oh man, put the kids to bed folks...

D* taking prices up would keep people from jumping, keeping them the same, at least for the next week, will convince people that the extra price is small enough (or the same) that they jump. Adding to that gap won't help.

In fairness to charlie's balls of steel, he didn't pull the channel in the midst of a negotiation, he pulled them when the contract was up and hasn't accepted or offered an extension...Not really all that tough if you ask me...

I do give these guys credit though, they apparently sit around on their day off, on new year's eve no less, yelling at each other over the phone and posting messages on the net instead of living it up with the millions they've got on both sides...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts