Lifetime and Lifetime Movie Network off Dish due to contract dispute

what does Lifetime & Lifetime Movie get per subsriber? Probably mere cents, Charlie is pulling a fast one, the 70% increase would result in a few cents increase.

If the basic run of the mill E* subscriber knew this, they would be pissed. It's not like the Lifetime networks generate an ESPN like per subscriber rate.

Eventually, Charlie will cave in and just like NickToons, LifeTime Real Women and the rest of the Lifetime Networks will reappear.

Wow, 20 pages. Go away for a day and all hell breaks loose. :eek:
Just a few thoughts...

1. DirecTv will raise their rates (the same % as Dish) in March like they always do.

2. It never fails to amuse that the biggest complainers and critics of Dish negotiating tactics are always non-subscribers. Why do they care?

3. LT and LTMN will return shortly to be followed by the newest LT channel in May (which will be bragged about in the June CC), and we'll be given $1 credit and free PPV coupon again.

BTW: Happy New Year everyone! @party
NightRyder

Last edited:
garn9173 said:
what does Lifetime & Lifetime Movie get per subsriber? Probably mere cents, Charlie is pulling a fast one, the 70% increase would result in a few cents increase.
This is probably true.

If the basic run of the mill E* subscriber knew this, they would be pissed. It's not like the Lifetime networks generate an ESPN like per subscriber rate.
This is not true. The Lifetime Networks audience is almost as large as that of ESPN...minus the beer and add a box of Kleenex.

bookwalk said:
This is SUCH a bunch of bologna with DISH. I went through this with C-Band when they were losing Lifetime. I mounted a concerted effort for everyone to call/email Lifetime Network. FINALLY, NPS started carrying it as a Digital channel and is still on C-band that way, as far as I know. Now, NPS is a very low-budget satelite provider these days, as there are very, very few C-band subscribers anymore. So, those few, however, seemed to have enough "power" to iinfluence NPS to carry it, as well as LIfetime to negotiate with them.

Now, here's DISH with millions more subscribers and this little Lifetime channel is supposedly causing them so much grief? Don't believe it. Email the CEO and don't put up with this AT all.

Threaten to get an old C-band dish -- which most of you can get for a song and dance and set it to point at the ONE satellite that provides Lifetime--you can probably get a $200 Mpeg receiver and find it, too, but if you want C-band,you need to invest $400 in a 4DTV 922, BUT that can also be used to receive HD.

Well, ok--you don't want to do that, but what else CAN you do? Switch to Direct - TV--well, maybe. But, again, with that 3rd Satelite Provider, VOOM gone, this is just going to continue happening.

C-band did give us credit for the lost channel--DISH ought to do the same--there ought to be a credit on our next bill for every day that it is gone.

Even though I've invested $200 in the 942, I may just wait till Direct-TV gets HD and in good quality and see what type of deal they have OR revert to C-band.

Yes, I am the lady of the house and I do make programming decisions for our household. I think this is very chauvinistic to remove this channel or "threaten" us with rate increases.

If I listed all the channels on DISH that are guy-oriented, they would far outnumber the "chick" channels and wonder why--I think we women actually outnumber the guys, not only in numbers, but in hours watching the tube.

So, women could exert their power and cancel subscriptions AND, as I did with C-band, call Lifetime and threaten to boycott the sponsors of certain programs we like and then DO it--contact the sponsors and threaten to boycott their product if they continue to advertise on LIFETIME, since it, along with DISH are double-dealing us!

This just proves that Lifetime has had issues in the past in their dealings. Go ahead and get your C-Band. Charlie could care less what is advertised on Lifetime. I'm with Charlie... (HDNet cranking)

G.

Government mandate leads to free market???

I can't believe I'm reading these things in the same post:
"even if the government has to mandate it by law."
"This is true capitalism and free market influences will set the price."
The government is the PROBLEM. The government mandating anything taints the free market.

nsafreak said:
Don't worry NightRyder you aren't going nuts 21 of 21 here too and likely to be 23 when I next check on it.

Thanks nsafreak, I didn't think I drank THAT much last night. :D ;)

NightRyder

Must be a Satellite guys record.

Most pages in the shortest amount time.

This is part of the game of negotiations. I understand what has to be done, and back E's ploy. Lifetime will be back. Both parties have noticed. 70% is out of line.
You have to let it play out.

chelsea said:
Must be a Satellite guys record.

Most pages in the shortest amount time.

This is part of the game of negotiations. I understand what has to be done, and back E's ploy. Lifetime will be back. Both parties have noticed. 70% is out of line.
You have to let it play out.

Yep.

If it was not New Years holiday and not on the weekend then we would have seen a LOT more hits already. Expect a LOT more hits tomorrow. Heck some people probably still do not know about it yet because they are probably still out partying or hungover or tired after staying up all night. We will probably see at least twice the number of pages within the next day or two.

The numbers I've seen for Lifetime are that their average primetime marketshare is 1.6%, and about 4% watch it at one time or another during a week.

So 96% of Dish's subs never watch it. It is hard to believe that pulling such a channel would spark a "mass exodus" of subscribers. Heck, 48 out of every 50 subs aren't even going to notice that it is missing.

Still, I would be surprised if it is gone for any length of time.

PS ... this controversy just motivated me to tune into Lifetime for the first time ever, just to read the message. However since it is now WE, I technically have still never viewed a Lifetime program.

Last edited:
Charlie must have cojones of steel to claim that his customers should enjoy a "free preview" of Encore Love--only if they subscribe to AT180 (even even though it's already included in that package).

( from the latest message at http://www.fairsatellite.com/ )

Until such time as we have a new contract with Lifetime Television, I hope you will enjoy the free previews of:

- Women's Entertainment on channel 108
- Encore Love on channel 109*
* Where available. Requires subscription to America’s Top 180 programming package.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts